Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Putting all the eggs in one basket or milk the cow??..

- Do you know datuk LCW also has a lingering leg injury to deal with?
    - Do you know what's happening to LYD now after he's played in so many tourneys the last yr or so?
    - If by asking him to milk the money cow til dry, how many SS do you expect him to play in?
    - If he plays in more SS, is there a guarantee for him to win it all?
    - How will he stay in top shape considering he's getting up there in age? Well, by selecting certain tourneys to go all out. IMO, that's the wisest route to go. After all, unlike Yeoh, Sairul, KBH, LCW is financially secured for the rest of his life.:cool:

#321 ctjcad, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

#322 OneToughBirdie, Mar 15, 2010
  3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    In 2011, BWF will have 4 Grand Slam and offers bigger points....
    In 2012..LCW could be 30 and LD will be 29...not many players around that age can play well...
    LD, for sure, he knows that he is not that young anymore...I wont be surprised that he will play only TC, WC, Asian games, 2 tournamenst in China sponsored by Lining...and may be another SS in 2010..
    For 2012...wont eb easy for any countyr to get their 3 players in top 4...I think we will have young stars coming out...

4. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    That solves it...No need to select, just sign up for the 4 SS. Agree with you, not many players at 29-30 can still be tops, so go for as many SS as possible and hope to win some $$$. If cannot win SS in 2010 and maybe 2011, 2012 is longshot and tough with young guns coming blazing down fast and furious.;)

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- Sure, he hasn't skipped the last 4 SS (going back to the China Open of last yr). But do you know how he finished in last yr's China Open? Do you know he's skipping the upcoming Swiss Open SS??..So far, in 2010, LCW has been fortunate to not re-aggravate his leg injury..
    - Yes, LCW can do all those, as long as he stays healthy/injury free.
    Those folks, Buffett, LKS and all the mega millionaires are still working in their sunset days, sure. But they aren't working and earning $$$ with a racket in one hand and drinking teh tarek in the other. Thus, can't compare LCW with those folks; LCW on one hand has to rely on avoiding injuries to make or break his career; unless those folks are also running around on a court in a pair of Yonex shoes and colored blonde/red/brown hairdo..;)

#325 ctjcad, Mar 15, 2010
  6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Honestly, if I am LCW, I would skip CO (all those energy expended only to face a charged up CHN squad with a must-win-or-lose-face readiness and officiating;), why even bother). I would skip DEN Open (too much flying, unless he want to do shopping), HKO, Taiwan Open, Macao Open. Play JO, IO (5 star), MO, AE, Singapore Open (so close he can see Spore from his house:D). Then again, Yonex and BAM may have the final say where to play.
    With 4 SS wins in a row, wise to skip SO, don't be so greedy, give others a chance lah.
    Agree with you on Buffet, etc look-easy working style, but sometimes, working mentally is just as killing as physically. Physical work you can get hurt, career over but if nothing bad happens, you can sleep well, maybe. Mental work, with hostile shareholders and negative returns in a down year, you may not sleep at all and that kills a lot of brain cells, and affects your health in another way;). There are lots of times, I rather play baddy than to look at projects with a merciless timeline facing me...I really look forward to retirement, qualify for senior discount at McDonald coffee minus the aging part of course.;)

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..LCW has only attended, not won, the last 4 SS in a row(2009 China Open; 2010 M'sia Open, Korea Open and AE). Unless you count the invitational SSMF this past December.:cool:

8. OneToughBirdie

engineer

Oh forgot one SS a must to sign up...ie SSF if it still exists according to Rudy...that is as good as kaching, $$$ in the bank...problem is how to collect $$$ when BAM pull a stunt like XBall 'don't payup':D;)

9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    When it comes to $$$, of course include the SSF, that is almost a gift with the entire CHN squad absent, 2X the winning cheque amount of regular SS...even with IOU and pay later kinda thingie.:D

#329 OneToughBirdie, Mar 15, 2010
  10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Who do we think can overtake LCW from his WR #1 position before the 2012 OG?

I would guess that Yonex will have a say on what 'Open Tournaments' LCW is to play. And BAM will have a say on what 'Inter-Nations Tournaments' LCW is to play.

