Prestretching The Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Smashis, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

How exactly do you do this? Does the stringer do it or can you do it yourself at home? Can someone give a description of the process? LOL is it just pulling on the strings?

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yes, basically:). Racket string has both plastic and elastic properties, the plastic ones being dominant at first. I wrap my strings around a 2 inch steel post in our kitchen and lean back slightly. The string stretches easily at first, like strip of plastic, and then becomes more springy (which is what you want).

I always pre-stretch strings myself, not least because it gets the coil memory out, but I don't know if all stringers do it as a matter of course. If not, they should.

3. arcaloveher

arcaloveher Regular Member

Engineer
    Now i know what prestreching is :)

4. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

I would really appreciate a picture if possible of your method.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Your wish is my command:D.

You'll just have to imagine it's a full/half set of string. I normally two piece these days, as I used to end up in the back garden when I prestretched all 10 metres.

The towel is to stop the string rubbing on the post (which is machined pretty smooth anyway, but better safe than sorry).

Attached Files:

#5 Mark A, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    so pre-stretching the string minimises tension loss?

7. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

This seems pretty effective, but i don't think the string tied around the racket gets stretched does it?

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You're right - it doesn't. However, only about six inches of each half is wrapped around the handle (which the pic doesn't make clear), and this will be used for tying knots, so there's no need for it to be stretched as such:).

In my experience, yes, it does. I have an electronic scale for calibrating my machine and I used it to test creep on fresh and pre-stretched string: the pre-stretched stuff held tension MUCH better than fresh.

9. chowzer

chowzer Regular Member

i completely agree.

you can alway just do the samething around your doorknob or something

basically...just tug on the string until it won't coil back up

i think this also helps with the actual stringing process. i find that doing this, the strings wont' tangle/twist when i'm tensioning it saving me time and increasing the durability of the string

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    So how much weight should you put on the string when prestretching? 5kg? 10kg?

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There's no need to be that precise - just go by feel. When you first pull the string you will feel it stretch very easily at first and then become more resilient. Pull repeatedly, leaning back slightly (and I do mean slightly:)) to hold the string in the "elastic zone" until the string won't stretch any more. When the string lies straight (like an electrical flex) instead of "coily", you know you're there.

The more sophisticated electronic machines offer a percentage pre-stretch option, pulling 10% over, for example, before relaxing. If you do intend to pre-stretch at a known tension, just be sure to use at least the same tension as you'll be using in the racket.

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I really need to look at the textile stretching machines. There are two sets of rollers. One set spins slower than the other one; hence, a stretching force is induced into the string.