OG12 MEN's Singles Finals

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by sonnymak, Aug 7, 2012.

1. julianng

julianng Regular Member

LD's case for winning is more of pressure from his home country. If he don't win, his coach suffer from CBA and country. It's not because he wants to win for his personal satisfaction because he already won everything in badminton.

If LCW don't win, he still get many congratulations from his country. LCW wanted to win for his personal glory and his fans.

So both players had to win it badly, but because of different reasons.

#21 julianng, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    AE is not up there with the WC and the Olympic son, and that's a fact. Yes , is one of the top super-series premier event but is in a different class to the WC and the Olympic.........most people that are not that into badminton will only recognize the highest achievement of the badminton players by their progress in the WC and Olympic and (their ranking )......If you mention the All England to non-badminton fans , they will ''what'' you ..

The Olympic title has always been the biggest prize in badminton and that what all the players strive for

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm.i am not tennis fans
    so if u say all the grandslam name,i also will what u.
    so does this mean those grandslam mean nothing?

4. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    That is not a fact, just your opinion. Anyways why would you care what "non-badminton fans" knew or didn't know about badminton?

5. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

AE may be a prestigous title but it is relatively easier to grab (I said relatively easier, I didn't mean it is easy) as compared to Olympics and Asian Games, for the obvious reason - You only get one opportunity every 4 years, and you don't have that many 4 years in your entire badminton career.

World Championship was 'relatively harder' to get being that it was once every 2 years, now it is easier by having it every year so I am sure as long as LD is not along LCW's way LCW should be able to bag at least 1. It is not as prestigous but it still show some fame because after all the title is 'WORLD' champion.

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    again,that's only ur personal opinion like V1lau said.

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

For Asia players : AE, WC,AG,OG are the 4 major titles.For European players : AE, WC, OG are the 3 major titles.The non Asians will and have argued that AG is not major title cos it does not include players from whole world.

8. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

May I know on which part are you referring? I think everybody would agree that AE is relatively easier to grab since it happens every year as opposed to once every 4 years? Wouldn't you?

9. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    In terms of opportunities in a career, yes. But it can be argued that the strength of competition would favor the AE. How do you put an objective value on each to compare, to arrive at a fact?

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha,at least there is 2 out of ur 'everybody' are not agree with u.
    wc/og got restriction of country player while ae dont,and it already had more than hundred year,had been treated as world championship for about 70 years?

11. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Truth is you get more harder players at the All England or any other super series event, but the fact is if you're LCW or Lin Dan you could probably smash players like Du Pengyu (who didnt make the squad) without even turning up to play.

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

European players and fans of European player would disagree as by default they dont get to participate in AG. There have debates on AG being major title.

#32 eaglehelang, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  13. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    It is treated ''as'' the world championship ,...but it is not the WC where you can call yourself the world champions. AE is not as well-known to the public , but I do take your point as AE being one of the top title to win within a calender year and one that many top players wanted to win.

well done !

#33 Staiger1, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I personally don't agree that LD's physical make up is better than LCW. I actually think LCW is physically better in many ways, or at least equal to LD.

Where they differ is in their technique and mental ability. Although they also differ in that I see LD as a natural born talent, whereas LCW is more of a sculpted, manufactured talent.

Mentally LD is superior, he is a clever thinker, constantly analyzing the game and finding holes. He is an extremely cunning player, can read his opponent like no other and has an ability to adapt to situations. He would play different players completely differently. Watch him play PG and he would really try to p1ss him off, wind him up with shuttle changes, replay serves, floor wipes etc, anything to disrupt PGs mental momentum whereas when's he's playing someone like TH there'd be no need to do that as nothing seems to faze TH.

In the OG finals, LD was not on form and looked tired. He was slow by his standards against LCW and was in fact slow against Sasaki in the semis. He was making a lot of mistakes playing loose net drops before quickly realising in the last game that LCW was simply too quick for him so ended up lifting most of the net shots. He needed to change his tack. He started to play it safe, more passively and patiently, simply waiting for LCW to make an unforced error. I’m sure this was intentional, he knew there’d be no point facing aggression with aggression as he’d tire even more quickly than LCW so played the waiting game.

LCW on the other hand is too regimented mentally, too orthodox technically and too nice a person. LCW doesn't do mind games, he has his own way and sticks to it. This is OK when things are going well and there’s no external factors to consider but when something doesn't go to plan, he is unable to snap out of it and adapt to the new situation. This is the trouble with honest people, they're just good for their own good.

I like LCW a lot, I’ve yet to see a fitter, faster and more dedicated singles player. LCW definitely should have won that match.

15. julianng

julianng Regular Member

This tournament could have been different if Sony Dwi Kuncoro had qualified for the olympics... LCW and LD actually fear him in major tournaments.

Eventhough his ranking is low but he can cause many problems for the two because of his different style.

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

right. if i didn't injured my left wrist years ago the whole history of badminton MS has to be rewritten.

17. julianng

julianng Regular Member

umm... No. Because your not nearly as good as LD is and your wrist would get injured anyway just by playing 5 points with LD.

18. nitelamp

nitelamp Regular Member

If you look back at MSF in Olympic history, physical and technical ability were never the most important factors that made the champions win. The mental strenth, the determination to win the game and 100% concentration on the game is the key characters you need to stick to the end of the game. In 1996, 2000 the Gold medalists defeated the hottest seeded athletes. And in many other matchs as in MX, WD and WS the history just repeat again and again.

In the final both LD and LCW made much more errors comparing with last year London WC final. It's understandable since this Olympic is the last one for their career. LCW's mental strenth is more better than before actually esp in 1st game. However in Set 2 and 3 LCW was affected adversely by some snatches and lost some golden point consecutively. LD also made more mistakes than before however he just has the mental ability to keep his mind concentrated on the game but not the point losted or he's been left behind.

At the same time LD is much more experienced than LCW to deal with last few determine points. LD can pick up speed and not fear to make any errors while LCW obviously is just following up LD's moves. You'll find it even more interesting if you find out in most of the time during the whole game LD is following LCW.

IMO both of them have equal level of physical and technical ability, but LD is more prepared and concentrated for the game.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    how u regard those former great of badminton before 1977 world championship introduce?
    there are no olympic game and asian game either.
    so in long history of badminton,we only have great and legend badminton player after world championship and olympic introduced?

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yeah,i might met u in the OG final while lcw and lin dan posting comment in bc
    hehe