New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Upon closer inspection it was a SW33P. I saw the US Open match against Ouseph only ... who wouldn't play defensively against LCW :p. You could very well be right though, looking at the result it was a rather tame loss against Ouseph. Perhaps Taiwan 2010 GP Final has a vid ...

#1681 demolidor, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

#1682 demolidor, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well perhaps I saw the wrong two matches. Watching game 1, I can't help but feel right about the 'accuracy over power' thing - while he attacks more than I remember, he smashes nearly no good lift and wins many points by surprising NTM rather than overpowering his defence. His netplay looks great against NTM - it was rather average-looking against LCW :D

But you're right, LCW just plays at a much higher pace than anyone but LD. Many players look very defensive playing against him because he sets the pace so high and always finds open space in the court so they can't attack as much as they want to....
    I certainly find it hard to attack against quick players who don't lift as high as I'd like. But my game is kind of defensive anyway, using my great reach to it's fullest :D

4. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    I just had my new mx80 strung with nbg 98 strings at 24lbs. Feels like 26-27 which isnt really my preference. It showed yesterday when I played but it seems the tension has dropped to around 23lbs overnight so should feel like 25lbs which is much more to my liking. Gonna be playing tomorrow with an injured shoulder but I should be fine because if memory serves, this racquet made everything feel easier before so hopefully this shouldn't be a problem apart from in full smashes which I didnt do a lot of anyway. Half smashes are much easier and nicer to do with this racquet but I will tell you my thoughts tomorrow.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Am I the only one that genuinely doesn't think the 80 Hole system gives the impression of higher tension ?

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Nope, I couldn't find any difference either. The pattern is certainly denser, which is probably one of the reasons this racket is so controlled, but I cannot say it feels harder. If so, only by one lbs at most, but thats probably because the string is still kinda fresh as I didn't use my MXs a whole lot lately.

7. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    I need a backup and a more 'forgiving' racket at the same time.. the one that i can used when my wrist start to feel a little pain.. but, yeah, i've been considering getting another MX80 with lower tension, in case suddenly my string broke and i'm in the middle of the game.. :D

hmm... but why do i feel it tighter also, even though the tension is the same? and one thing i notice, why my string lasts shorter than usual? usually it takes almost 2 months to get a sign of breakage.. but now, it only takes 1 months and a couple days to see the sign.. :(

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Signs of the string breaking have absolutely nothing to do with the tension/tightness. It's all about how cleanly you hit the shuttle, how hard you hit and how much the string moves as a result.
    If you feel it's tighter although you didn't change string, tension, stringer or anything else, and if your last string was of similar age, then there's nothing I could think of that would explain it - although I still don't feel any difference in string tightness.
    Perhaps you mistake the stiffness and direct feel of the racket for harder string feel? It certainly feels more alive than other rackets, but that's not because the string feels tighter. I feel the same repulsion and accuracy (of the string) as with other rackets which are strung identically. I often mistake a softer shaft for a higher BP because the soft shaft will bend more and make the head lag behind a bit - one reason the BS09 actually tires me out more than it should.

9. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Looks like JJS is actually using the SW37 and MX80 in the Denmark open. Looking leaner and fitter, too.

10. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    i agreed, perhaps i was mistaken for the stiffness, bcoz my previous racket is flex..

how much the string moves as a result -> so this means that more loosen string makes it easier to break?

11. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

Looks like JJS can't decide himself.

12. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Being sponsored would be a nightmare.

"Here's all our rackets, have as many as you like...."

13. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

It's a nightmare I wouldn't mind having. Lol, though I'd probably stick to my MX80

14. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Oh, almost forgot. Put two pieces of Victor lead tape at 12o'clock on the head of my MX80. Anyone who can't decide whether or not they like the VT80 or MX80 should just do this. It turnes the MX80 into a singles BEAST.

Of course it also completely messed up my timing, but of all the Victors the MX80 can handle a bit more weight in the head because the shaft it stiff enough to be able to handle it. Did the same with my BS11 and it was a bit noodly.

I reckon it's a mod well worth doing if you like the feel of a bit more weight in the head and want just a smidge more power. In my current unfit state that also means my timing goes out the window and I become the slowest player in the stadium, but it wouldn't be a big stretch under different circumstances.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

A lower tension allows the string to move more and break as a result of the ridges that form. Higher tension will limit that movement, but mishits are more of a danger and will break the string more often...so higher tension will make your string last longer if you dont mishit often or not hard (i.e. not on smashes)

16. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    ok, after todays session, i have decided nbg 98 just doesn't work with mx80. Hope they break soon so I can get re strung with bg 66 again. Nbg just moves wayyy too much.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

TBH, I don't think the BG66 is much better. The NBGs are the most slippery (although the 98 works well for me @27,5 - only moves on sliced drops), but the BG66 is not much better. The best would probably be the BG80, it's very good at medium to low tensions as well and doesn't move much.

18. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    Thanks. With that in mind i'll get bg80 next time. Thanks. :)

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Oh, and I would recommend getting it strung at 1lbs more than the .66 strings. While it retains the tension better, it feels a tad softer if strung at the same tension.

20. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    Just went to badminton shop looks at the VT-80 and MX-80...after some intro about the material, specs and some knowledge about both racket.. ^_^ decided to get a MX-80 for a try by next month..