What will be Kwun's newest camera?

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by Cheung, Sep 4, 2009.

?

What will be Kwun's newest camera for badminton photography?

1. Canon 7D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nikon D700

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Micro 4/3rds camera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. None of the above but it will be Nikon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. None of the above but it will be Canon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This is a non-interchangeable lens camera but makes big claims about it being great for photojournalism in available light. Available light photography must use fixed focal length prime lens of a speed of at least F/2.0, preferably F/1.4 with the lens designed to perform at its optimal at maximum aperture. This alone eliminates almost all prime lenses except the very expensive top of the line fast lenses made by no more than 4 or 5 lens manufacturers in the market. No zooms are specifically made for available light photography, for the simple reason that they cannot live up to the name. After-market independent lens manufacturers, like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, make big claims but they are a false economy for fast available light lenses.

2. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    i really wanna see how good it is! and most importantly, i wanna see your photos taneepak. i've never got the time to do it. so, can u do that for us instead?

can u tell me who they are? presonally, i would think pros will always bring the right gear to the right secne!

what about focusing speed?

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I think you are mixing up things a bit here. Four Thirds is just an aspect ratio, just like Three Twos as used to refer to FF dslr. At least Four Thirds loses less of its usable area than Three Twos (now you are being confused?).
    Technically it loses half its diagonal, just like a small large format 4" x 5" camera has a diagonal that is 3.5 times longer than a 35mm FF dslr.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Would they use the same equipments??..

..ask them if they would take actions/sports/journalism pics with their 4"x5" format camera??..:eek:

As for press photographers being designated a special place for taking picture, it doesn't only apply to badminton event. It's not so much abt them taking up spaces, but more so the equipments needed to do the job.
    Check out this pic, at a swimming event:
    [​IMG] Try to find any of those press photographers taking pics with their P&S or 4"x5" format cameras or their 4/3 cameras?!?!...Where are they???..:confused::eek:

And here's one who took pics sitting in the middle of the spectators, during last yr's badminton event @ the OG:
    [​IMG]

#24 ctjcad, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    that is a great idea.
    can the micro 4/3 survive at iso3200 to iso6400? yeah, we just need some one to show us in here, no need big print.
    i want the the answers too.....:D

6. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

I think it is clear that by "Four Thirds size" I refer to the 18×13.5 mm sensor size used by Olympus/Panasonic rather than the ratio. It is rather disingenuous of you to pretend to be confused.

#26 NanoBatien, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Since you are the supporter of micro four thirds over FF DSLR, the onus is on you to prove the advantage of this format with its incumbant lens. It would be double standards if you do not practice what you preach...

I did allow a compromise - you can loan the appropriate micro four thirds equipment to one of us for use. I nominate Kwun to be the recipient.:cool:

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Strange as it may seem, I don't have a micro four thirds camera, let alone any of its lenses, etc. I am talking about concepts.
    I do not expect many of you to venture into the micro four thirds, maybe for fear of "what will the neighbours think?" However, the strong ones will dare venture forth. Time will tell.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I may be mistaken but I believe there was not one single badminton photo in the Hong Kong newspapers of the Olympics Games in Beijing. What about the news media in other countries? Have you seen any Olympics badminton photos in colour in the local papers? Or were they all just black and white?

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Can you please explain what exactly do you mean, photographically?
    What exactly is "middle Four Thirds size of your frame"? How do you crop to use only the "middle Four Thirds size of your frame"? If "Four Thirds size" is the 18 x 13.5 mm sensor then what is the "middle Four Thirds size"? Is it the middle of 18 x 13.5 mm? If it is, where and how do you determine the "middle"?

11. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    yes, i will definitely venture into micro 4/3.
    condition;
    1. zoom lens (24-105mm f/2-4, in 35mm format relevance)
    2. built-in flash
    3. less than or around USD500
    very nice for my p&s camera, that as extra camera to my DSLR. :)

12. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    nothing strange at all! but i must say it is very interesting! are u a writer of some camera magazines?

