What are some mind games to play on your opponents in Doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Birdy, Feb 5, 2014.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

bah... if you're going to go to all that, may just as well do what i do...
    yell out really loudly and pretend to smash or play a hard shot, then gently drop or dink it over...;)

works every single time... :D

2. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

^^ Once bitten, twice shy. Doesn't really work on me now, lol. In fact, I find most people will actually adjust to it after being faked once or twice.

3. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    My men's dubs partner often says out loud so the opposition can hear, "hit it on that one" and points with his racket at the weaker player :D

He'll also say "watch the high one" when receiving serve almost every time against decent opposition in a tournament. This concentrates me on watching the flick serve to make a call and also puts doubt in the opposition's mind as to what serve my partner is anticipating them to produce.

Another is us saying "who's got the big balls" after the opposition goes for a net kill and misses when attacking particularly tight net shot or chip and charge from us, where we've had to try especially hard to resist lifting. :D

4. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I do this. I can be known to get quite noisy. :eek:

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I only think the mindgames is on for myself. It's easy to disperse these mindgames effect by inhaling much air, keep it for a couple of seconds, then exhale with some loud shouting. then focus your mind again. simple.

I think the greatest mindgames is the face expression, just choose the smile or expressionless. Don't show you are tired and worried. The other thing is to hand over the shuttle with respect. just like what Lee jong Bak taught. Pick the shuttle, and handover it with respect. it takes time and allows us to breath. don't be disrespectful as it will show you have already lost the mental battle.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    blow your noses every 5 minutes. :D

7. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Badminton is also about mental toughness, I use this to my advantage, only during club training or practice I will say to the opponent 'no pressure' when it is a tough point (19 all or something like that). I see it all the time, they most likely make a mistake.

In a match I will talk to myself alot and sometimes say 'no more errors, lets go'. I cannot stress how important making sure you practice the mental aspect of the game is.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I think saying "no pressure", "calm down", "no more errors", "relax" will just make the one you said it to (yourself, friend, enemy) will actually make them more nervous

9. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    Yes I say it jokingly at club nights to test mental toughness of players and most likely I am right and they make an error.

During matches I only talk to myself to control my mental attitude and only encourage my partner with 'don't worry about that shot, lets get the next one.' or 'bad luck, right shot'. I never criticise my partner on court, my role is the calm one to help him or her stay positive in all aspects, even under pressure.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?

10. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    Mind games? Why? You mean you actually need them?

11. takahira

takahira Regular Member

Something to do with software
    Aside from hitting to the slightly weaker opponent, I will increase my swing speed on serve last moment to add some deception.

12. No_footwork

No_footwork Regular Member

Accountant
    At the risk of coming off like a stick in the mud, I don't think you should spend your time worrying about "mind games". Instead, focus on making your own game better and beating your opponents based on your better play. Isn't that's the point of amateur competition?

Personally, I don't wish bad luck on my opponents. That's why I am sincere when I apologize if I win a point by clipping the net or occasionally framing a shot. I don't do this for money, I do want to win but not at the cost of being unsportsmanlike. Quite opposite, I try to uphold the spirit of sportsmanship. If a shot is close where I can't tell if it's in or out, I give my opponent the point. But don't take this to mean I am meek. I'm out there to kick my opponents' butts, but fairly.

Isn't it more satisfying to know when you win, it's because you were simply better than your opponent that day?

#52 No_footwork, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  13. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    Yes but it is a big part of match play. If you know you are up against a stronger opponent on paper, it sometimes help to use mental toughness to play the points tactically and then unsettle them. It's not about wishing bad luck, I know plenty of strong players that are weak mentally. They make a few mistakes and then it becomes a habit and their head drops, or some that are their worst enemies, as they beat themselves up about points that are in the past. If you stronger in this department then you have an edge over them. Everything adds to the eventual result, whether it is a win or a loss.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Wisdom is what's left after we've run out of personal opinions.