JJS/LYD - Road to the WR #1

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by narnia, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

The last sentence seems a bit off. Seems they don't realise he's going to the army :p

2. event

event Regular Member

Your emoticon seems to indicate that you are joking but I still don't get it. Your ambiguous pronoun reference doesn't help, either. For the record, Lee Yong Dae doesn't have to go to the army since he has won an Olympic medal. Shon, Ko, and Yoo will have to at some point, unless they win a medal in London or gold in Incheon 2 years from now, though that might be too late for Yoo. If by 'he' you meant Jung, that makes little sense as well, since he's already been.

However, you might be referring to the 4-week stint that Lee Hyun Il did in 2003 or 2004, even after he won Asian Games team gold. At that time, Lee had to stop playing and do basic training for 4 weeks but he didn't have to do the full 2 years and he didn't have to play for the military badminton team and instead went straight from his university to his pro team. The 4-week deal might happen to Lee Yong Dae, too, but that won't preclude him from getting a new partner.

In 2004 and 2008, the Korean Olympians took a long break after the Olympics. After Beijing, Ha/Kim played in the Japan Open but the rest of the Olympic team rested until the China Open in November, although all played in the National Sports Festival in October and Hwang Yu Mi, Ha Jung Eun, Kim Min Jung, and Lee Jae Jin all played in a domestic tournament one month after Beijing. This year, though, the BWF will force the top players to play in Denmark, minus the retirees of course.

3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

And he's going back. Not all army service is obligatory.

4. event

event Regular Member

This is true. However, I wonder if you are basing your statement on this single posting, where *chance* said that Gillian Clark said that Jung was going back to the army.

Not that I've heard him asked for his post-Olympic plans but until I hear otherwise, I am assuming there is some misunderstanding. This in-depth interview, for example, came out right after the All England and the writer says, at the end, that he guesses questions about what Jung will do after the Olympics will have to wait until August because there is only one thing on his mind.

He has mentioned his retirement many times in several articles and they all refer to his years devoted to competitive badminton, to his new wife, and to his loss of his mother but I have seen no reference to plans to go back to the army. That doesn't mean that he isn't planning to, of course, but without something more definite, I would stop short of implying that the Star is ill-informed because they don't mention it.

5. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Another video I made for Korean badminton... hope you all like!

[video=youtube;lNp2j6t3fEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNp2j6t3fEM[/video]

6. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Can someone please also translate what Lee and Chung and saying in this video? :)

[video=youtube;oXNQcn9pK9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXNQcn9pK9g[/video]

7. visor

visor Regular Member

wow! some pretty intense rallies there! :D

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Badminton duo grateful for seven years together

The Korea Herald | 2012-08-08 08:19

Winning bronze medal at the London Olympics wasn't exactly how they wanted to end their partnership, but the South Korean men's doubles badminton team of Chung Jae-sung and Lee Yong-dae said Tuesday they were still thankful for each other's presence.

Chung and Lee, ranked No. 1 in the world, took third place in doubles. They came into London as the favorites, but lost to Mathias Boe and Carsten Mogensen of Denmark in the semifinals.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Read more : http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view.php?ud=20120808000112&cpv=0

9. Heong

Heong Regular Member

I love their mentality, it is just so right....

Lee Yong Dae is right, the gold medal isn't everything. I think for him and Jung, the bronze is just as valuable as the gold. The medal is only the colour, but their friendship will last forever and this bronze holds 7 years of handwork, successes and the bond of this pair.

No matter what I am proud of both of them... they have always been so mentally strong.

10. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

I have to say it now, it's been too long: I hate the danish pair for screwing up what should have been a superb Olympic final!