Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. sunbuddy

sunbuddy New Member

[h=1]Lin Dan has everything, says Chong Wei’s coach[/h]Watching Lee Chong Wei practice, one wouldn’t make out that he’s just gone through yet another heart-wrenching loss. The world No. 1 jokes and laughs around as he goes about his workout with Mumbai Masters teammate Vladimir Ivanov. There’s nothing to suggest that, just over a fortnight ago, he lost the World Championships final to arch-rival Lin Dan – another opportunity to bury his personal demons gone.
    Perhaps it’s a mask to hide the pain. Or perhaps he’s just like that, able to let bygones be bygones. Perhaps he doesn’t measure himself – as we assume he must – with whether he wins an Olympic gold or the World Championships. We assume that those will be his ultimate validation as a ‘great’ player. But perhaps he is comfortable in his skin, and looks at his performances in their real perspective – this is sport, not war.
    One man has been his closest aide during his recent campaigns is coach, Tey Seu Bock. A middle-aged man who sits slouched and with shoulders slumped; so different from other athletic-looking coaches, he provides the inputs for Chong Wei’s successes. As a coach, he monitors the world No.1’s training schedule, match preparation and strategies during a match. How does he help his prodigal trainee cope with the pressure?
    “Of course there’s pressure,” he says. “But you cannot complain… you are world No.1, you have to take it. It’s not easy. Malaysia’s a small country, compared to China. There are plenty of players in China. In Malaysia, we have only one player.”
    Lin Dan is a name that will be tied to Chong Wei forever. No mention of Chong Wei is complete without adversary, for they are the two outstanding contemporary practitioners of this sport. Why has Lin Dan managed to win nearly every major encounter between them? Seu Bock says, among other things, it comes down to big-match experience.
    “Maybe Lin Dan started having results when he was younger, but Lee Chong Wei began to get results only after he was 24 or 25,” Seu Bock says. But it isn’t like it’s been easy for Lin Dan either. “Earlier, Lin Dan used to have it easy against Lee Chong Wei, but in the last few years, it’s been very difficult for Lin Dan. Every match has gone to a rubber set. The level is almost similar.”
    What does Lin Dan have that Chong Wei doesn’t? To Tey Seu Bock, the equation lies in not just the skills, but in the requirement of victory. Chong Wei plays Superseries after Superseries, winning nearly every event he enters. Lin Dan picks and chooses, and is exempt from that pressure. Seu Bock talks of Lin Dan without envy or bitterness. He acknowledges that perhaps the Chinese great does have some abilities that even Chong Wei cannot acquire.
    “Lin Dan has everything (badminton ability). The way of thinking is different. For Lee Chong Wei, he has to get past every round, but for Lin Dan, it doesn’t matter even if he loses in first round. Lin Dan is mentally very strong, it’s not easy to get (that quality), and he’s a fantastic player. Chong Wei is also strong mentally, but you cannot make him just like Lin Dan. If you produce one car, you cannot make another exactly like that.
    “I think the whole world would find it difficult to produce (another) Lin Dan or Lee Chong Wei. This is what we call limited edition. So these two are limited edition. So it’s difficult… how many years it’s taken to produce them. It’s not easy if you want to produce. Even China, it’s so big, but even they have only one Lin Dan. Malaysia is such a small country, and it’s not easy to produce another Lee Chong Wei. You have to see the player from young, whether they have potential, natural skill… Chong Wei from when he was young had natural skill and attitude.”
    Seu Bock knows that his trainee is under relentless scrutiny. Every match of Chong Wei is dissected and analysed. “It’s natural to study,” he says. “Every country will study Lee Chong Wei. I have to do my homework also. Everybody does that. China worries about Lee Chong Wei, because he will go to every tournament. But Lin Dan, if he’s not happy, will not go. China and Malaysia have different styles.”

By : Dev Sukumar Follow @twitter

links:http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/08/27/lin-dan-has-everything-says-chong-weis-coach/

2. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    Just wondering what this 'guy' is BABBLING ABOUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.First he says , 1...and flip flop...better one flip flop than others, jumped to 5 !! instead of flip flop between 1 and 2. he flips between 1 and 5.

