best way to improve your game, not racket, nor your smash.....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jun 23, 2003.

1. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    HEllo everyone i want to share some new experiences as a "not so beginner player".

Having a nice feel touching the bird my weakness are mostly in footwork, this part of the badminton game must be learn by pro in a way.
    So i picked up some videos in p2p, wanted to check my fundamentals movement (racket included). The videos show me the more efficiency way to move in court.

I watched them carefully , do some sketch to understand the legs positions and the WEIGHT transfer. After a couple of hours of video Analise I decided to plan 2hours in full footstep action.
    I did this alone in a volleyball area out of town with racket armed and told you that I undestand the overall moves in 30min.
    (advantage to do this alone is to concentrate in your breath)

I just want to notice i'm a rollerblade player too so my legs coordination are quite good.

Sometime I mess or lose the tempo of moves (the stamina fault) so that why I slow acting the footsteps to correct analyze the miss.

I plan to do this again during a week (maybe two) just to be natural with the new moving method around the surface.

My recommendations its to go practice this out of club if you can **with good shoes because mine kills my foots**

The experience can sounds boring but if you do this seriously you will have great fun feeling the rules, thats remember me "taishi shuang"

2. nicholaslam

nicholaslam New Member

IT
    Footwork it is... I remember when I was 13 yrs old, I'm a member of badminton club of my school... all I want is to play badminton.
    But we were throw in to learn our footwork, 1,2,3, jump, 1,2,3, smash, 123, front, 1,2,3, back and so on... it was tiring...

At the end of the 2 hrs training, we only left 45 mins to play the game.
    Argh! But soon we realise footwork is so important and need to master it to win games.

Well said!

3. ichandray87

ichandray87 Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree. But I am a fairly tall player and my movement isnt very quick. Can you kindly give me some footwork drills and steps to keep me stable?

4. sshevchuk

sshevchuk New Member

Search on Google for video clips of badminton footwork. I saw excellent video by Peter Gade.

5. daboyz22

daboyz22 New Member

training DVD for badminton

Does anybody know where I can get a DVD that show the exercise that you need to do to improve your footwork and your techniques in playing badminton, Thanks

6. sshevchuk

sshevchuk New Member

Search badminton videos on Google for footwork. There is an excellent video instruction by Peter Gade and someone else. Sorry I don't have the link handy. Regards!

7. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
  8. Sze Huang

Sze Huang Regular Member

Unemployed
    That would be great ! :D

9. leonheart88

leonheart88 Regular Member

:)
    For me, Footwork can only be better through continuous training...
    of course, u must know the basic of it before practicing it.. the basic is important and there is no right or wrong in footwork... Once u have the basic, u can practice it around the court frequently and u will find yourselves lighter and lighter from day to day...
    I also think that gym only come in after u have mastered the footwork.. if u dont have a basic footwork and yet u focus too much on strength training, this will only find yourselves heavier and slower less flexible inside the court there..
    "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."
    Once u have mastered the proper footwork, make sure u do it at high tempo that is as fast as you can....
    For double, they require lot of jumping... So jumping footwork is very useful in doubles....which require u to squad a lot.... :) Any other suggestion?

10. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    Hmmm u can do frod jump??? or like do frog jump to jump in the stair case keep practicing the footwork & more of the basic shot it will helps alot...

11. naquadah

naquadah Regular Member

hi, i'm a self-trained intermediate player with no proper footwork, looking to raise my standard. i've read every post and i couldn't agree more that footwork is damn important, because i'm an engineering student with an analytical mind, and i know very well my footwork could do with more work, above everything else.

the above posts weren't properly replied to as i hoped, which is why i'm asking this to clarify. thanks in advance for helping.

see, in the 1st quote by KoiCal, he said that the right foot should be in front, but from melgyver's post it demonstrates that the left foot is in front (because it crosses the right foot from the front). so which is the proper way? i'm a righty by the way.

thanks again.

12. katz_2007

katz_2007 Regular Member

none
    I second the motion.

I agree to all of you...
    WHat I want you to answer is how to return the shuttle when the opponent give a long ball???

13. shaoyut

shaoyut Regular Member

your damn right

14. katz_2007

katz_2007 Regular Member

none
    so how's daT???anybody can answr pls.

15. 7slee0

7slee0 Regular Member

Workout for your body for footwork?

I can do all the work for quads calfs and butt strengths, but what i can't do is squats. they start hurting my thighs ALOT, do u know why? i "am" pretty fat -_-. :confused:

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Just practise. My thighs also hurt 'ALOT' after doing about 6 to 8 courts of squat jumps. It's all just a matter of practise and training really.

17. 7slee0

7slee0 Regular Member

Squats!!

6 TO 8 COURTS? THATS ALOT SERIOSULY i cant even do one court thats the problem.:crying:

18. thomaspang

thomaspang Regular Member

hi all ! let me give some advise ! maybe is was helpful. the best to play badminton to get well is 1st you need to win ur self . dont try to think win another ppl 1st . win your self is important then mean you are good in control your racket, skill,footwork and final is oxygen. when 1 person not enough oxygen then your playing will going down from 100% to 30% controlling ur self and always keep ur mind clear ,try dont push ur self when playing badminton and dont blame ur self why always cant do it better! you can do it one day! :) if me here is saying some stupid word please forgive me hehehehe! psps..................:D

#158 thomaspang, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  19. waiwai8

waiwai8 Regular Member

Policy & Research Coordinator
    Nothing is the most important single skill to master

footwork, shot placement, deception, anticipation, serves etc are equally important because you'll have to use all these skills when you play.

for example, if you can get to the shuttle in good time but reply with a weak and inaccurate shot (e.g. semi drop) and get passed or smashed hard it doesnt matter how good your footwork is you won't get to the next reply on time.

all skills are important as each other, different skills sets serves different purposes so it's pointless to compare. if it's about first things first then i think good all round fitness is a fundamental requirement before anything else.

#159 waiwai8, May 31, 2008
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  20. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    did you know that there are 2 kind of foot work? The first one is "floating" footwork and the other one is "stick to the grown foot work". By the analogy, it is like a sport car and commercial car, the sport car will have a better grip when in high speed on the other hand the commercial car will loose grip in high speed.