AT 700 LE extra cross

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by takumifujiwara, Mar 13, 2009.

1. takumifujiwara

takumifujiwara Regular Member

Full-time uni student
    I just got my racket stringed by someone that I haven't tried before. I just got my racket back today and I received this "extra cross" at the bottom.

[​IMG]Pic : http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25q6mua&s=5

Can anyone tell me if this "extra cross" will have any bad affect on my racket or not?

And is this stringing pattern correct?

Thanks heaps
    [​IMG]

#1 takumifujiwara, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    If im not wrong ... this problem already beeen discuse ... try search it~

3. takumifujiwara

Full-time uni student
    Yes I'm well aware of that and I did. But all my searched ended up in people commenting that "it will make the string bed stiffer" *something like that.*

What I want to know is will there be any negative effect on the racket?

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It will slow down your racquet swing speed a bit. The normal pattern is to have the last cross string at the bottom grommets #9, thus leaving a larger space (grommets #1 to #8) at the throat end for increased swing speed. You will notice that the top of the frame has a much smaller empty space (grommets #1 to # only), because it is less sensitive to air resistance as the bottom part.
    For even faster swing speed you can have your last cross at the bottom grommet #9 but leave grommet #8 empty, thus having a total number of cross strings of only 21. This will leave an even larger gap at the throat end.

5. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I wouldn't worry too much about swing speed, but the knots on the bottom are one off. The frame shape might be a bit narrower than it should be down there now, just get a better stringer next time. I'm MUCH more concerned with the shared grommet #A8 at the top. It looks as if it has actually been pulled into the hole? The strings are probably cutting into the frame!

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Technically, Taneepak is true, an extrastring is extra air resistance.
    However, it's in an order of magnitude none of us can really tell...
    In that respect, people should also shave their heads to gain speed, and offcourse wear veyr tight shirts...

However, as for your racket, grommet top-8(left) looks a bit worrying, don't be surprised if it breaks there on a mishit.
    If it's 28lbs+ the string might cut into the frame, like optiblue said. However, if it's soemhting like 22-25lbs, I think you should be more worries about the frame cutting into the strings:p

The only thing I can add...I don't know why he ties off so far away, at #5 two times, That's a lot of slack string..

7. takumifujiwara

Full-time uni student
    Thank you for the replies. I think the decrease in swing speed will be fine for me. I'll just compensate that with more power :)

Haha yea the picture that I took isjh no good. Took it with my K800 soo its not as clear at the top. Uhmm... if you actually look at it at an angle and closely, its not really touching the frame. The strings are just touching the sides of the gromment hole.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But as far as damage goes, it wont kill off the frame and the racket rite? I'm just abit paranoid, cause i just bought this racket and it aint a cheap racket.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

It may surprise you that one less cross string at the throat end is not the same as one less cross string at the top. Air-resistance is at its max at or around the T joint; it has minimal effect at the top.
    Try to experiment with it. BTW, do you know that a 21-cross string pattern with a missing cross at grommet #10 and the last cross at the bottom at grommet #9, will give you more power thru less rsistance? This was known in the East, especially in China, from the 1960s. You may still find some stringers using this one-cross missing pattern; and if you ask them the reason why, they probably don't know.

9. takumifujiwara

Full-time uni student
    Ohh rite I didn't know that air resistance is greater at the throat. I always assumed it was the center of the racket that has more air resistance cause of the larger surface area. So you think its not gonna do any damage to my racket?

And just curious, do you by any chance work in the line of science? cause i saw the other thread and u were explaining how uhmg are strong and doesnt lose its stiffness over time and etc.

10. aikakira

aikakira Regular Member

Student
    Any chance you could give me more info on that? ^^

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Why not bring your racket to a laboratory with a wind tunnel? :D

12. Amin Khalili

Student
    Yeah LOL!Its burden for me to buy one of the most expensive racket!~

13. takumifujiwara

Full-time uni student
    Are you trying to be sarcastic here?

14. Amin Khalili

Student
    You mad?sorry sorry sorry sorry

15. takumifujiwara

Full-time uni student
    No I wasnt mad, you made your sentence sound as if you were sarcastic. But didnt mind anyway if you were.

16. Amin Khalili

Student

LOL ... not really .. i like to make a collect racket as my collection XP

17. takumifujiwara

Full-time uni student
    Hahah yea I checked your profile, you owned a At 700 LE as well. Didn't notice.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you look up at the US patent filed by Yonex in the US sometime ago, you will find an explanation about the T joint, and hence the area around the T joint, as a potential weak area because of its large size and surface area which will increase air resistance and thus adversely impact on racquet head speed.
    You will also find in a 10-disc training video by Xiao Jie, produced in the 1997s, that have a section on stringing. In that video it explains the reason for that missing string at the bottom grommet #10, which is specifically to increase power.
    If you have very stiff racquets with very high tensions, you can try it out for yourself.
    BTW, re the AT700 limited edition, the original Armortec SuperBrands is more valuable as a collectible. This is because it is unique, unlike the AT700 LE. The Armortec SuperBrands is a de facto leader of the Armortec series, then known as AT700, AT800DE, AT800OF, AT500. It was named an ARMORTEC without the number 700. It has the colour design of the AT800OF. It however has the racquet soecs and dimensions of the old AT700. The new AT700 LE is obviously not designated as the leader of the AT pack, just a new AT700 with limited quantity produced.

19. takumifujiwara

Full-time uni student
    Haha yea, anyway I ended up cutting the strings and get it re stringing again by my usual stringer. So there should be no more problems with it.

The most prized possession in my opinion would probably be the old AT-700 CP