Who will win the 2009 Sudirman Cup?

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2009' started by george@chongwei, Apr 2, 2009.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    nope,they need to defend their points but they failed.
    wong/chin didnt perform well in the 1st quater of 2008;)
    so,no problem of defend their points;)
    and chin knee injury still didnt REALLY recover;)
    so,did wong/chin didnt anything wrong?NO
    anyone discredit?YES:rolleyes:

2. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    WPT/CEH have to prove us that they deserve WR #1 by winning superseries title or WC.

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    who win denmark open last year?:confused:

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

and who won the super series finale last year??:confused:;)

5. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    off course WPT/CEH won those.. i mean this year, they haven't proved something..
    is it due to CEH injury?? Sudirman cup is coming..

6. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    If I were someone, I'd say that they won DEN SS 'coz no top CHN WD participating, and SS Final was a 'hollow victory.'
    :p

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

and luckily you are not 'the one':p;)

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes,just be able to train back this few days;)

let it be,hehe,used to it already;)

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Team tournament outcome don't necessarily work the same way as SS.In AE09, TR was half dead by the time she played WYH but credit to her she still managed to stretch WYH to decider.In SC,TR will play WYHor any CHN WS on a 'fresh basis', ie no unfamiliar but strong opponent like JYJ to burn her out the day before.Similarly,LCW seems to have an advantage over LD on a 'fresh basis' in team events like TC08 and SC07 but trust that LD will be out to show LCW who's king in CHN.(Or CHN may field CL to face LCW just for fun if CHN is fully confident of their chances in 3 other events.)
    I would say, on a fresh basis, only CHN WD is a sure point.The other events will depend on form on that day and surprise line up upsets.It will still be dangerous for CHN.No sure bet there.Remember, a team only has to win 3 events(not 4 or all) every round to be SC champion.On that premise, my guess for chances to win SC is:
    CHN : 70%
    KOR : 50%
    DEN : 50%
    MAS : 30%
    MAS can only win with a creatively smart line-up strategy and their players in top form in the final stages (assuming they reach it)
    Sorry, I don't think INA can win 3 out of 5 events when playing the above four teams but it'll be great for them to prove me wrong.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Based on the recent BAC..^^

..i would also add, barring any injuries and/or freak accident to their top players, CHN's MS & WS are also sure points. And to resound from another thread, IMO, KOR has a slight advantage over DEN in challenging CHN (through their doubles), should they meet in the Semifinals or Finals round.

#50 ctjcad, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  11. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Tina is the only one that can put up a real challenge to the Chinese woman squad. I don't see WMC and Maria have any realistic chance to upset the Chinese, they are hardly comparable to the top Chinese WS, XXF or not.

12. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

China will never play CL or any other teams will ever play their most inexperience player for a crucial matches if they still got three strong and capable players to win 1 point . Except if LD, BCL or CJ , all of them had injury, then China will play CL.

The fresh theory is not totally right. Yes, Tine R will not play lots of China players in this team event so she will not be too tired. But the stress level of playing individual and stress level to play team event are totally different.

Not to mention the pressure that she had to win. Cause even if Tine win against China WS, they are not guarantee will win over China. Not to mention if she lost, their team will 100% lost. So the burden will be huge specially if they met in SF or FInal.

China will win 3 points from MS, XD and WD against Denmark. And Denmark didnot had any guarantee points. Fifty - fifty from MD . And 48:52 from WS.

13. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

I agree with you. Only Zhou Mi and Tine R can challenge Chinese WS squads now.

For other people who think that any other players can win against them, they are in denial.

Have they checked the results this year? Chinese WS win 4 titles from the 4 events they played this year. (When they send their top players)

Wang Yi Han win three from German, All England and Swiss O. And Zhu Lin win ABC. And only Tine R from denmark the only non China player in the AE final. Other three events were all China finals.

That was prove enough that even without XXF, China WS will dominate this year.

Note: So did China WD. They swept five titles from five events that they enter this year even when they did not sent DJ/YY and SC/ZYL at some of the events.

#53 hcpoirot, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  14. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

When I mentioned sure point for CHN WD, it is based on the fact that they have won all the WD titles since AE08 (when they lost it) regardless of which WD they field.That's not the case for CHN MS or WS for the past 12 months so they are not sure points.And non-CHN teams are still at the fast improving stage;CHN team is at the stage of stemming a decline so the gap is narrowing.In that kind of situation, match outcome depends much on form and the element of surprise to swing in favour of the underdogs.Sure,CHN has the advantage in MS and WS but no sure points like their WD.XD is open while MD is for CHN to upset.

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

what on earth are you taking about? CHN won 12 out of the 15 titles in the 3 most recent SS since they came back from their winter training, average of 4/5 per tournament. and the team members are getting younger, say compare with OG08. how's that the gap is narrowing with CHN's 80% winning and the rest of the world combined with only 20%?

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Our time frames are different. You look at CHN's most recent wins.I look at performance over the past 12 months.
    Another criterion is the BWF rankings.Look who are the top 2 in MS now.In the past,CHN occupied the top spots across all categories except MD.See the difference?That's what I mean by stemming the decline.
    The youngsters can win but they'll still be inconsistent for a while.

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Fortunes are changing. LCW is learning the ropes fast. He will not be denied now - he knows what it takes to be a champion and to get the better of LD in the Swiss Open is only the start. There are more wins in the pipeline - no two ways about it.

If he had lost in the SWISS OPEN the story would have been different. But I guess you simply cannot put a champ down and LCW is all champion material.

If we like him now, we are going to love him more this year but if you hate him now, there is no telling what you will do when he gets going:D

18. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I think the Chinese WS is the most under-rated group among all events. If you look into the Chinese WS squad in recent performances, is hard to find someone who can actually challenge them besides Tine Rasmussen and Zhou Mi. Yes, Chinese WS are still young and may fluctuate in performance but I don't see anyone can actually beat them playing at their home court.
    Is hard to see how Team China doesn't win the Sudirman Cup when you look at their representatives on every events, all top notch players with major titles in their bags. As much as I like to envy, I have to to say no one can beat this "Dream Team".
    Glancing thru other challengers, Malaysia may be the one that can come close to challenge China besides Korea ... looking at all different angles, the upset is very unlikely and Team China shall win.
    Just hope all challengers come out with good fight.

19. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

CHN players held most of the points in the ranking system making their drops in the rankings more rapid than those players who only consistently made 1/4's and semi's last year. That CHN doesn't occupy the top spots anymore has more to do with their lack of steady participation to protect their large point holdings than with them facing a decline.

WPT/CEH are a prime example. Are they #1? Sure. But they are #1 bc they were able to reach a bunch of semi's/finals in the latter half of 2008 which boosted their ranking while the points CHN women held completely disappeared. Watch them drop down the rankings again after August when they can't make the finals/semi's anymore bc China is participating again.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You have to ask why CHN opt out of tournaments.It's not because they want to but they have to.In the process, of course they lose out in the rankings.CHN may be able to get back the rankings they used to have or they may not. But between taking time out to properly train a whole team of youngsters and losing points,CHN reckons it better to put up with short term loss for long term gain.
    BWF rankings do not necessarily reflect player prowess but they do affect title outcome through the luck of the draw.Most players depend on the draw to determine how far they can go;some players perform regardless.It will be interesting to see...CHN WD can own the title for good. It's the MS that will be worthy of suspense.