Junior badminton

Discussion in 'Malaysia' started by avidshuttler, Jun 6, 2007.

1. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    haha. yea. gambateh! i wanna get into klba :)

2. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Hmm.. if you ask me, you should really play your heart out in your lower secondary school years. In PMR, no one looks at your results when you enter college/apply scholarships/work. Just get a few A's, and you can choose any stream you want.

But SPM.. form 4 ain't no honeymoon year. Seriously. This is when you concentrate on both co curricular activities and studies. Why? Form 4 gives you a really important foundation in studies. Co curricular take part in at least 1 club besides badminton. Form 4s are given priorities for the higher posts in all clubs, unless you have form 6 in your school.. that only affects your chances a very slight bit anyhow.

Then again, that's just my opinion. =) I've been brought up such that studies #1, badminton #2.

3. blessing

blessing Regular Member

haha.. u should took it up few yrs ago.. then u'll hv a brighter road in badminton.. form 4 hv a lot of stuffs to do.. includin studies.. its a bit late to take it seriously nx yr.. unless u train for badminton everyday.. anyway.. good luck.. :):):)

4. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    Joanne and blessing : thanks you guys! :) .. hmm. yea I know. but since my parents don't lemme take up badminton this year. reason : PMR! sigh. that's why. if next year, I would wanna try joining the KLBA. everyday train I bet. hmm. gotta put extra effort nxt yr. and yay. 1st. studies. 2nd. badminton.

5. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Hey cqmy1612, we are on the same track !!!
    Since u got PMR and i got SPM...im working hard to get into SBA !!!
    Hope u can get in too !!!
    All the best to u dude !!!

6. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    what's SBA? haha. also like KLBA like that? :confused: yeap. all the best to you. haha!

7. es-stateplayer

es-stateplayer Regular Member

master student
    SBA is Selangor Badminton Ascosiation lo...watever xxBA oso got la...

8. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    SBA is selangor badminton association wherelse KLBA is Kuala Lumper Badminton Association...
    both also same function just that diff place...

9. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    es-stateplayer and zhi wei : thanks for da info!! :)

10. blessing

blessing Regular Member

By da way.. may i know how to qualify for either KLBA or SBA?

11. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    I've asked a KLBA player. a good friend of mine. he said.. you must be good in any inter-school competition. reach the finals at least. and some talent-scouts will look up to you. and will ask you to join. I once got asked. but my parents' didn't let. sigh. so.. gotta wait for next year.

12. es-stateplayer

master student
    d best way is of cos u know ppl inside lo then easier to get in...if not u hv to play MSSS then show some result like enter final to draw their notice on u...or join SBA close tournament n beat their players lo till their ppl notice u...mayb thr r other ways but not tat i know...act y wanna enter? reli wanna take badminton as career? now i hv 2 ex SBA player in my team follow me cari makan haha..u represented district b4 anot?

13. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    taking up badminton as a career. do you guys think it's worth it anot?

14. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Well...if ur good in it and talented, den why not give a try???
    But of cuz i also wanna try or else i will regret later for not trying at all...
    so do give a try then !!!

15. blessing

blessing Regular Member

yup.. wat's da advantages to join state association..? if then qualify for Bj is better lor... but its all too late for me.. going to graduate my 2ndary schd is yr dy.. lol

16. es-stateplayer

master student
    well thgs r not as simple as all of u know act...just thr is another set of prob when u get into d association...tats y all these players didn't continue so they quit n join our group just play social group outside cari makan haha...but wat r d probs or advantages u'll only know when u get inside cos diff batch oso diff n dunno who r d comittee members now d...u represented district b4 anot?

17. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Well...im gonna end my secondary life too...
    somehow i have to try u know...trying to get in BJ...just hate my study life !!!
    Rather have a badminton life !!!

18. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Hmm.. very very honestly, too much pressure/emphasis on winning takes the pure fun out of the game. Last time when my coach just kept pushing and pushing and pushing... after a while.. I felt kinda, you know, "hey, where's the fun?" feeling.