But, even though this thread is titled "Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 Olympic Games?", it can be asked as "Who do we think can overtake LCW from his WR #1 position before the 2012 Olympic Games?".

11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Do you know what is the points spread between Dato, CJ and LD, assuming he is the nearest. That way, with 2.5 years away and the number of tournaments to play till 2012, you can maybe get an idea;)

12. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Seriously we can not predict that LCW will stay numero uno in 2011..
    If Tago within a year improves so much...who knows within 2 yrs, we may see Wan and Choi from Korea...Guru from India..Jan from Denmark or Du Peng Yu from China or Hayom from INA....

may be that time in 2012..those LD, LCW or even CJ could not be dominate....
    I do not see TH, Bao or Gade will be in 2012....
    We all know that we can not predict..like who can predict that Tago would be AE finalist...seriously...or MD finalist were from DEN...

13. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    We are musing when making predictions as if we have nothing better to do:D If LCW is far ahead in WR points, 2011 is 20 months away and let's see how many SS to play till then? Assuming LCW plays and wins some SS, that stretches his WR pts even further, and it is very difficult for the youngsters to catch him. Remember these youngsters are starting from low WR pts now.
    Rumba, Du, JOJ has potential but have not won anything yet, may bloom or may fizzle. I like Rumba, INA always produce top player and Rumba looks the one. Du and JOJ are okay, but no LD or PG. I would not be surprised Du goes away quietly like Gong Wei Jie. As for Tago, his credentials are impeccable blessed too he is young. Who is Guru, I thought you are referring to my malay guru a long time ago:D:p As for Choi, 26 yrs and still a qualifier, just got lucky catching a out-of-game-shape LD. Wan KO CL (good player, nota great player), I like to see him do it again, not a flash in the pan. Malaysia, sadly, there is no one coming up:crying:
    So, can LCW maintain WR1 till 2011...I say if he focus, play smart in certain SS and maintain his game fitness till 2012 OLY, and based on his lead in WR pts, he may be there or high up in ranking. Whether he can win is a whole different matter, a lot depends on luck and draw as AE proved that.
    You know what, a lot of people has written LD off...I have a hunch, LD will return and proves everyone wrong...just a hunch.

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I can't remember how they tally WR points but don't they keep only one year's worth of points or something like that? If that's the case, LCW stands to lose a ton of points if he doesn't have the same start as he did in 2010.

Maybe someone can help.

15. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Ranking pinst can stay within a year or 52 weeks or the best 10 results in a year..
    So lets say that LCW play 10 tournaments this year, he won at least 5 SS...if he plays less next year and does not win many SS, the points will deducted systematicaly...
    Plus with SS upgrade, it will make the points system more interesting...

16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Noone is going to write LD off.....he will play minimum tournaments only..unfortunately..

17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Maybe I should not use the word, 'people write him off'...to say, 'people say he won't come back as dominant' as before...that's better. I based my assumption on LD as a prideful, discipline, 'kiasu' (hate to lose) attitude, or I-show-you-what-I-can-do..that is why, I wouldn't want to bet against him.

18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    If WR points cannot carry over year-over-year, then it would be a challenge for LCW to maintain WR1 then...but still rank at the top though.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..that's correct-a-mundo..

BWF ruling:
    "2. Tournaments included in the World Rankings
    The Rankings are compiled from the results of tournaments that are sanctioned by the BWF (except Junior and Invitational tournaments) held over the last 52 week period. All tournaments eligible, under the criteria at the end of this section, are graded and the details of the grade are published in the International Calendar of Tournaments."

Current 2010 WRs:
    http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/ranking/ranking.aspx?rid=80

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    LD is a smart player otherwise he wouldn't have won so many majors, he knows his flaws for staying away and that erodes his sharpness and it showed in KO and AE. Unless you have inside information from the CHN camp which I don't, I am guessing that contrary to saying LD will play less, I think LD will play more until he gets back to game shape readiness. Starting with SO and training hard for TC, if LD meets LCW in TC, LD can actually gauge how close/far apart he is to LCW and train from there.