Buying cheap feathers

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by jchan23, May 31, 2007.

1. jchan23

jchan23 Regular Member

I'm tryin to make the conversion to all feather birdies that are reltively cheap/durable in the US, anybody know where I can get these?

I used to play plastic but I hate playing plastic now, it's so unsatisfying and nobody plays plastic in a real tournament so ya, any recommendations on durable/cheap feather birdies?

P.s. do you think clubs like sgvbc would let me pick up their leftoer trash birdies since my club is pretty low on money and in need of feather birdies?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are no durable and cheap birdies, unfortunately.

in fact, most cheap birides are approximately 75% of the price of the good ones, and they last less than 50% as long. if you do the math, it is actually more economical to get the more expensive ones.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Please PM DinkALot for RSL #4. Also, he is in LA area. You can drive to San Gabrial to pick up from him.

4. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    if u're in china,there'll be no problems.The cheap but playable is around 20-40rmb($3 to $6).How bout searching for some chinese brands shuttle?would it be cheaper?

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    But consider the price vs. salary ratio, it's even more expensive for CHN locals for feather shuttle purchase. :cool:

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I Have Found that Cheaper shutles are worth Using if in a hot and humid climate, perhaps bcause the quality of the shuttle is aided by the more suppleness the damper air gives the feathers.

In colder and drier climates I found cheaper shuttles are not worth buying because they are just too brittle, and you use disproportionately more than the saving on purchasing (As Kwun said).

Example:

In China I used RSL No.5. They were acceptable, and lasted similar time length to more expensive RSL No. 1 (although they were not as consistent).

In UK buying The same shuttles they break more frequently, whilst RSL No.1 still are very good.

Perhaps this is because the shuttles are packaged in the more humid climate and then transported to the drier climate?

7. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    got some sosan green... $10/tube (15 tubes left), you pay shipping (prolly end up about $10 for shipping) is that cheap? =P

8. Qu3sT10nMaRk

Qu3sT10nMaRk Regular Member

I no a place were i can get 6 feather shuttles for 2 bucks but there horrible

they looked used before u even open the pack
    not durable
    1 Smash bam ... Need new bird
    big holes where feathers are, and it seems to be glued in ...

9. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Cheap shuttles

Hi guys,
    Usually "Good things are not cheap, Cheap things are not good". It depends on one's feeling of acceptability in usage relative to shuttles' pricings.U may get cheap duck feathers shuttles at RMB$30/- to around RMB$60/- per dozen in China. Do u call these "good"? There are so many duck feathers shuttles in China nowaday. This is partly because of bird flu n scarcity of supply for goose feathers from the north east region. Costs have gone up,so many suppliers even used "acceptable" but not the best feathers in these making process. Local there are using duck feathers shuttles for their games.:p
    Try it if u like......;)
    Lee:D

10. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    My dad bought some Victor Practice shuttles from China for about 5 dollars a tube. It was brand name, packaged well, decent quality, consistency and durability at a price you can't complain about.

11. aikakira

aikakira Regular Member

Student
    hey mate, before the day you play just steam the tube of shuttles (boil some water in a kettle) that will take away the brittleness and make the shuttles last MUCH longer. It's what they usually do in most places.