We trained on court 2 hours, and after that we had a 1 hour physical to look forward to. Of course, I improved drastically in a few months, from practically a beginner to one who can beat some district players(but not joined MSSS before, often crash out too early to state players) player.

Zhi Wei, you know my level now, well it was much much higher before when I was training competitively(hahaha yeah I play like don't care don't care now =P). If you get opportunity someday ask for my book, where I recorded all my exercises and number of repetitions every training session.

Oh, I'll admit tournaments are super fun. Especially when you have a whole team to cheer you on, to encourage you from the sidelines, to hug you after a fantastic win, to comfort you after a loss...

But the pressure.. and sometimes too tough training..

:p Oki oki, I'll admit that I'm quite lazy. Haha! If no one pushes me I just slack more and more. Maybe thats why my coach pushed me so hard. Lol. I was supposed to do my own jogging and other training by myself... but.. :p Of course, he never knew that I didn't do the extra physical exercises on non-training days because somehow my stamina was still one of the best in training(must have been all catching games when I was much younger). I used to do the minimum unless my coach pushed me. I was sometimes scolded for fooling around during games during training(you know, lousy chicken strokes just to laugh about, but foolish ones to use in tournaments).

Not to mention the dirty playing by some players/coaches/organisers. In tournaments.. the politics.. kiasu parents who want their 7 year olds to win the U10 category will practically kill to get their precious babes to win.

So... after my long speech(vented after studying too hard), do think hard about really wanting to have a badminton career...

Then again, probably those of you who aspire to be national players are not as lazy as I am. :p

My coach had an easier time with me as compared to my piano teacher though.. but that's a different story. hehehe.

Enough crapping for now, all the best to all future national players! Do Malaysia proud! :D

19. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Haha !!!
    Thanks for ur lecturing Joanne !!! I understand what ur trying to tell me here !!! All ur hard effort made u a better player...just like me too...from dun even know how to hit until today...after going thru pushes by coaches and many other challenges that i faced when i was a "noob" !!

Somehow, i want to increase my game to another level !! Having the level now is just like so so lousy to me, in school many say im good, but actually the fact i was trying to tell them that i'm not good...im just an ordinary player everybody can beat...

Here's an incident that happened this year, at the beginning of the year, the qualifying of MSSD to see who can get into MSSD !!! There's this guy who used to beat me in form 2, but he was not chosen...instead i was chosen to play doubles(cuz i lost in my singles qualifying)....this guy here(not to mention his name) msg me and said," why u can qualify and not me?" i told him back that i trained hard to get qualified, is that something wrong???

Until after MSSD, the day has come, he came to school and play during club meetings !!! He then ask for a challenge !!! I played with him 21 points match of 3 and i won straight sets....and that day only he knew the reason why he was not chosen...

well...eventhough im good in sch, im trying to achieve to another higher level, at least better than SOo Teck Siang !!!

Another incident where i joined this yuk chai open !!! My partner and i lost to a pair of state players !!! After the match, the opponent's manager came over and told me that my partner and i didnt think in the match, just go for the birdie thats all...and from that day i realised that it was true !!! In my school, all the players that play with us seldom us brains!!! Most of them only have power thats all, or maybe some lucky shots....so i compared this 2 situation and i learned something...

I hope my experiences here can help u all...(now u know my game)...i hope everybody can give different opinions to help me !! TQ:)

20. avidshuttler

avidshuttler Regular Member

student
    kiasu....

Ha ha ha....I also agree with Joanne about parents being too kiasu. :crying:

There was once I played in a tournament. Two of my friends were playing too and were accompanied by their mothers. The mothers were chitchatting and joking and laughing with each other.... that was before their children's match was up.

Once the match was over, both of them were cold as ice!! You see, their two children played against each other!!

Players be competitive with one another.... ok lah, i can understand.... but parents compettitve with parents? :confused: