Misbun quits as national singles coach

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Jan 1, 2011.

1. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Wednesday January 5, 2011

The Star
    Rashid: Misbun will not get others involved over his decision to quit

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: It will be a tough job to persuade Misbun Sidek out of a decision when he has made up his mind. But be rest assured that he will not drag anyone into a controversy over his decision to quit as a national coach.
    These were the honest opinion of Rashid Sidek, the youngest brother of Misbun, after a training session at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara yesterday.
    Misbun tendered his resignation on Dec 31 and Rashid, who is one of the singles coaches in the national team, said that he would not be pressured in any way to follow suit.
    He said that he was ready to shoulder the heavier responsibility of taking charge of the men’s singles players in the absence of his brother.
    [​IMG] Determined man: Rashid Sidek (right) says it would be very difficult to persuade his brother Misbun (left) to change his mind over his decision to quit as national coach.
    Rashid said that he knew his brother best and suspected that the decision to quit was a due to a culmination of several events over a year.
    “I grew up following him in every stage of my life. I know that he can be eccentric and can be difficult at times. It is not easy to work with him,” admitted Rashid.
    “There was one incident during my school days that I remember vividly. There was a big commotion when he just walked out on his coach, Tan Yee Khan (in 1980s). He decided to train on his own and no one could stop him from doing so.
    “I am not saying that what he did was right or wrong. But it is not easy to make him change his mind when he puts his foot down on something. He always has a reason behind it all.”
    Rashid said that Misbun had not bared his soul on his resignation to the family but the latter had been totally distraught over the last few days.
    “He is a great joker and there is always fun when he is around. But over the last few days, his sad face says it all. We do not dare ask anything. Right now, he just needs our support,” said Rashid.
    “I was there when Misbun cried and told all of us (the singles department) that he was quitting (on the eve of Dec 31). I was shocked too.
    “Misbun has tolerated many things since he agreed to take up the job as a coach with the BAM in 2003. He did his job with vigour and passion.
    “But since last year, I saw unhappiness in him but he continued to be patient. How will he feel when his programme kept being questioned all the time?
    “Of course, he trains his players to be winners and not otherwise. And there were other things too. He kept it all to himself and finally, he just snapped.”
    On whether Misbun would condone the walkout of players, including Chong Wei from the national set-up as a show of loyalty to him, Rashid said that his brother would do nothing of the sort to influence the players to leave the BAM.
    “If I know Misbun, he will not allow others to do battle for him. He is on his own. He will not jeopardise the interest of others,” he said.
    “In fact, his son (Misbun Ramdan) is back in training. It is not one incident or an overnight matter but too much has happened since last year and I think, my brother just could not take it any more.”
    On the chances of Misbun changing his mind and returning to the BAM, Rashid said: “It’s a slim chance. But who knows, somebody may be able to talk him out of it.”
    On the target this year for his charges – Liew Daren, Chong Wei Feng, Chan Kwong Beng and Tan Chun Seang – Rashid said: “I will work in partnership with Hendrawan (back-up coach) to improve the standard of the future players for the country.
    “We will continue with our efforts to get players to take over from Chong Wei and (Mohd) Hafiz (Hashim) in the next two years.”

2. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Biarlah mereka pergi: Zolkples (Let Then go)

by Hussain Said
    hussain@bharian.com.my
    2011/01/05

‘BAM tidak akan terjejas kerana Misbun hanya latih Chong Wei seorang’ (BAM will not be affected because MS only trained LCW):mad:

"JIKA kedua-duanya (Datuk Misbun Sidek dan Lee Chong Wei) menerima tawaran lebih baik di luar, biarlah mereka pergi." (If both of them are receiving better offer out of BAM, then let them go)
    […]

Zolkples yakin tindakan Misbun dan Chong Wei keluar dari BAM tidak akan menjejaskan misi memburu pingat emas di Sukan Olimpik London 2012 mahu pun badan induk itu sendiri. (Z confident MS and LCW’s action to quit BAM won’t jeopardize either MAS’s gold mission in London Olympic 2012 or the body itself.) :eek::eek::mad::mad::mad: *shaking me head* let your words eat you alive man…

