Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Never know unless you try though, and sounds like you have plenty of immediate cash to try it out. Yes, the VT80 has most of its weight in the head. Makes good sense, as it's got a very slim shaft, probably the slimmest shaft of all rackets out there? It probably has 10g (or more) less weight in the shaft than the eg. MX80. This 10g has gone into the head I suppose, and those who can handle it (strength and technique) will be able to thunder down some lightning bolts hehe.

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

By the way, just noticed that you effectively said that the 3U MX80 is only 0.6g heavier than the 4U VT80. So it sounds like Victor 3U = Yonex 4U? Or maybe your eg. 4U VT80 is 84.9g and your 3U MX80 is 85.5g? If so, sounds like you got the two extremes of each weight.

Anyway, just a small word of advice. I wouldn't dwell on numbers too much. In my opinion, it doesn't make any significant difference. The most significant difference comes with skill. I'm pretty sure even professional players in the World's top 100 play with slight variation in their BP's and overall weights when they change rackets due to broken string etc.

If you enjoy one or two rackets in particular, stick with those ones and back yourself to technically improve with them.

#1222 ssj100, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  3. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Minus the overgrip, the 3U MX80 is only 1-2g or so heavier than my 4U VT80, so indeed, they are quite similar.

4. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

1-2g difference in overall weight is probably insignificant. If you happened to use slightly more grip or string at slightly different tensions (and therefore use slightly more or less string), this 1-2g difference could shift either way.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the VT80 - very enjoyable to play with, and certainly much easier to play with (especially in terms of manoeuvrability[FONT=&quot]) [/FONT]than the AT700 for me. If I want to play with a more balanced racket (but still slightly head heavy), I would switch to my Lethal 70 or Tantrum 300. To me, they are all equally great rackets in their own way.

5. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

the size of Yonex G4 is supposedly to be bigger than G5, isn't it? (just wanna make sure for what i had believed all this time)

6. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes that's correct.

7. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Yonex G4 is bigger than Yonex G5. But Victor has slightly different readings.

Yonex G4 = Victor G3
    Yonex G5 = Victor G2

8. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

Had a quick warm up session with VT80 CH. Initial impressions:

Power: no boom or crisp whack, may be due to sub standard strings, was strung low tension probably around 23lbs
    Control: good, frame feels stable and sturdy, can take high tensions
    Grip: G4 not to my liking as i prefer G5
    Finish: top notch like all other yonex, paint and grommets high quality
    Graphics: excellent, somehting like meteor x80?
    Stiffness: seems more flexible than my AR900T/P, may be even less stiff than my VIC BS11. too flexible for me.

9. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

Are you sure it's not fake? It's CH-coded en really flexible, that shouldn't be the case.

10. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

there may be a chance that's fake but from a quick inspection of the paint/grommets it doesn't seem fake. it has the laser engraving also.

11. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I suspect its the strings. Stiff racket + low'ish tension feels weird for me.

12. JasonJenn

JasonJenn Regular Member

Advocate and Solicitor

This is my 1st racquet review:

Just got my voltric 80 yesterday, 3U G4

String Yonex Nanogy 98 strung at 27lbs
    wanted to try with Yonex BG66Ultimax as recommended by some of u, however the seller (who play together with me) said that i will snap the string less than 1 month due to my strong smashes

so instead he recommended Yonex Nanogy 98 (1st time trying)

Standard of play:

advance-semi pro, played more easily more than 30+ tournaments since high school and club team friendly matches - and went into the semis and/or won more than 75% of them

Style

Primarily doubles, aggressive and good with placement of the shuttle, 80% of my kill shots come from my smashes and front follow through smash kills

Here's my initial review after playing 5 sets last night:

Good in term of clearance and lifting the shuttle to the baseline from net - certainty in terms of placement of shuttle to the baseline (rating 9)

smashes

- can i really hear the difference in the smash sounds and felt that my smashes are much more powerful
    - due to my power of my smashes, i could actually feel the shaft flex, which in turn, made my smashes much more steeper
    (rating 9)

backhand - crisp and certain that the ball will reach the baseline (9)

half smash- fast and accurate (9)

Drops - fastest drops shot i've ever produced (9)

drive - crisp, certain and fast (9)

Cons:-

not very agile with the backhand high clears defence and backhand drives - likely due to the longer shaft (7.5)

very tired after 3rd set - loss 50% of my smashing strength in the 5th game - in fact, i can barely smash at all by then (7.5)
    felt that the racquet was too heavy in my 5th game
    probable reasons:
    -i've been using head light racquets most of the time prior to this

