Yonex Nanogy 99 string ( NBG99 )

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ssgg007, Jan 21, 2012.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm a fan of thicker strings, to get an equivalent repulsive feel and sound to thinner strings you need to string to higher tensions. I now use 27lb down from 28/29lb to ease the pain in my shoulder.

There's probably more power to be had with thinner strings when strung at low tension, compared to thick strings at the same low tension, but when it comes to high tensions, thin strings tend to lose a lot more power compared to thick.

I've still not used NBG99 yet, I'll probably cut my BG68Ti from my 8DX this weekend and give it a go. Having tried and loved NBG95 on my Z-slash, I am really looking forward to trying NBG99 on my 8DX. My only gripe with NBG95 is the lack of feel. There is no shortage of power and control wise I think it is adequate. If only it had more feel and if only it came in white!

Will report back once I've had a chance to try the NBG99.

Btw, does anyone know what is the difference between the SP, CH, JP, UK etc versions of NBG99?

I see they differ in price on MBS but I really don't understand why. Ok, if it's a racquet I can see that a JP version may be worth more than SP but surely strings should be the same???

Has anyone tried the different versions before?

2. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

I once strung 2 of my VTZF with Nanogy 99 JP and SP code

both VTZF were strung by the same stringer, who using the same engine YY5Espro, and applied 27x27 Lbs / 2 Knots.

I felt that the SP code seems to loose the tension quicker, whilst the JP code would last longer in holding its tension.

IMHO

3. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

After playing more with the rackets tonight with feather, they felt a bit better... Initially I still got the dead feeling, but after playing for awhile longer for whatever reason I started getting a bit more power out of the racket, while it still doesn't match the power I get from the 66 maxima's at least it's more playable... Maybe I'll keep them on my rackets for awhile longer since I already paid for them to be strung, kinda a waste of money to restring them with new strings since it would cost over $100 to do this little experiment, guess should've just strung up one racket to see how it plays instead of stringing all four lol....

4. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Tried this string today for a full session. Strung @ 26lbs 2 piece stringing, un-stretched.

I felt that the feel of this string is behind BG66Ultimax or BG80Power.

NBG99 felt somewhat slippery like NBG95.

Control is good at the net, good as advertised.

The sound is not as crisp or as loud as BG66 ultimax.

Power-wise, I felt that BG80Power or BG66 Ultimax is much better.

Durability, I believed should be great given the 0.69mm gauge.

5. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    Wow nbg99 was prefect match on flex racket, control n smashing like demon

6. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Didnt really like this string. A week using this string and Im going back to my BG98

7. istring4you

istring4you Regular Member

Seems like there are differing ideas over this string. I have used this string for 4 months on MX80 and this is my opinion:

SP
    Power: BG66UM > NBG99 (Slight edge. I guess hard to compare a thin .66 to a thick .69. I must say for a .69, NBG99's power is impressive)
    Repulsion: BG66UM > NBG99 (same as above)
    Durability: NBG99 > BG66UM (Though rated a mere 7 by Yonex on durability, somehow a brute force brainless smasher like me can still keep an NBG99 intact for 4 months and going. Speaks volumes. BG66UM can never survive 2 months. I start to see some wear and tear from the 3rd month though. One thing to note that the NBG99 coating is a little fragile but still tougher than Ultimax. Have to exercise care when stringing)
    Hitting Sound: BG66UM > NBG99 (Slight edge. Again no surprise for a thin string to beat a thick one in this. So don't complain it is inferior. One uses a thicker string because he likes the feel and is ready to make sacrifices. To be honest NBG99 is loud too but with a duller thud compared to the higher ping sound from Ultimax)
    Shock Absorption: BG66UM = NBG99 (Both are a little soft and very easy on your arms. Still medium feeling though and not as soft as BG66M or BG68TI)
    Control: NBG99 >= BG66UM (Touted full marks for control, NBG99 justifies itself but BG66UM is no slouch either. NBG99 has a more coarse surface than BG66UM which may have a light edge approaching net shots. It is by no means slippery from my experience. I don't think any slippery strings will be rated highly in control)
    Feel: Depends on individual. A thin vs a thick coarse surfaced string. Both feel a little soft though.
    Tension Retention: Strange to say after 4 months, i am confident that it has only dropped 1LB at most (i play at 30LB and string myself electronically so i know what i mean). Could be because of the racket or my stringing :p

8. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

agree with istring4you :D

Durability and tension retention of nbg99 are lots better than average strings

9. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    4 months :eek:....
    That was really cost effective...

10. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

Thanks for the post. Already tried bg 66um on my yonex racket couldn't string too high or warranty is void, but still loved it. Now gonna string 99 tomorrow, for my other racket that can go up to 33lbs, it makes sense stringing higher tension on that racket using a thicker string to be cost effective Hahas.

11. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    It is the most durable string i have played with yet, is lasted longer than bg 65 and nbg 95.

The string is only in the control and durability better than nbg 95, 98 or bg65.

The nbg 98 plays the best for me, but the last 3 strings of nbg 98 only lasted about a week max...

For me the best of those is still the nbg95.

12. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

Anyway Nbg99 need to pre stretch?

13. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    it is up to you

14. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

Haha the stringer told me if I pre stretch the string will feel dead and weird, luckily he gave me the advice... Btw at 28 lbs the string feels like my bg 66um at 24 lbs, even sounds like bg 66um at 24 lbs. I should have asked him string 29 or 30. Well, that's next round then.

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    wow, so high tension. Must be a high hand then? hopefully the racket can last after 2 strings if the tension holds true. Great pressure on the racket. ;)

16. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    on which rackets did you string it?

17. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

Bought these strings but still waiting for one current strings on my rackets to snap. I do not want to cut my NBG98s, and it's been more than 3 months @ 25 lbs.

18. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

I strung on this flex power clone racket of n90ii, which can hold up to 33lbs. The tension of nbg99 dropped perhaps 1 to 2 lbs by now in like 4 months, pretty ok. I played regularly in October and November, then went overseas during December and when I came back the feeling is still fine. But still I prefer bg66um lols.

19. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

@extremenanopowe Hahas the racket was designed to hold 33 lbs anyways, btw its not a very important racket now probably a racket used to test out strings b4 I string it on my main racket sw35. I suspect I will switch from sw35 to a mx jjs or vt80 soon, but definitely after this nbg99 snaps, I'm gonna try vs850 agn or use bg66um. 99 is a good string but doesn't suit my style sufficiently. Lacking in certain areas.

20. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

I really enjoyed playing with bg66um but the tension loss was too great especially when it was strung at a high tension, and it snapped after 8 sessions (one month) of play. It's expensive to get strings strung here in Toronto/Markham