2.so,means LD started winning from age 'day' 1 ? prolly true then.

3. no. LD changes style to 'preserve' his energy and stamina. LCW just thinks he's still 20 yrs old

4. oh ? this is news.....LD got automatic entry all the way to the final ? lol !!!! bookies involved ? oh my....

5. :confused:....:confused:.....:confused:

3. fauci

fauci Regular Member

4. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Very nice interview of Lin Dan and LCW

[video=youtube;RoPK10a17C8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoPK10a17C8[/video]

5. volcom

volcom Regular Member

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Not available for me, though :/ Any other site hosting it, perhaps?

Edit: Scratch that. Chrome works, Firefox doesn't.

#4006 j4ckie, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  7. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Here you go

[video=youtube;FftZO9UCFZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FftZO9UCFZM[/video]

8. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Latest news according to LYB: http://sports.qq.com/a/20130908/004391.htm

LD will not play any tournaments in the next three months. He will sit back to ponder the meanings of life. And then LD will make a decision to retire or to continue till Rio '16.

Should LD decide to continue, he will back full time in January.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Uh... didn't he like have the past 9 months to do that already? ;)

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Good thing I didn't buy that all week pass and new HD cam yet then :D

11. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Can somebody translate the interviews? I know its a lot but I definitely would appreciate it! :)

12. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    LD must be pondering why LCW keeps on losing to him - even after not playing
    for such a long time - and how come he can play without ac and LCW cannot.
    Must be perplexing to LD.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Only the last paragraph is about Lin Dan for which RedShuttle has translated the gist of it. I'd just add that LYB hoped Lin Dan would carry on and play in Rio'16 as well. No mention of what LD would do should he decide on retirement though as we know LYB would want him to take up coaching which LD has expressed no interest.

Elsewhere I've read that he has pulled out of the London GP and I'd expect the same for the Dutch Open. As said, he'd only resume competition wholeheartedly in January next year provided his decision is to continue playing regardless whether Rio'16 is included or not.

For me, I see it as mainly a question of motivation, commercial consideration and others aside. Probably he has half a mind to retire precipitated by the unexpected 5th world title win. If the Rio Olympics is just a year away I'd be absolutely sure he will continue and aim for it but, as it is, three years is neither too long or short in view of his present age and physical condition as well as other personal considerations, that's why he is hesitant to commit himself. For the next few months, I gather he'll be weighing the pros and cons, calculating the possible trade-offs and risks involved, and delve deep inside himself to understand what he really wants to do next about his career and life; of course, with inputs from and discussions with his family, close friends, mentors and colleagues.

No doubt his passion for the sport will never leave him for as long as he lives but that's not the same as actively competing and striving for successes and accolades which demands full dedication, time and effort. Knowing him, being a self-disciplined, responsible and dutiful person towards his loved ones, his fans and the nation, it's a decision he'll not take lightly. I trust once he decided to carry on, he will continue to give his level best and,as he's said before, he can accept the occasional defeat but not for lack of sincere effort,preparedness and training - he certainly won't waste precious time and let himself and others down.

I highly respect and admire him and patiently await his final decision. All the very best to Lin Dan.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I can't see LD continuing. He got lucky with the wild card and he had to play the tournament because it was hosted it China. If it was hosted in another country, I am not sure he would have participated.

There are no individual titles left to win and Rio is too far away.

I see him possibly playing at 3rd singles in TC because he plays for his country, not for himself. It's a soldier's duty.

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Concur with your post. As for Rio, perhaps in 2015 LD may look at the competition and his playing desire and condition and then may want to try for a 3rd gold, but that is a longshot. Also, that means LD would not play AG14.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Now this article paints a somewhat different picture http://sports.qq.com/a/20130911/016644.htm Let me explain.

First, LYB clarifies that the reason Lin Dan isn't playing any tournaments the next three months until year end is because his ranking at 98 doesn't qualify him to do so, referring to the six superseries tournaments, inclusive of the SSF. (What about the grand prix events? He didn't say). LYB seriously doubts BWF would be willing to issue wild cards to Lin Dan for each of these said events.