Summary
    Clearly this racquet is meant for more advance players with focus in smashes,
    if you have the right skills and sufficient strength - the racquet will reward you
    If you are an average player - unlikely you will be able to take the full advantage of this racquet
    and definitely not for beginners

note:
    just came back from work - did not play my best game last night and was tired even before entering the court -played with only 75% of my true capabilities - will try again for another week and post a more conclusive review then

hope this helps =)

13. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

JasonJenn, that's a really good review. Very objective and informative, with excellent constructive criticism, unlike most reviews in BC (including my own!).

It's interesting that you found your smashing strength had gone by the 5th game. I'm a power player myself and generally try to smash whenever I can. Given you are at least advanced level, I'm pretty sure it just means that your conditioning isn't what it used to be? I think I got noticeably tired after about 2.5 hours with the 3UG5 VT80, and it wasn't really (just) my arm, more of an overall fatigue. Then again, as I said before, I rarely play more than 2 hours at a time.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure that with a bit more playing time, the VT80 is going to be a really enjoyable power-racket to use. I'm really pleased to have it alongside my Lethal 70 and Tantrum 300.

14. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

great review JasonJenn, way more informative than mine :)

i concur, the racquet is heavy but lighter than my AT900T

15. JasonJenn

JasonJenn Regular Member

Advocate and Solicitor
    thanks
    them team i played with last night consist of "Malaysia state player" and seasoned tournament level players. i assure you that their defence is top notch especially when we play with each other for years, we are able to read each other game play

so it is not easy to kill them off - image me jumping and smashing 5 -6 times in a row just to gain a point

switching to a head heavy racquet from head light racquet made it much difficult to sustain the strenght for sustain period of time

if you are already used to a head light or balance racquet this racquet may not be for you..

but tonight i'll be playing again.. will see whether it was me being too tired last night or just the racquet factor..

16. JasonJenn

JasonJenn Regular Member

Advocate and Solicitor
    just to add:

it was easy for me to smash in the 1st 2 games. felt no difference in terms of loss of power initially

but it seem to drain all my strenght by the 4th game by then i've can no longer smash any longer

if you are already used to a head light or balance racquet this racquet may not be for you..

but tonight i'll be playing again.. will see whether it was me being too tired last night or just the racquet factor..

forgot to add - since its a new racquet - mis-timed my jumping smashes and/or sent my smashes into the net about 6-7 times last night

clearly head heavy had affected my timing - seems that i swing much more faster and as a result miss the shuttle altogether (good news maybe?)

but i has a wide sweet spot and flex - hence with my mis-timed shot it’s still went back with sufficient power and an extra steepness

unable to fully utilize the racquet’s capabilities until I am much more familiar with it =)

17. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    even a semi-pro have problem with VT80
    so it is definitely not suitable for me

18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Another 2 hour session with the 3UG5 VT80, and really enjoying this racket. No problem with fatigue at all, perhaps because I wasn't going for the big smash every time I could. I was doing some very nice drops with it, probably better than with other rackets. When I went for the big smash, the pay off was generally excellent. Drives were again fast and solid. This racket is a keeper for me.

jump-smash, the VT80 has a "dry" Balance Point of around 305mm. If you can handle such a high Balance Point, then this racket will work really well. If you can't, then yes, it won't be suitable for you. I think this racket is probably one of the best (if not the best) of its spec range.

19. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

I've log in excess of 30 hours now with my VT 80 3uG4 (my 4u is head heavier) and I'm just loving it. Still, I think I need more court time to fully reassure myself that this is it;)! Until then, more practice. Need to test with different kinds of strings too. Haven't tried the new Zymaxes yet (not tried the Victor strings too), so I'm so looking forward to it.

I thought I'm pretty good with my defense already...henceforth, the additional power comes in handy when I need that extra leverage;). Normally, as we all know, smashes are returned anyways but when I started using VT80, I see lesser successful returns.

Normally, it's 85% returned. Now, when I set it up for a smash, it is a good 70% unreturned:cool:. Pretty good I think, at least imo.

20. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

So you're not using the 4U much?

By the way, I have an advanced level friend (about same level as me) who uses the 2U Z-Slash and he can defend really well with it. It feels even heavier than the 3U VT80.