How do you become crappier from playing games?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Birdy, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Bro : I like your post , well written

2. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    If that's the case then Japanese are definitely process oriented, no doubt about that. Otherwise they would never practice as hard as they do in the clubs.

3. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Isn't process oriented focused on how you are hitting or performing whereas result oriented is the result (such as winning/losing getting better or not?)

4. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Lol, I'm getting confused.

In either case, Japanese focus on winning through a lot of tough practice. My team plays fairly little compared to other clubs, only three compulsory practice days a week (plus free practice days where you can play games). These compulsory practice days are 3-4 hours and as a 27 year old, it's very hard to keep up with these youngsters (the active players being 19-21 years old). The club sets up goals as a team and then each and every member are required to set up their own goals as well.
    As I wrote in an earlier post here, the focus is mainly put on drills but it seems that it works well.

5. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Soo many long.. ambiguous answers... who has the time >.< Anyways Buddy/kid/elder whatever... Here's how it is plain and bloody simple: If your a competitive person... driven by your own ego.. Dont lie to yourself here.. DONT play games. Why..? Cuz yes.. u will go back to bad habbits in other words... do anything you can just to win a worthless game. If your okay with losing to shitty lesser players.. in an effort to try and enforce technique.. then yes play games to use what you learnt. Simple.

6. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    At my club, I am not able to occupy the court and also sometime not able to find someone to run drill with me for extended time. Most of the members just want to play games (and yes, they are trying to win the games and with the same tactics/and bad habits). They have no incentive to improve (some never stretch or warm up). I usually just incorporate the shots I want to practice/drill into the games. Some of them have only 1 tactic - hit to backhand. What I do with those players, I make sure I hit a few BH cross court drops, a few BH clears, and a few BH smashes/drives. On the next game, I would do the same with overhead forehand. The funny thing is that they continue to hit to my backhand and it is almost a drill for me.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we can use games to learn and reinforce some technique/shots. However, there are other shots that we absolutely need to learn and practice with drills before applying them in a game (e.g. footwork - more accurately "movement", and finger-palm sensation or feedback on net shots). I took up badminton lessons late in life, and the process of correcting my bad habits take a lot longer than if I don't have the bad habits. For the serious players, and those who wants to learn the right way, do more drills. I bet you that LD, LCW, PG, TD probably spent over 95% of the badminton related time on drills and gym (maybe even close to 99%).

7. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Yeah games can be really good practice and helps you figure out what you need to work on.

However it can also be bad if you are returning back to your bad habits.

8. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    For me , Coaches correct me when i go for training drill , good! When come to games , when make the same mistake

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I suppose it's possible to get skill improvement by playing games, but it'd be inefficient. E.g. if you're interested in practicing your forehand drives. Well, you'd need to get a shot on your forehand before you can use/practice it. In real games, you'd get all kinds of shots, and small percentage of which would allow your practice.

So if one is interested in improving skills, it's best to take lessons, during which court time is reserved for you. Of interest also is the concept of "deliberate practice". Google on internet to see what it's about.

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
  11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This is very important for everyone to read up on. I mentioned it in my first post on this thread with a rough decription of what it is, but definitely worth people looking it up and finding out as much as they can. This separates the great players from the pretenders.

12. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for sharing! I like how the article talks about training with a purpose and how you practice will be carried to the actual games. If you don't practice hard, you won't be able to play hard. This reminds me of how playing games if you don't play hard you won't be able to play hard in an actual game as well.

13. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Thanks! I read your response again and now understand things I didn't understand the first time reading it. I agree, deliberate practice is about be conscious of what you are trying to accomplish during a session (whether game or drills) and this is what helps you improve.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    And what level did you get to?:)

Just came back to this thread with some browsing.

I am the same but hit a plateau. I won some tournaments but also lost others. I was putting a lot of effort in but not getting the right gains. Hence, I switched to training and learning technique, footwork, learning acceleration, bounce, reading the game, changing the pace, closing down the court space etc. I definitely moved on to the next level in 1.5 year compared to the 15 years previously learning with 99.9% game experience.

15. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    similar to me, what's worst, I mainly (99%) of the time, play doubles, so I am mainly the weak front guy. Those game times were a waste as you don't get to learn. The clearing routine before the game is more helpful.

I just think you won't be crappier, but have your habits become ingrained, thus hard to learn the right thing. You would also be discouraged as you find your play will suffer initially. and your play will be worst than ever before! I really meant it, losing every game, being shouted and fight with your partner, etc.

that's why maybe they advice you don;t play games until it's really correct and ingrained to you. otherwise you will be discouraged and just do the old thing again and again

16. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

No offense against opikbidin intended, but if you watch him play, you see exactly the problem when you have no formal coaching.
    He has a weird grip that clearly limits his options, his footwork pattern and positioning is quite bad. These are all basic things he would def be able to do much better if he had someone who showed him the correct way and do drills with him. The potential for improvement is enormous!