Which type of shuttlecock for practice?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Stalker, Aug 13, 2002.

?

Which type of shuttlecock for practice?

1. Plastic

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Feather

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. eddiemon

eddiemon Regular Member

I like to use plastic for practice and playing with friends.

2. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    Protech shuttles now so expensive. And if you read the other thread, where the shuttlecock expert gave his comments, he said there was some discrepancy in the shuttle quality.

3. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    I don't mean to boast, but I am quite able and willing to spend money on Badminton, so I do. I play with the tournament style, using Yonex AreoSensa 50 for all types of practice and play. I don't actually bring any other type of shuttlecock to Badminton courts with me when I go to them. I bring many tubes when I go (perhaps 20 tubes), so that we can switch shuttlecocks whenever one is damaged enough to affect the play. I do, of course, prefer not to switch shuttlecocks when we are merely doing the drills (1 shuttlecock per drill per person is my normal), but in gameplay, I am not afraid to go through sixty shuttlecocks to ensure that the games run smoothly (of course, I'd prefer if these sixty shuttlecocks would be spread over two or three games instead of a possible one game).

Overall, I think that feather shuttlecocks should be used for all kinds of practice, although a shuttlecock of as high grade as Yonex AreoSensa 50 may not be necessary. However, when practicing for, or with people who play in, tournaments, I believe that Yonex AeroSensa 50 should be the type of shuttlecock practised with, and also played with in the tournament itself, regardless of the age group.

So, overall, I believe feather shuttlecocks should always be used for practice for all kinds of players; plastic shuttlecocks are their low-grade version for cheep people who won't put in the extra money for the real experience.

4. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    If you're gong to nuse a feather in a game u may aswell use them in practice :p

5. smashingmark

smashingmark Regular Member

It depends on what kind of player you are... If you play in tournaments, I would advice you to train with the same type of shuttles they use. So if they use plastic, then you should train with that. Two very different feels when you use plastic and feathers.

In Malaysia we use feather shuttles however its becoming more and more Xpensive! Hmm Cant remember when was the last time I used a plastic shuttle.. when I was in primary 3? lol..

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    exact quotes from the movie "The Graduate' (LOL:D:p)

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you - just one word.
    Ben: Yes sir.
    Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
    Ben: Yes I am.
    Mr. McGuire: ‘Plastics.’
    Ben: Exactly how do you mean?
    Mr. McGuire: There’s a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?
    Ben: Yes I will.
    Mr. McGuire: Shh! Enough said. That’s a deal.

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    In a tournament I played today, I was taken aback. We used plastic shuttles (Mavis 300). I asked why, and apparently, the technique of the best U15s in my county isn't good enough to warrant using feathers. I was both shocked and offended and played terribly with the stupid plastics. Hopefully, in next week's tournament, I'll be able to use my favoured shuttle type. I always practise with feathers so plastics take some getting used to and in all other tournaments, I have used feathers.

8. globenstein

globenstein Regular Member

McGill student
    Aren't you dramatizing it a bit? I mean, you were "offended"? Just because they use a different type of shuttle?

What I find offensive is the way you consider your fellow players' techniques "not good enough" not because of the quality of their play but because they use different equipment.

9. Danstevens

Student
    I think that perhaps I didn't make my post very clear. One of the tournament organisers said that our technique (as in all competitors in the tournament) wasn't good enough, when asked why we were to be using synthetics when in every other tournament I have been asked to play in by my club, feathers have been used.

10. 7315200

7315200 Regular Member

On the other day I was buying shuttlecocks and the vendor told me that using plastic shuttlecocks would not be wise with my Yonex Ti10. She recommended Magnum Blue Speed 7.5 feather shuttlecocks.

We didn't share the same language and her English wasn't that great, so I did not completely understand everything she said. But I got the idea that plastic shutttlecocks might be bad for the string. Is there any truth behind this statement?

FWIW I enjoy playing with feather shuttlecocks as the dynamic of the game and the motion/curve of the shuttlecock is better. Different beasts anyway, feather and plastic.

11. Danstevens

Student
    I don't think plastic shuttles are bad for strings. Nobody would use them if they were. Feather shuttles are better anyway, providing you can afford half decent ones.

12. stellarindia01

stellarindia01 New Member

Hi,
    I am Stella and I like playing badminton. I just want to know which kind of shuttlecock is best for regular practice. Please reply.

Stella

13. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Dan which tournament was this :O

By the way if you can get to kent there is an under 16 tournament.

The junior Kent open :D
    I'm porbably going to go , because I only played one tournament this season.

Next year I'm playing 10-12 :D

14. badar

badar Regular Member

student
    i guess it is very obvious that feather shuttle gives you the real flavour of badminton
    guys I am really confused about the speed of the shuttle.Is there any standard?????when i started playing someone told me that very slow shuttle is used at inter-national level but later i found that it is not true.then i heard that a full-blooded, under-arm,fore-hand shot should reach the back-line for the doubles service, hit from the other side of the court.
    So can any one help me plz?????:(

15. Danstevens

Student
    Some local tournament. It was complete rubbish lol. All of my club's away matches seem to be played with synthetics as well but it's quite funny when clubs come and play us at Chilwell and the odd looks we get when we ask if playing with feathers (usually Yonex AS-30 and above).

I'm tempted by the Kent junior open. I'm not sure whether I can get there or not but if I can, I might make a showing.

16. Danstevens

Student
    Yes, there is a standard and most people work it out by the test that you state. For example, cold sports centres require a faster shuttle speed to be standard as colder particles are more dense than warmer ones - slowing the shuttle down. This is why you get different speeds, so there is a standard all over the world. Where-ever you play, from the coldest place to the warmest, if the shuttles have been chosen correctly, the game will be the same. The professional game is played with supremely high quality shuttles at exactly the right speed.

If in doubt, go medium - it's fine for most places. If you find it's too fast, select a slower speed of the same shuttle next time, too slow - go for the faster speed.

17. badar

badar Regular Member

student
    thanx

Thank you very much man, but I would like to know that how fast is the shuttle you play with???reason I am concerned is that i like to play with slow shuttles.So slow that only very well timed and powerful clears reach from one to another end of the court.But I played an inter-university tournament where the shuttles used were much faster to my liking and I had a real tough time.

18. Danstevens

Student
    I like to play with normal paced shuttles. That way, any social match or tournament you go to, there should be no problems - the shuttle speed should be consistent.

19. Cvldfire

Cvldfire New Member

Computer Engineer
    Feather and Plastic

i used feather both playing and training

for plastic shuttle cock: i'll used it for WALLING specially strengthen my backhand and enhance my reaction time....:):D......"""

20. Carbonlist

Carbonlist Regular Member

Student
    i made my own birdies out of paper, do you guys want to try?