2014 Yonex New Racket (Voltric Z-Force II / VT-ZF2)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ZeroSOFInfinity, Jan 14, 2014.

1. n0m5ky

n0m5ky Regular Member

Personally, I don't fancy any all-in-black rackets because they look like cheap ones (you can find a nice black racket here for ¥100 in a 100 yen shop.. Haha). Maybe we should wait for a special edition version of ZF II? I'd love to have one with any color except black!

#301 n0m5ky, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    That's what I was thinking as well, just as with the ZSpeed... Painting on both these rackets feel cheap.

3. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I'm in the Z-Force boat, but only because it came after the VT80 hehe. For me, both rackets played quite similarly. No racket was clearly more demanding than the other. Neither racket improved my quality or power of shots or made me play technically better. And neither racket improved my footwork either hehe.

Regardless, I'm very looking forward to the Z-Force II!

4. malinosega

malinosega Regular Member

student
    Wow matte black and heavy. Looks like yang guo's sword (RotCH ref:p) or u know,, training racket :D lol.

Agreed with wingu on zs color. Flash orange made it look like cheap junior racket. But this 'look' on zfII will vary with the player's ability. Coz black is neutral.

5. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Personally I think it's one of their best looking rackets yet. Understated, simple but still aggressive looking.

I've pre ordered one now. I just had to, so I can review it and see how it truly compares to the VT80, MX90 and MX JJS. You won't get any hype or fluff from me, my opinion will be straight and honest. If I think it under performs I will state as much. That being said, I'm genuinely curious by the design, and can't wait to compare and contrast several aspects of it.

I am slightly concerned about the new grommet design though. As much as they may be more solid or aerodynamic, they might add undue extra weight, and on top of that cost more money to replace. I hope this is not Yonex's way of taking more money from us and does actually improve the design and performance.

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    dang it! i just dyed my hair blonde and got the same haircut he has as well :(

touche

thank you for sharing, just looking at the frame it looks like a nanoray800 in matte color format. to be honest, i like rackets that are either flashy or stealthy, and this as well as my revelation falls under the stealthy category :) loving it!!!

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Stop shouting! ;)

8. Deity

Deity Regular Member

Apparently it has the slimmest shaft but it doesn't look than thin on the pictures

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    seriously? ok i'll stop with the bold face, it's just easier on the eyes, but i'll stop. :)

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Phone camera lenses distort the image on close-ups. That's why most "selfies" look like outer-space creatures ;)

11. Deity

Deity Regular Member

LOL cobalt. That's so true hahaha. On the side note, I'll be receiving this racket on the week of Feb 24th according to the store I preordered from :D

12. sy0182003

sy0182003 Regular Member

Customer Service

13. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    Retails price at MYR 849 and available to order for booking.
    i would predict many casual players would suffer due to the stiffness and hammering effect.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

^ just think of it as an expensive training racket... ;)

15. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I can't wrap my head around the design. Comparing the high res image to the high res image of the VT80, I can't get them to match up. Either the entire racket is a good degree longer than the VT80, or it's slightly longer but has an overall smaller sized head.

Does anyone know how long the ZF2 is overall?

16. Penwinack

Penwinack Regular Member

I wonder if RI use ZFII:cool: ,maybe her surpise me in AE.:D

17. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Ok, so I've photoshopped some images together of the last 3 big head heavy type rackets Yonex have released, the Voltric 80 (my current go to racket), the Z-Force and the Z-Force II.

Now, I realise Paul Stewart and a few others said they didn't have the same timing or sweet spot issues with the ZF as they did the Z-slash, but personally I, and a few others felt the F-Force was less consistent for with sweet spots compared to the VT80, and it could have been because of the smaller head.

Here's the image I cooked up.

[​IMG]

Few observations (provided my comparison above is accurate).

---

Head size.

The Z-Force has a smaller head (both height and width) compared to the other two rackets. This might give it a smaller overall sweet spot, but give shots a bit more power and focus. Smaller heads are not however my personal cup of tea (I didn't get along with the Z-slash either, partly for this reason).

The Z-Force II however now has basically the same head size as the VT80, just with ever so slightly more height, and fractionally less width. This is a great change imo.

---

Shaft length and overall length.

The Z-Force has a slightly shorter shaft compared to the VT80, which may give it a higher point of flex, and make it seem ever stiffer still. This might explain why it's quite a lot more demanding to use compared to the VT80 for some users like myself, what with the extra stiffness plus a shorter shaft.

Now here's where it gets interesting. It looks like the Z-Force II not only has a longer and slimmer shaft than both the VT80 and Z-Force (which should compensate somewhat for the extra stiffness, and give it a more forgiving point of flex), it is also longer overall than either of the other rackets.

The only other longer than normal racket I've used is an MX80 that was 680mm instead of 675mm, and I would say that coupled with the stiffness, this did actually help me in getting sharper angles with smashes. It is possible that Yonex had similar thinking with the Z-Force II.

---

Here's some photo's of the Z-Force vs the VT80 confirming my sizing at least with these two rackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, just some random observations. Apologies if I've made any mistakes. I personally can't wait to test the Z-Force II to see if these changes will be positive or negative.

#317 Naim.F.C, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  18. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I still think the ZF2 head looks more like the ZSpeed head than the VT80 though. Especially if you look at 10, 2, 4 and 8 o'clock.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Good comparison. With the increased overall length, looks like bp is going to be a monster of 320mm or more. :eek:

20. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I agree, but the important point I was making was about how this time the actual head size is roughly the same as the VT80 and many other rackets, unlike the Z-Slash and Z-Force which are noticeably smaller.