Second, Lin Dan himself explains that forsaking the international tournaments is mainly because he wants to spend more time with his family and hopes to do well at the CBSL.

Third, LYB says :" Within a short space, Lin Dan in the two events(WC and CNG) displayed himself to be steady,calm and collected, even better than before, on this point I'm very happy for him. At the post-WC summing-up, I urged everyone to learn from Lin Dan his dedication to training and fighting spirit. Most training emphasizes the scientific aspect and neglected the importance of diligence which is the precondition, ,maintaining the scientific training is for avoiding injury."

Fourth, LYB claims his plan is for Lin Dan to start a specially formulated intensive,scientific training regimen in January next year. This statement was verified by Lin Dan who himself added that he would resume competition in Feb' 14.

Fifth, LYB once again expresses his hopes that Lin Dan's next step is to Rio'16, only this one step, no other.

Lastly, throughout the article, neither LYB nor Lin Dan mentions the word 'retirement'.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This article discusses Lin Dan's record-breaking feat, the number of firsts he created and the records he hasn't broken http://sports.qq.com/a/20130911/016564.htm

The following records are held by him:

1) Twice Olympic Gold medallist and successful defending champion;

2) 5 times World Champion;

3) 5 times Thomas Cup champion and successively;

4) 5 times Sudirman Cup champion and successively;

5) 3 times Chinese National Games MS champion;

In both the Thomas and Sudirman Cups, he played MS1.

The author didn't talk about the BWF record of the biggest jump in ranking from 286 to 98, by 188 places, set by Lin Dan during the WC'13. Also another record of Lin Dan not mentioned is his being the first wild card entrant and unseeded player to win the world championship in MS badminton. (These two records are included by me, Justin. If I may add, Lin Dan is the lowest-ranked contestant to win the world title, at 286th just before the event and 98th during).

According to the author, the following are the records not held by Lin Dan which he can aim to break, namely,

1) The Asian Games gold won once by Lin Dan but twice by Taufik Hidayat in 2002 and 2006;

2) The Superseries Finals MS champion which Lin Dan won once in 2011 but 3 times by Lee CW and that is because Lin Dan only took part in one such event;

3) The Asia Badminton Championship which Lin Dan won twice in 2010 and 2011 but 3 times each by Taufik Hidayat and Sony Dwi Kuncoro and that is because Lin Dan was absent on those occasions;

4) The All England Championship won 5 times by Lin Dan but 8 times by Rudy Hartono except that during his era, CHN did not participate for political reasons.

Lastly, the author casually remarked that Lin Dan has yet to win the CBSL championship for BAYI team.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just to add. For Lin Dan's 3 times CNG Championship record, the author stated that none of his predecessors have won it even twice. The previous winners were Tang Xianhu, Han Jian, Yang Yang, Zhao Jianhua, and Luo Yigang. The last mentioned won it in 2001 when Lin Dan as an 18-yr-old first participated and won silver losing to him.

In 2005 and 2009, Lin Dan won gold on both the occasions beating Bao Chunlai each time. In 2009, he conceded a mere 3 points in G2 to Bao Chunlai.

In this 2013 edition, Lin Dan beat Du Pengyu for gold and only conceded 5 points in the 2nd set after winning the 1st 21-18. In G1, he bided his time but in G2, he suddenly injected pace and launched violent attacks to seal victory.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin Dan's record will stand for a long, long time

Thanks Justin for more detailed information on Lin Dan's accomplishments.

No doubt his record is hard to beat. For those players, including the ladies, who think they are on top of the world, let them measure themselves against LD's record. There is no comparision by just winning one or two SS or a bronze in OG and the WC. :rolleyes: Rising "super" or "mega"- stars are they? Haha :D

Lin Dan would have won more accolades had he participated in more tournaments. And chances are his opponents will be denied once again had he done so.

But now he has no great motivation to create more records for himself and for China - certainly an immense relief to his opponents. His priority now is his family. A wise decision indeed.

But will he change his mind just for the occasion? Just for his ardent fans? Just to make his record more difficult to break if he wins? Rio OG 2016? :)