Tribute to WS greatest ever player: Susi " the Ballerina" Susanti

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Yoppy, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    I do not mind but for in this Open and Premier era, only these two players really stand out in the contention.

Ye ZhaoYing and Zhang Ning are not that GREAT but their contribution and effort to win many titles under their names will guarantee them a place in the Hall of Fame to be remembered. They are not one hit wonders and it's a pity they are not Lin Dan.

Wang Xin will never be in the Hall of Fame because it's too late for her to establish that but I will remember how much she actually contributed to the team overall just like Bao Chunlai.
    Without them, China as a team will not succeed. WSX and WYH are lucky to be around at the right place and time.

For the record, at the age of 24, WYH is just three titles short of matching ZN's career titles? Imagine after six years, how her title collections would turn out to be.
    As for WSX, I will say she is a big tournament player. Only 22 years old, she has only two major titles remaining to match Lin Dan's divine record.

Enough said, these two are in my ONLY list to contend for the Tian Sha Di Yi in WS category.
    Only time will tell whether LXR deserves to be added into the contention list because she has not proven yet in the grand occasion.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..in 20 or 30 yrs, maybe even less, there could be no more badminton event in the OG (which probably will secure LD's case)..Last heard/read, badminton event could be taken out by 2020 OG (reason is lacking support)..

anyway, you 2, let's leave this thread before the rest of the INA and Susy's supporters chase you guys around..

3. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    When 9 titles is very possible, surely 4 is not enough (She can surpass the achievement of Rudi Hartono from pre-historic era). Many of Susi's rivals looks down to All England (9 times out of 10 editions in Susi's era)...but the result was very - very shocking : Susi won AE 3 times (exclude AE 1991) and failed 6 times ! :p
    LLW, Ye ZY, Lim XQ, Bang SH, GZC & Zhang Ning looks down to All England (or maybe they looks down to Susi ? :p)...they played in Swedish Open (held 1 week before AE)...but in the end, they can beat the fresh, focus and greatest Susi (according to her fanatic fans). When greatest player only focus in 1 tournament, who on earth can beat her again and again ? Greatest player lose to an average players whom are not fresh and focus again and again ? Where is the logic ? :p

#83 Fortune, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  4. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
  5. naistav

naistav Regular Member

Very provocative.
    Some can praise a player as they please, but should other disagree, better not to put nasty discredit like this.
    YZY achievements is ... where is her OG gold? 96? No. It's BSH, 2000? She was ordered to lose to GZC. 2004? Oh she was retired. 1992? Oops.. Susi won at age 21, and err .. YZY was too young of 18 yrs. Some say if not won in young age, she is not good, Eh?
    GZC gold medal 2000 was tainted, YZY was ordered to lose to her.
    BSH, She never won WC.
    So, with slightly better achievement of Susi had, why they should looks down to Susi? Where is the logic? :D
    LLW, HA both are Susi's idol, were unlucky to not having OG held on their era. In my opinion, if they are at same era, there would be good rivalry.
    ZN is comparable to Susi, maybe slightly better in achievement (despite of OG 2008 are some considered as a bit controversy of her won over XXF)
    Ehm, btw, ZN never won AE, although she participated most of her years career.
    So, Susi might not be the only one greatest, but she is definitely one of the greatest WS.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    How can we discredit the achievement of Susi Susanti?

Agree... How can we discredit the achievement of Susi when she was the best at her time?

The problem in our discussion is BCers are trying to compare players from different time-lines.

7. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account
    very wise say, not like someone

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Here's something for you to ruminate upon. None of the chinese ever beat this lady.

9. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    For LLW, lack of stamina is not a problem, even if she against the younger player whom rely on stamina, and not skills. When 18 years old Susi was affraid to play WS in 3 consecutive events (7 matches in 2 events)...the 25 years old LLW dare to play WS in Swedish, and WS & WD in AE & French 1989 (21 matches in 3 events in 3 consecutive weeks), plus the fact that LLW won all WS titles in 3 events. Not only that, the extremely tired LLW still dare to looks down the younger and fresher Susi, and she still can win the match...easier than their first meeting ! hahaha :D:D:D:p:p:p

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/find.aspx?a=8&oid=209B123F-AA87-41A2-BC3E-CB57133E64CC&q=309

#89 Fortune, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  10. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Susi has a big chance to make it 1 - 1 against the greatest LLW, after the Chinese had already played in 12 matches, plus 1 in the 1989 AE Final, and also she will play in the French Open. LLW won't go all out against the player whom rely on stamina, despite Susi only played for 6 matches plus 1, and not compete in French Open. But the result ? An easier win for LLW compare to their first duel in Japan open 1989 :D :D :D
    Did she win World Championships 1991, 1995 & 1997 ? How about OG 1996 ? How about China open, HK open and Singapore open ? How about BAC and Asian Games ? :D :D :D :p :p :p

#90 Fortune, Jul 16, 2012
  11. repentedboy

student la
    I think Fortune acting a little much to discredit SS's achievements.

True she is not the greatest player in WS to walk on earth but she is one of the best players of her time.
    Her position is completely different to Taufik Hidayat's. At least SS still manage to hold her ground against emerging players
    and never let them beat her so easily. Furthermore she is still winning titles back then. Quite a lot too.
    Taufik case is different. He won only four major tournaments (OG, WC and 2 AG) but that's all I can ever say about this guy nothing else.

Worse was he failed to justify the titles he won with 7 years of bad results and the only way for him to win back graces to become a great player is to make amends in the London Olympics.
    SS won too many titles and still hold her ground against many top players despite age catching up on her real fast. Taufik won the major titles but later on getting himself pummelled by too many players now. Even Marc Zwiebler and Axelsen have beaten him already.

Well Fortune please do not discredit SS. All I can say is she has done enough to justify her postion in the Hall of Fame.
    Even with China at its strongest in UC, she can still inspire INA to win the UC twice in a row plus she also helped INA to win their first SC later on nobody else have succeeded. Further she also showed us that she is capable of winning any title regardless of the venue.

Taufik on the other hand has not done enough. He needs a medal to make up for the 7 years of bad results.
    If he loses in the Olympics without any title, then his major achievements can be discredited because it was not a big deal and most importantly unlike SS he has not done enough to essentially justify and back it up.
    Well he assumes he has, but people especially me do not think so.

12. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Susi is the best ever WS bcoz of this victory over Lee Yong Suk ? btw, 27 years old Han Aiping also can beat LYS in 3 sets (9 - 12, 11 - 5, 11 - 0)...so what do you think about Han Aiping ? :p

http://infogamesindonesia.blogspot.com/2011/04/top-games-sudirman-cup-breezerewardscom.html?m=1

#92 Fortune, Jul 16, 2012
  13. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Please give the fact, and not only complain. My post always based on fact.
    The best #4 ? Or the best #5 in history ?
    If taufik has 4 (according to you AG = major title), then how about Susi ? How many major title in her collections from 9 - 10 attempts ?

14. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    After lose in the first meeting, Gong won't go all out in Russia Open 1996 (1 week after that, she won Denmark open), and she can beat Susi. From 13 point deficit in INA open 1996 become 13 points surplus in Russia :D. In Swedish open 1997, Gong Zhichao was tired after playing WS & WD (7 matches in total)...and 5 days after that, against the fresh Susi in AE (as usual :D), and still, Gong won in straight set.http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...F6F0FEF-EA1A-4B5E-B1C5-2F3B534BD791&player=78. In World Championships 1997, Gong Zhichao proved that she was (at least) 1 level higher than Susi, when she demolish Susi 11 - 5 and 11 - 2...means that Susi only can scores less than 1/3 than Gong's total points :D :phttp://www.tournamentsoftware.com/r...A87-41A2-BC3E-CB57133E64CC&t1p1=542&t2p1=5943

#94 Fortune, Jul 16, 2012
  15. repentedboy

student la
    I have great respect for her because she justifies her position as one of the best and no i didnt say she is the greatest.
    How many WS singles do you see winning more than one medal in every major tournament ?
    SS can win multiple medals from AE, WC, OG and AG. She is not a fluke. At that time, there were a couple of strong players in the WS field and it aint a joke.
    Apart from that, she doesnt only win many titles plus she also won titles from many different venues which could be a disadvantage for most players. Apart from Wang Yihan, till now i cannot find another WS who is capable of winning titles regardless of venue.
    ZN , ZM , GRN and GZC are no where near SS achievements. They cannot produced the same performance in every major tournament while SS alone can do it despite many attempts. Well at least she did it right eventually.
    WYH and WSX will be the next ones to rival SS's achievements depending on how the OG will unfold.
    Bear in mind WYH has literally won everything except the OG and AG while WSX though she is still young and havent won many titles but she is a big tournament player again and at the age 22 she also has won everything except OG and WC.