[…]

“Sebaliknya, BAM boleh menggunakan kewangan yang ada untuk membimbing dan melahirkan lebih ramai Chong Wei baru. [BAM can use current financial source to train and develop more new LCW]… perhaps after more years of money-wasting dude…:cool:

[…]
    http://www.bharian.com.my/bharian/articles/Biarlahmerekapergi_Zolkples/Article

I don’t wanna sound bias over the decision to let both go… but that’s just an easy way out by both BAM and MSN. The problem with no solution is still there and you expect to bring glory when you can’t even handle your internal problems? Tsk tsk tsk… in your dream…

3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Not to speculate but:

- Most likely, not from the current BAM managements that will be that somebody who will able to persuade him since it was from whatever decisions made from them causes him to leave at the first place
    - His brothers most probably won't interfere with his decision and as the eldest brother of all sidek's, they know him well and respects his action.
    - Unless that somebody can be someone that he beleives that can make authoritive changes for the betterment of Malaysia badminton or someone that he trust, then other than the our YB Sports Minister or YB Prime Minister or DYMM Agong, Datuk LCW will definetly also fits the bill.

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    u left out r0smah.......... she is the real patron!

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    @eRa: it all sounds like a case of the blind leading the blind. :eek: They have no idea what to do because they all (NSC, BAM) have been caught blindsided (or with their pants down!:D) So they are making all the usual noises and show of confidence.

But all you NSC and BAM officials: wake up! the cupboard is quite bare!!!!!!!! and whose fault do you think that is? :rolleyes:

6. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Chong Wei, jangan mudah lupa daratan (CW, Don't be Ungrateful):eek::eek:
    By Hussain Said

2011/01/05

Pemain itu dakwa BAM mengabaikannya (The player claimed that BAM neglected him)

JANGAN lupa daratan! Itulah ingatan tegas yang dinyatakan Presiden Persatuan Badminton Malaysia (BAM), Datuk Seri Mohd Nadzmi Salleh kepada jaguh perseorangan, Lee Chong Wei yang tampak lantang mengkritik badan induk itu.
    “Dia perlu ingat jasa BAM. Kita memberi banyak sokongan termasuk kewangan dan moral kepadanya hingga dia berjaya hari ini. Dia tidak perlu mengugut dan mengkritik seperti itu,” katanya. (Don’t be ungrateful! :eek: That’s the strong reminder stated by BAM’s President, DSMNS to LCW who seemed distinct/loud in criticizing the body. “He needs to remember BAM’s contribution (?). We give a lot of support including monetary and moral to him until he succeeded today.) :rolleyes: – tsk tsk tsk…he’s merely stating facts and truth, man… are you blind or even deaf? Did he say you guys didn’t support him financially for each tournament he entered? :cool: NOPE… he said SOME of you guys don’t APPRECIATE. Two different words with two different meaning… :cool:

[…]

Mohd Nadzmi bagaimanapun mengingatkan pemain nombor satu dunia itu bukan mudah untuk berdikari di luar kerana banyak contoh pemain yang keluar daripada badan induk itu gagal menyerlah dan tenggelam. (MN however, reminds the No. 1 player that it is not easy to be independent because there are many examples when players opting out of BAM and failed to shine and eventually “sink” *cough*) boss, this is LCW we’re talking about… failed to shine? “sink”? *cough* you just blackmailing him, kan? Tsk tsk tsk… is that the best you can do?

“Kita memperkenalkan syarat baru supaya penaja yang mahu menaja pemain perlu menerusi BAM kerana tidak mahu timbul konflik dengan penaja sedia ada, selain memastikan setiap tajaan itu tidak dibolot oleh seorang pemain,” katanya. (“We introduce new rule so that the sponsor who wanna offer sponsorship to player need to go through BAM to avoid conflict with current sponsors, beside ensuring it’s not monopolized by one player,” he (who doesn’t think) said.) … Truth is, where does your most sponsorship come from, I mean player wise? That’s why before you said anything, think wisely old man… think wisely…

http://www.bharian.com.my/bharian/articles/ChongWei_janganmudahlupadaratan/Article

I know you’re shaking also but haiya, aren’t you suppose to talk to MS and LCW first before giving any statement… I’m no longer looking forward to more reasonable statements from this person…:cool:

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ... attack is the best form of defence...

8. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    It appears that ‘High Performance Director’ is a new term in the sport of badminton.
    Normally you would call the coach in charge of coaching as head coach or chief coach and there should no additional layer above that. He would report to the management committee of his badminton association. China calls LYB its chief or head coach and he is in charge of all the other coaches. A high performance director above the head or chief coach involves additional expenses, etc., and it is ‘Parkinson’s Law’ in practice.
    The chief coach must have the credentials befitting his position.
    Besides some management skills, he should at least have won his country’s open tournaments be it singles or doubles. He should also have won some international tournaments. If not, it is not easy for him to earn the respect of his charges.

9. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    @cobalt - LOL... experienced old men with zero experience... how is that even possible? LOL people who never learn from their mistake are the biggest failures... Since the cupboard is nearing empty let's move to Nusa Mahsuri... :D

Ok, off to work... cheers!

#189 eRa@에라, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ummm... its not so very necessary for a High Performance Director to have the playing backround, to do a good job. A good player does not necessarily make a good coach, and vice versa. Besides, the post itself IMO is a good idea, if the objective is to provide complete focus on the elite group and to add to the funnel for the elite group.

I also believe he was quoted as saying he has just recently taken up this post, and wil be devoting himself full-time only from this January. Maybe it is too early to pass judgement?

11. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I jope all this won t affects LCW's performances in SSMF and coming MO11..........

12. aresya

aresya Regular Member

oh noooo .... is that nadzmi 1st statement ? attack chongwei ?aiyaaaa
    hope chongwei did not read this ...

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

on BAM :

1) They have just implemented a system for a few months and people are already shooting them down. James already said
    they need time to fine tune the system.Many organisations are not so rigid on guidelines and rules and recognise the need
    to change and improve,so there is always room for flexibility and allowance for unique situations. But allowing for
    eg.nepotism to be practised may not be tolerated.
    On MS :
    2) As mentioned by his brother as a player MS didn't like BAM and walked out in 1980, in 1988 it took Mahathir to personally
    persuade him to play for the Thomas Cup.MS may not realise the need to see the big picture and look at the needs of
    everyone as a whole before making a decision.That is not to say he has a problem, rather it is a general need to recognise
    that change of mindset is imminent in the modern world and it is necessary to adjust and adapt instead of staying in the old
    comfort zone.

If you resign from a job abruptly and your boss doesn't retain you, it is time to move on.

I think it is difficult to judge right and wrong,but unless we are talking about operations involving life and death there is always
    room for flexibility and compromise on the part of both conflicting parties in a dispute.

14. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    if the player is Habis, sure BAM will beg him to come back
    just like when he left for Nusa Mahsuri...BAM can wait until he is back..
    too bad...DLCW can go and BAM dont care at all lol....

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

In the first place LCW should just wait before making all his statements and let MS and BAM sort it out.

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Well, I suppose LCW was also distraught over what happened, and possibly needed to express his frustration as well.

17. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    if referring to the president, that would be the correct phrase:D

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yep. :D

19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

hahahahaha Era, today you're in colourful mood, so many colours. :D:D
    Where got other players sink, even lesser known Gan Teck Chai/Tan Bin Shen can survive. Uncles CTF/LWW, WCH, CCM/CCE had no problems securing sponsors.

LCW, no problemo, already got so many sponsors signed him - Yonex,100Plus, Samsung, Maxis, Phiten, Karpersky. That's not inlcuding BAM's sponsors. What Rashid said in NST is right, if LCW also go, BAM got problem in future sponsorship

But this response look similar to Datuk Z & the former Sports Minister's when Gan/TBS, LWF, OSH wanted out in 2008. The only problem(if BAM dare) is ban LCW for 2 years like what they tried with TCS, but that will bring big drama, lol.

#199 eaglehelang, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

It can be a strategy, in support to Misbun. If not, BAM would not see the importance of Misbun, if LCW dont care Misbun leave, then less leverage to bargain. ;)