13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    HK papers must be on diet. :D:p

i can say most other countries prefer coloured-newspaper.
    example; (a small small tournament, tiny news, compare to Olympic)
    Monday September 7, 2009

Chong Wei urges Kwong Beng to thrive on Misbun’s harsh treatment

By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: The fasting month teaches perseverance.
    And world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has challenged younger compatriot Chan Kwong Beng to persevere in tough training sessions to help him become a world-class player.
    The 22-year-old Kwong Beng was reduced to tears last week after receiving a tongue lashing from coach Misbun Sidek for showing a lack of commitment in training. Misbun had chased Kwong Beng out of the training session for two hours.
    [​IMG] Feeling down: Chan Kwong Beng was reduced to tears by coach Misbun Sidek’s tongue lashing last week.
    Chong Wei hoped that Kwong Beng would show better attitude in training after experiencing the harsh treatment from Misbun.
    “What Kwong Beng went through is nothing new. I have seen Misbun being angry like this almost four years ago,” said the 27-year-old Chong Wei.
    “In fact, I had experienced this when I was younger. Misbun threw me out of training for a week because I took it easy in training.
    “So I can understand how Kwong Beng felt. But he should not give up. He should take Misbun’s stern warnings on a positive note.”
    Chong Wei added that he had seen improvement in Kwong Beng since they began sparring against each other this year.
    At the Macau Open last month, Kwong Beng chalked up his career best win, beating Hong Kong’s Ng Wei in the third round.
    “Kwong Beng has provided me with quality sparring sessions together with another back-up player, Lok Chong Chieh. I believe Kwong Beng has a good future,” said Chong Wei.
    “But he will not make it if he does not show the desire to improve. He has to change his attitude and not play well only when he feels like it. There is no easy way to success.
    “I became the Malaysian champion when I was 22. He is fortunate that Misbun has faith in him and chosen him to spar and train with me on a full-time basis.
    “I am willing to part my knowledge and experience to him but it is his loss if he does not make good use of this opportunity.”
    Kwong Beng is now ranked 88th in the world and he has yet to win an Open title.
    The other players in the back-up squad include Tan Chun Seang, Chong Wei Feng, Liew Daren and Mohd Arif Abdul Latif. But they come under the charge of Indonesia’s former world champion Hendrawan.

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

mr drifit, can we call astro to broadcast a special channel in this case too?:rolleyes:;)
    or shall we have some 48 hours badminton?:D

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    can you elaborate the concepts. i am interested.

is that you using the micro 4/3? :D

Attached Files:

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Since there was an impressive show of professional photographers at the Beijing Olympics, it would be more relevant to have colour photos taken by these professionals appear in the local press. I found nothing in the SCMP in Hong Kong. Maybe, other countries did print them. If so please share. If not, then all those professional photographers went to the Beijing Olympics on a free holiday?
    I have a close relative, a sports reporter for Malaysia's leading Chinese newspaper, who was sent to both the Beijing Olympics and the UEFA EURO 2008, to cover and report on these two event's sporting activities. He was accompanied by a professional photographer. Also, one of my nieces reports for a leading Chinese daily in Malaysia, covering politics and governmental affairs-very useful resource for special favours from the top if you have a problem-who would not take any photos herself but would insist a professional photographer accompany her as and when she requests when on assignment. I asked both of them over dinner wasn't this a waste of resources? Why can't they bring along a camera with them and do two jobs at the same time, like reporting + photographing all in one? They were stumped but just said that was not how they do it in Malaysia. Isn't the word "photojournalism" a profession that combines the two? Take it from me, if I were to asked to clean up a newspaper that is losing money in Malaysia, I have a lot of fat I can get rid of. I see the same "fat" in today's bulky 35 mm FF cameras!
    Surely, there must be hundreds of colour photos showing LCW's exploits in Beijing filling all the pages of Malaysia's papers. What about Korea, China, Japan, Danmark, England, USA, Indonesia?

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Let me lead you on a world tour but I will provide you the basic elements for you to put together some semblance of structure. First, one thing at a time.
    An idea, one that will persuade everyone, everywhere to have a powerful photographic tool, beyond the P&S, to easily put in his pocket or her handbag. Now what sort or what type of "animal" that fits the bill?
    Drifit, can you try to pick it up from here? If in doubt, let us discuss.

18. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    yes, i do want to know the exact concepts that 4/3 or micro 4/3 into. the concepts so good that even Leica and mr taneepak reluctant to venture into.
    as it is easy to carry where ever we go, you might consider to get one. snapping photos along your travelings. taking family photos. photos quality that on par with Leica 35mm.
    now, we can get kwun venture into micro 4/3 or 4/3. again, i will definitely get into them as when they can meet my criteria that i mentioned before. :)

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Sigh, you challenge us to use the micro four thirds for badminton and yet you are not willing to put your money where your mouth is. That strikes a chord of hypocrisy.

May I turn your own words back: I do not expect you to venture into the micro four thirds, maybe for fear of "what will the neighbours think?" you=taneepak and neighbours=other forum members.

For all your arguments, taneepak, we would dearly love to see some of your badminton photos. We would like to see your persuasive arguments backed up by photos. After all, what use is equipment if not implemented to take a photo which can then be admired upon.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

hey, how come so few people voted on my poll. This must the record lowest votes on a poll on BF.:(