3U VS 4U Need help please

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by slair76116, Sep 16, 2012.

1. slair76116

slair76116 Regular Member

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    Going to buy VT-ZF When I went to the shop and handled both versions I felt the 3u better in my hand than the 4u. I felt the head heaviness in the 3U felt like the 4U was balanced.

I will not get a chance to play with them before I buy so I cant decide which one to get I thought the 4U will be better till I actually had it in my hand.

Confused :confused:

2. visor

visor Regular Member

depends on your arm strength and game play...

if strong and attacking and singles, then 3u, otherwise 4u

one thing about the vtzf head weight is that you don't feel it until you try to smash/clear/defend...you can't tell from just swinging around

3. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    So for some guys 3u might be better than 4u?I can feel the momentem build with 3u but not with the 4u

4. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    OBVIOUSLY.
    Yonex released both versions because there is a significant population of people who do better with 3U than 4U, and vice versa. If both work for you, then it's a matter of whether you want power (3U), or quickness (4U).

If you want both power and quickness... then spend that racquet money on more court time for training instead :p

5. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I'm just really surprised the heavier racket feels better. I wonder though if it won't when I'm play an hour or so

6. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    bought one ZF 4u one 3u and a vt80

Now I like the VT80 more than the ZF

The ZF3u I bought formyself after putting grip on it feel totally wrong :(

I wish there was a way to trial these racket before buying

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    generally, that's what we would recommend a potential buyer to do first before spending two bills on a new racket

8. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I have 2 guys back home who will buy 2 rackets from me when I get there. They don't care about 3u or 4u. So I will keep one and sell 2.Rackets are cheaper here compared to dubai by at least 100 sgd. Me being here on vacation was just lucky.I bought 3 ashway rackets as well also for 3 more friends now I'm worried about how I will take 6 rackets with me to dubai. I hope they let me take it in the cabin with me in the aircraft.

9. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

3U = +1Lbs more tension.
    4U = -1Lbs more tension.

i personally prefer 3U as it'll be worry-free when the racket accidentally clashes with others. weight-wise, i can barely tell the different of 3-4gram.

10. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I played with both the 3u and 4u, the 3u gets my arm tired after about 15 minutes. But the power in the shots are much more.

Thanks for all your help guys.

bought 2 rackets for my-self.

11. gundamzaku

working professional
    i've taken more in a 6 racket bag. just count it as one carry-on and you'll be fine. also, make sure you have a small towel or a thing sweat shirt to cushion the inside edge of the bag in case someone's aluminum frame 22" bumped into your badminton bag. when i travel back to the US from asia with that many rackets, i always hit the local badminton gym and play with all of them so they will look worn and it won't look like i've just purchased them. but you're buying for friends so that's a bit tough :(

12. gundamzaku

working professional
    tho there isn't much difference in the weight itself between 3u and 4u of the same racket, once you start playing, the swing weight comes into play and the difference is very obvious!!!

13. maxout

maxout Regular Member

100% agree ... this is a KEY POINT missed by many beginners/intermediate players when they buy NEW racquets, with many going for the state-of-the-art, most head-heavy or that is what so-and-so used, so it is great for me too !!

After purchasing and playing a game or two, they found that these new "weapons" are almost unsuitable for their game, build, strength and style and most ended up selling them at a loss ...

Sometimes I wonder whenever I see so many VTZF (and other high-end racquets) offered in the Buy/Sell market place forum wondering if that is so .... I know a couple of my club mates have done so .... VTZF was just killing them !!

14. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I'm upgrading from a first gen AT700,

I love the VTZF 3u with Ultimax at 25lbs, but it gets me tired soon. I guess I'll spend some time working on my endurence and stragenth my arms a bit more.

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    i have a friend who is an older gentleman in his 50s. he's been using an isometric 600 power for a very long time. and when he cracked one of his two 600 power, he didn't want to use the other one to play anymore because it holds sentimental value to him. so he was looking for a replacement and thought maybe he would get the voltric z force because his son in high school heard everyone talking about it at school. so he bought one, i strung it at 26lbs, and for the life of him he could not get any shots right for the first 5 months. he said it's hard as a rock, heavy as hell, and when he hits, it also hurt his elbow. finally he bought a second racket in the arcsaber series and played much better.

given that you're used to the head heaviness from an AT700, it is also important that no two rackets even with the same specs are alike. you must allow time for yourself to relearn how to swing a racket. tho the learning curve is not as steep, you must allow yourself time.

so it is great that you understand that you need some time to work on your endurance/strength AS WELL AS your form :) good luck, and let us know what you think about the racket. i love reading racket reviews!!!

16. Nicky_Boy02

Nicky_Boy02 Regular Member

Space Explorer
    I have a first generation of AT700 3U too. Have you try out the VTZF 4U? If you do, can you compare 3U vs 4U of VTZF? I'm in dilemma of getting either 3U or 4U of the VTZF. I have tried VTZF 4U and I felt the racket to be pretty light and lack of feel. I'm not sure if VTZF 3U will suit me more. Well, VTZF isn't a cheap racket, so I don't want to cry over spilled milk for getting the wrong racket :(

17. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I have both the 3u and 4u vt zf and had the same issue you described. Lack of feel. I only had a chance to US both once because I'm in physio therapy for my knee and am not suppose to play. The 3u had the best feel and max Clarence from the back of the court. I did feel it made my responses slower but the smashes were good. I got tired after 15 minutes but not I'm a fat guy and I not fit. I believe its my lack if endurance.The 4u was ok. Maybe I needed more time to play with it. But off the bag it just felt like another good racket. I didn't feel the head heaviness. Shots were of normal power but I did react well to attacks my defence was much improved.I will play with both again only after 2 weeks after I recover from my knee injurySorry I know I'm not much help. But I only played with both once.

18. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

IMHO

VTZF 3U = lots of power but lack of speed / maneuverability

VTZF 4U = better maneuverability but its output power is far less than the 3U

AT700 3U = perhaps its power output is equal with VTZF 3U, but the maneuverability is equal with VTZF 4U

In addition, VTZF is a lot stiffer compared to AT700

CMIIW

19. Nicky_Boy02

Nicky_Boy02 Regular Member

Space Explorer
    No worries.. Your comment helps a lot, at least I have a rough idea of 3U and 4U. I hope you get well soon :). I'm not in a hurry of getting VTZF yet. Well, I'm still a student and I just moved to a new apartment and new semester just started and have spent a lot of money on books, furniture, rental and stuff like that, so I'm still saving up $$$ for it. Well, I'm looking forward to your new updates on 3U vs 4U. Do notify me once you have tried out both as I believe we both are of the same track.

20. hasbul04

hasbul04 Regular Member

businesman
    if u are average player,i recommend you to use 4u becoz its easier to handle its.3u is more heavier and generates more power (gaps are not to much 10.5 for 4u and 11 for 3 u but its can effect your gameplay much).i use 4u becoz im more front player and i need more fast swing to intercept return ball.its up to you and your gameplay style.