Yonex BG80 power

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Blitzzards, Jul 14, 2011.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you are just helping Winston pay his mortgage and child care fund! :D

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

This is what really put me off:(

3. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Well I just put in my order for 10 packs.. :p

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Aren't all JP's around that mark :p? Should just wait for the international/sp version ;)
    $14 isn't that much if stringing is free for you plus you run the risk of feeling let down once you've convinced yourself there's a significant difference between Jp's and the rest ... The "normal" version in single packs almost sell for that much over here [​IMG] (but who buys them anyway)

The BG80P in regular packaging is already in the catalogue as per page 1 and they are apparently arriving at the local distro here next week :)

#64 demolidor, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  5. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I just got two packets just for fun. (Okay, because they're orange) :) Not under the delusion that JP coded rackets/strings/underwear are any different from any others. If I like it, I'll wait for the IP/SP versions to become more readily available. No biggie.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yeah no harm getting a few singles :cool: (would have as well if I hadn't known the above, going to order a few BG80 regular in the new colours instead: black and sky/iceblue).

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've put my 80P through a good few hours of play, so here are some thoughts.

The outer weave is completely different from BG80, whose harsh coating was a part of its DNA. It strings easier, but still has a hint of the old BG80 "scream". The sound is different as well - less metallic than BG80, but still high and clear. More of a "ping" than a "ting".

Power-wise, 80P is noticeably easier to bend (for me, at least). I was hitting lifts long for a good while until I got used to the difference. Given that BG80 wasn't exactly wimpy to begin with, the power hike is impressive.

In terms of control, the new coating offers good grip - it seems to have a slight "traction", like hard rubber. However, I can imagine some people missing the old BG80 rope-saw effect on slice shots. 80P has excellent feel as well, but it does diminish somewhat as the string is played in for a few hours.

80P holds tension better, IMO (which, again, BG80 didn't exactly do badly) and was more consistent over my testing, playing at least 70% as good after ten hours as it did brand new. This is a pretty high percentage IME.

Looks like Yonex are onto a winner here, and trading off the name of the old BG80 was pretty sharp - it's a 0.68 Vectran, after all, and BG80 has already got a huge following. Only drawback, at the moment, is the price, but as soon as we start seeing SP-coded reels the cost should drop to a sane level.

Props to Winston for the samples - Dink, you'll get yours soon;).

8. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    One of my MX80's is getting strung with it tomorrow. Yay for me! Yay for orange! :)

Did you string it at your regular tension, Mark? I'm considering 1lb higher than I normally would with other 0.68 strings like ZM67 and regular BG80 on my MX80.

Mostly so I can captialise on the powwwwwrrrrrrrrr!

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I used the 80P at 28, as I did with the BG80. My "usual" setup is 30 or 31 with Z70, so I backed off a couple of pounds in deference to the Vectran.

10. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Sounds like a winner. Gonna have to give it a try.

11. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Does the BG80P have the same "hard" feel as the regular BG80?
    Or is it "softer" like BG66UM?

12. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Awww... My stringer mis-weaved near the middle... Making my string bed very lose... Can't really comment on them :(

$15 lost :(

13. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I hate it when that happens. I just recently noticed two mis-weaves on one of my newly re-strung rackets. I knew something was wrong because the said strings constantly moved around. It didn't effect how the racket played but knowing that there was something not quite right really irritated me. In the end I took a pair of scissors to it. Needless to say I won't be using that stringer again.

14. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Yea... I'm a little disappointed with him... But he's sort of a friend of a friend...

Well for me... The strings moved around a lot, it feels really lose, and makes my racquet vibrate when I hit a particular area... It just doesn't feel right...

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It's not as "crunchy" as BG80 by any means, but still lets you know when you've hit one well.

This is why I do two mis-weave checks for every racket. I'd rather commit hara-kiri than let a mis-weave out the door (even/especially on my own rackets:D).

16. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Yea... I want to get my own stringing machine... Anyone know where I can order a Pro Pro Challenger to Canada? Gonna try to work it into my budget of things to buy...

17. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Picking up my MX80 strung with BG80P tonight. Can't wait! I'll be able to do a comparo with ZM67 red too because I have an identical 80 strung with it.

18. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Okay......so, only played 2 matches so far......one with ZM67 red, and one with BG80P. Out of the box, the ZM is better. Crisp, lively, moves around heaps though at 24lbs. BG has a nice feel sometimes, but not consistently. Feels a bit strange, can't quite put my finger on it. Stringbed barely moved around, which is freaky. Early leader......ZM67

19. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    maybe bg80pro is suit best for nanoray 700..huhuhu...

20. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Got it properly strung on my Shiden... I am VERY VERY disappointed!!!

Compare to NBG98, BG66UM and BG66M.. The BG80P is REALLY weak! And it moves around a lot!!! I had it strung at 25lbs... And the string bed feels tight but just very ineffective compare to my BG66UM....

BG66M is my favourite at the moment