16. naistav

naistav Regular Member

Oh no, with 1 match or 1 tournament can say one is higher level than the other? Where did the OG, WC, AE title Susi gone?
    And dare to saying that your post is based on fact? Oh, 1 fact. OK. Got it.
    Btw, LCW always lost to Taufik before 2004. Ok, LCW is 1 class lower than Taufik, don't bother the rest of years of LCW tremendous SS titles collection.
    Oh don't forget Maria Kristin defeated Zhang Ning in INA Open once, ok ok let's not talk ZN 2 Gold OG Medals. Remember, 1 match 1 tournament fact ya?
    Ow another one, KOR MS Choi I-forgot-the-name .. defeated Lin Dan once too in straight games. Oh man, he is definitely then 1 class higher than Lin Dan.

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Susi peak was in 1992 while Gong peak was in 1996, both culminated in OLY gold. Both are small in statute but played like giants in this game. Susi will be favorably recognized as one of the best that graced this game and as I said, the best player to come out from INA. I simply loved to see Susi played badminton, the way she played this game, not only beating out or losing to whom that really matters. To name any player the world best ever, that would certainly invite controversy as players peak in different times/eras.

18. naistav

naistav Regular Member

Susi's achievements:
    Gold Medal Barcelona 1992
    Winner World Championship 1993, semifinalist World Championship 1991, 1995
    Winner All England 1990, 1991, 1993, and 1994, Finalist All England 1989
    Winner World Cup 1989 ,1990, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997
    Winner World Badminton Grand Prix 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1996
    Winner Indonesia Open 1989, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997
    Winner Malaysia Open 1992,1993, 1994, 1995, and 1997
    Winner Japan Open 1991 1992, 1994, and 1995
    Winner Korea Open 1995
    Winner Dutch Open 19931994
    Winner German Open 1992, 1993 1994
    Winner Denmark Open 1991 and 1992
    Winner Thailand Open 1991, 1992, 1993, and 1994
    Winner Swedish Open 1991 1992
    Winner Vietnam Open 1997
    Winner China Taipei Open 1991, 1994 and 1996
    Winner world championship junior 5 times (1985 ws,wd,xd) while 1987 (ws,wd)

She may not be the greatest WS, but she is one of the greatest. I don't mind if ZN, GZC, LLW, HA, BSH to be included.
    I disagree with this thread title, but I disagree more to discredit Susi Susanti.

#98 naistav, Jul 16, 2012
  19. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    Dear fellow forumers
    I just want to say that our dear friend Fortune is the man who responsible to make a thread about Susi --in one of Indonesian forum about badminton-- last long in what a seemingly an endless of debates and full of arguments from september 2009 till now with an amazangly 342 pages and 3412 posts. Honestly I quite admire with his ability to arguing and debates for so long time and faces so many forumers against him.
    That's why I stop to reply him because I realize no matter what we give to him, he will stand still and keep discredit everything Susi's achieve in the past and even dear to said Susi as a coward, weak and a looser. He will only keep throw every facts he has and uses his own thinking and interpretation for his favours to discredit and disrespect Susi.
    So I'm afraid this thread will only have the same fate with the thread I've said above.
    If anyone think that he is not an Indonesian ??? well you better think again :)

For they who understand bahasa, this is the link of the thread I mention above. Enjoy it :D
    http://forum.detik.com/all-susi-susanti-t54430.html?&page=342

#99 drquick, Jul 16, 2012
  20. naistav

naistav Regular Member

OMG. A true genuine troll!!
    Even his signature was made just to discredit. Kudos!
    Ok. Haters is actually one who envy to the subject he/she hates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.