Liew Daren

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by TheSmasherKing, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Mach1nt0sh95

Mach1nt0sh95 Regular Member

Watching Daren play, i think he has improve a lot, especially with his backhand is now can be considered a little deadly, i really admire those crosscourt backhand of him. I think it bcoz taufik is the one he looks up to so that why he loves to backhand, also combining with his improving smash and lee chong wei tactic style of play, if he can keep up and develop those skills to higher, he can be totally nail the future of badminton.
    Viktor plays much better compare to when he was with lee chong wei bcoz lee was too fast and always 1 step ahead of the young dane.

2. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    "Liew Daren" sounds funny. Just call him Daren. I hate to see even Malaysians call him LD or LDR. How difficult to spell D-A-R-E-N?

Achieving his first SS at the age of 25 isn't easy. I hope this will be his breakthru year and there are more titles to come.

3. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    In pro and international arena, no matter how fun it is to use a cross court backhand, it is seldom use effectively. This is why it is only used intermittently. Daren still don't have the backhand lob power used by LCW in which you see no matter how back LCW is push to the backhand baseline, he just takes his time and lob back a high one with his backhand. He is not afraid of a smash coming back because he will be ready for it, as compared to shooting lob with a backhand used by Daren which is just too low. Hence, you see him using more of cross court backhand drop. To me besides Taufik, the only player who can safely say his backhand is as lethal as his forehand, is Xiong Guo Bao of china.

4. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    i agree... players tend to avoid using backhand and prefer to use over-head stroke (except in desperate situation)... he has a good backhand but not as good as TH... does he still feels the back-ache that prevent him to make frequent over-head stroke?

5. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    After he wins and does the summersault,you can see a huge phiten plaster on his back.

6. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

刘国伦 is his Chinese Name, pronounced as Liu Guo Lun.

I wish people do actually read the 2nd post of this whole thread, 很多资料都可以找得出。

Before he became MAS No.2, most Malaysian supporters who know of him after he got selected into 2009 SEA games individual as well as 2010 Asian Games team event referred to him as LDR, as so to not get confused with Lin Dan himself.

I have friends who have the same type of unorthodox Chinese naming, that's why I never got confused with Liew Daren's name order.

#386 undeadshot, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  7. Mach1nt0sh95

Mach1nt0sh95 Regular Member

Sorry for the missing, but what i meant is his backhand crosscourt drop. Anyway, he is improving is what malay needs for the future, someone is capable of replace lee chong wei.

8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Honda Fans

LDR = LD Type-R ?????

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

from NST

LIEW Daren has finally buried the question of whether he will ever win an international title at the French Open in Paris on Sunday.

The win over Viktor Axelsen of Denmark meant an end to Daren's long wait, after more than five years on the senior tour.
    It was a different Daren who played in Paris, as the 25-year-old -- who often succumbed to pressure in the past -- produced a game quite similar to Lee Chong Wei's style of play.

Neither did he shy away from giving credit to where it was due, attributing the sparring sessions with World No 1 Chong Wei -- which began after the London Olympics -- as a major reason for his victory.

Daren, however, does not regard himself as a successor to Chong Wei just yet.

He wants to focus on winning more titles and improve his world ranking before thinking about emulating his icon.
    "I have been asked about (ending my title wait) many times before, so yeah, it's great to have finally done it," said Daren when contracted in Paris on Sunday.

"I must thank Chong Wei for the sparring sessions. It has really helped me
    "The focus is now on me and the other elite shuttlers as the coaches are grooming us for the 2016 Olympics."

Daren played a tactical game against Axelsen to disorientate the Dane by drawing him to the net and unleashing cross-court smashes from the baseline to earn points. He won 21-18, 21-17 in a final marred by three bad line calls against him in the second game.

"I was really upset with the line calls. He scored four or five points in a row, and then I remembered that I was playing a final and I shouldn't let it go just for that," he said.
    The Kuala Lumpur-born, who recently achieved a career high world ranking of 24, defeated World No 9 Sho Sasaki of Japan and World No 11 Jan O Jorgensen of Denmark en route to the final.
    Although none of the top five ranked shuttlers were in Paris, Daren's achievement should not be written off as a fluke as he did beat several other established players for the title.

"I am an attacking player but unlike the past, where I did not use my asset wisely, I am now making the right decisions on court," he said.
    Daren will move from 24 to either 17 or 18 in the latest world rankings, due to be released on Thursday.

"Winning here is a good thing but I need to maintain this momentum in upcoming tournaments. I want to progress.
    "Yes, I have achieved my top-20 target before December and this is a good thing.

"However, I should not be compared to anyone just yet as I am still a long way off from being the best. I want to win tournaments and improve my ranking further," Daren added.

He continues his campaign in the China Open, a premier event, on Nov 13-18 and in the Hong Kong Open on Nov 20-25.

10. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    lets hope he can produce some brilliant performance at china and hong kong open... oso hope he can maintain his consistency

11. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    The nickname sounds very lethal.. :D

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

KUALA LUMPUR: Shuttler Liew Daren’s breakthrough win in the French Open has been like a breath of fresh air for a nation so heavily dependant on world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei for so long.
    It’s good to have someone other than Chong Wei winning international titles but national coach Tey Seu Bock prefers to temper his enthusiasm and excitement until Daren can prove that his win is not a flash in the pan.

Seu Bock hopes that the 25-year-old late bloomer will ride on his success and continue with his exploits at the last two Super Series events – in China (Nov 13-18) and Hong Kong Open (Nov 20-25).
    On Sunday, Daren completed a good week in Paris with a strong finish – beating Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen for the title.
    It was his first international title since joining the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) set-up nine years ago. Seu Bock is happy with Daren’s breakthrough but doesn’t want to make the mistake of going overboard in celebrating his victory – not yet, at least.
    “Daren has finally won ... and he deserves the plaudits. He must now work even harder and show that he is not a one-time wonder,” Seu Bock said before leaving home with the team yesterday.

“His next mission will be to continue with his positive attitude and winning ways at the China Open and Hong Kong Open.”
    The win in Paris is expected to catapult Daren, currently ranked 24th in the world, into the top 20 for the first time. Seu Bock is glad that the regular sparring with Chong Wei over the last two years has sparked off a revival of sorts for Daren.

“He has learnt to be more focused, like Chong Wei, in tournaments. I believe he has also learnt how to stay on top of his game during crucial stages – just like Chong Wei – and win points despite coming under tremendous pressure,” said Seu Bock. “Daren still has a lot to learn before he can be considered an established player.

“This is a small step and he must now learrn to maintain this level of play – and emulate the top players’ ability in maintaining consistency at the highest level.”

Chong Wei Feng too has shown a positive attitude in his game and, hopefully, will be able to overcome his lack of consistency so that Malaysia can count on its second echelon of players for honours.
    The attention will now shift to the men’s singles back-up players at the Bitburger Open Grand Prix Gold in Germany beginning tomorrow.
    Malaysia will be hoping that more young stars will step up. All eyes will be on reigning Pahang Open champion Misbun Ramdan Misbun, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin, Goh Soon Huat and last year’s world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkifli.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/10/30/sports/12242631&sec=sports

13. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Perhaps a bit too late for this, but... Congrats, Daren! :)

And now... Let the pressure shift from Datuk to him. :p

14. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Regular Member

LOL, bro~

刘国伦 lah.

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Wow, sudah jadi kaya la:D Became richer already...;)
    [h=1]Coaches to get perks for producing winners[/h]

[​IMG] All smiles: Lee Chong Wei received a bonus of RM25,000 under the BAM incentive scheme after winning the Denmark Open.
    KUALA LUMPUR: National badminton coaches may get extra perks if they produce winners in the future.
    Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) general manager Kenny Goh said this is one of the special incentive schemes in the pipeline.
    Under the current structure, only players get additional cash for winning titles under the BAM’s incentive scheme.
    For instance, world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei took home US$30,000 in prize money after winning the Denmark Open last week while national Elite player Liew Daren cashed in his biggest pay cheque of US$15,000 for winning the French Open on Sunday.
    Under the BAM’s incentive scheme, every winner of the Super Series and Super Series Premier tournaments is given RM25,000.
    That means Chong Weiand the in-form Daren will get an additional RM25,000 for winning in Denmark and France respectively.
    Kenny said that they have been toying with the idea of rewarding the coaches as “it will keep them on their toes and be an added motivation for them to push the players into achieving excellence”.
    “Our coaching and training chairman, Ng Chin Chai, introduced a bonus scheme for the coaches for the first time last year.
    “We have also been mulling about rewarding coaches for producing winners.
    “I have checked with other badminton nations and some of them, like South Korea and Indonesia, have such a system,” said Kenny.
    “We must look into how we want to reward these coaches and the percentage to be given as cash incentives. It will be good to get some ideas from our future national coaching director on this matter.”
    BAM have not announced the name of the national coaching director but South Korean Park Joo-bong is the likely candidate.
    Joo-bong is currently a coach with the Japan BA and is set to decide on his future after a meeting with his employers in the next few days.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/10/30/sports/12242864&sec=sports

16. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Regular Member

I used to have a class mate name Choi Dickson 蔡迪胜。That was like 20 years ago hehhee.

17. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

One thing I wondered, should Rashid get some credit upon this celebration? Or he just plain don't deserves it?

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if he ran away from responsibility when player under perform
    insist that its up to player themself to achieve result while coach only can contribute little?
    how can he get credit for this victory?

if u dont want to pay when the company lost money
    u expect to get profit when company gain money?

wonderful thinking.

19. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    will smith " if you are absent during my struggle, don't expect to be present during my success"

20. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Keep them on their toes? More like keep them in line and shut their mouth... Instead of money maybe give them more respect as a professional coaches, let say more freedom in decision making?

But what am I saying?? Money is nice too :D