BG80 and BG80P alternatives that hold tension well

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by meteor, Sep 10, 2013.

1. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I am currently using BG80P. I am looking to try an alternative string that holds tension well and feels/plays the same. I had 2 victor mx70's strung with bg80p at 27lbs about 6 weeks ago. First one dropped to aprox 22lbs within 4 weeks and now the second started to feel a little spongy too. I play 3 times a week.

I used BG80 for a long time too and found that it tends to snap much easier... and if it doesn't snap then it will drop tension fast. I prefer the feel of BG80 as opposed to BG80P (at 27lbs which is currently my prefered tension).

Is there a string with similar repulsion that holds tension better?

2. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    This works

Instead of looking for alternative strings consider using a stringer who manually pre stretches the string before stringing on a drop weight - not crank- machine. And even better, find one who takes longer than an hour to do the job. Done this way, one of my ZFs with BG80 has only dropped about 2lbs in nearly 5 months. Just a thought.

3. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

I agree that stringer makes a difference - but for some strings, no matter how good the stringer is, they tend to lose tension fast - the best example is Victor VS850.

I don't think stringing time equals stringing skill, especially to stringers who own decent ECP machines.

Regarding to strings, I still think few string holds tension better than the Zymax strings. ZM65 would be a good start.

4. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    time

No, I wasn't linking time with skill, but with tension holding capability. With the crank lock out machine tension is applied only momentarily. A drop weight device applies the tension constantly and gives a visual indication of string stretch - if any- taking place. So, whilst the stringer is threading the next hole, bringing the clamp into position, weaving cross strings - the string is being constantly pulled. This can be anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. Compare that with the fraction of a second pull delivered from a crank machine. The big disadvantage of this system is of course time, and you only have to browse this very forum to see the preoccupation with speed. Look at me - I can string a racquet in 12 minutes ! Actually I can't , but then again I don't have customers bleating about losing string tension.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Not really an "alternative" to BG80P, I am a fan of BG80P and VS850 which are quite similar, but I have now moved to NBG99. Which I find is not only the best all-rounder string, it exhibits a lot of the qualities of BG80P/BG80 but not much tension loss.

Would suggest you try that.

6. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Thanks for your replies. I will demand pre stretching from my stringer... hope he'll know what I'm talking about :)
    NBG99 is interesting, I'll give it a try.

7. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    You're just giving random numbers here... Prestretch or not, if a racquet sits unplayed for 5months, it will still lose more than 2lbs...

back to OP, there isn't much you can do (other than prestretching) to get rid of tension loss and it'll always drop over time. Alternatively, you can have it strung 1-2 pounds over your prefered tension so that once the major initial tension drop has happened, you can have a racquet that you find playable for a longer period of time. There aren't many strings that play like BG80 and the few ones that are similar are no better at maintaining tension.

8. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    random?

Random? I string racquets regularly and thus have a constant stream of freshly strung items to provide references at various tensions. So , provided the head shapes are similar and the string type is the same, it is not difficult to guage a 2lbs drop . Nothing random about it.

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Also, in my experience pre-stretching doesn't really help that much with the tension loss of BG80P and VS850. There will still be a huge amount of tension loss.

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

BG80 breaks so quick, tension loss isn't an issue imho...;-)
    anyway, i stick to them, because they play so well...

11. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    It probably is since people think it won't drop more than 2lbs in 5 months