Lee Chong Wei - fastest recorded smash?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by exalted, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    More less that your post was meant for those who prefer to see and believe in what they "like" to believe in.

There isn't a smashing contest in badminton, so if one player can't prove it in actual game play then he/she is NOT the one to be recognized as the strongest smasher in the world. Nobody's assumption (including yours) will be taken into account in the record book.:rolleyes:

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

what i'm keen to find out is, what's the fastest recorded backhand smash?
    and who performed it?

taufik, taufik ....

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    If I'm not mistaken, what's recorded is the speed at which the shuttle leaves the racquet face... and not its mid-flight or interim velocity.

So, where the smasher was matters little in this debate ;)

4. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Common oldhand, if u smash up to the air and u smash down to the ground which one is faster and which one need more effort,it all about angle and velocity,gravity & position as well. And the position that determine how acute is the angle of the smash need to be apply.

You cannot apply the same angle of the half court smash just like a baseline smash.I believe from your experiences, you wont apply the same angle from differences position to ensure the birdie didn't stuck at the net and land to the right destination.So you mention, where the smasher was matters little in this debate ???

In my entire life of playing badminton,I don't have a smash from baseline which is faster than my half court smash.Why ??? everybody knows the answer.So the position do matter alot.

Is your baseline smash is faster than your half court smash oldhand ???

#44 Temasek Green, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  5. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Of course the backhand smash speed belongs to Taufik... simply because they never ever recorded anyone else's backhand smash(not that many players have done it in game play).

Chen Hong used to have a very powerful and accurate backhand smash as well, just never ever been measured for its speed.:crying:

6. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    You are exactly right in that position does matter... but like I mentioned before, since there isn't a smashing contest in badminton; what if everyone claims to have a more powerful smash than everybody else if they are given the best position for the smash? Then we will never be able to come to a conclusion.

Eg. If you say Taufik can hit a 305km/hr from the baseline while moving back means he can smash harder than Fu whom did a 324km/hr while moving left and right??? How are we going to prove that?:confused:

Lin Dan can also claim that he's got the hardest smash consider he also did a 300km/hr around the head smash in his WC 06 final against Bao... He can also say something like "just let me stand still and smash, I bet I can hit harder than you..."

Bottom line is unless you can prove it, it is not true.

7. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

That's the point. I believe FHF in training should be able to beat his own record.

And anyway those "records" are just for adding some flavor to the sport, so that ppl have more stuff to talk about. They really don't mean anything.

#47 ye333, Feb 5, 2008
  8. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think LD and FHF share the property that they can deliver "near-top speed smashes" even when they are moved around and not in good position. It's not the "top speed" of their smashes that makes them lethal.

Also LCW seldom do a full power smash in a game, he usually adds a lot of slicing.

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Okay cause we're talking about speed, angle means nothing. If we're talkign about how fast your smash will hit the floor, then angle counts.

10. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    why does everyone have so much hate on China?..just cuz other countries can't beat the speed they whine and cry about it

FHF is the RECORD HOLDER..im sorry if that dissapoints ppl..but from a China fan..o0o0o0o yeaaa babi~...I even have the yonex shirt which recognizes FHF's WORLD RECORD smash

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

You're sounding a little bit arrogant there :p
    Anyway, the obvious reason for China's success is its population and also their dedication towards serving/representing the country.
    Lol, one day, yes, one day, FHF's record will be broken. Maybe by FHF again :p

12. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

The thread is just discussing about the smashing speed, its nothing to do with "hating" china. Plz dont be so sensitive.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I tend to agree with Oldhand on this. First we must understand how is the speed recorded? If it records just the few milliseconds off the "starting block" then it doesn't matter even if the speed of the shuttle is the slowest in the world at the end of its travel. We are talking about the fastest recorded speed, not about the reaction time the opponent has. The world's fastest smash from way behind the backline is no match for a simple smash in front of the net by a 10 year old girl, who may smash with half the recorded speed of the world's fastest smash.
    A more meaningful way of recording the speed of a smash would be to measure the speed from the time the shuttle leaves the racquet to the time the opponent returns it or to a place where it landed if the opponent could not reach it. This way, it would be called the fastest recorded effective smash.

14. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Hmmm...i've seen backhand smashes from CH..n it's nothing like TH's.CH's one of the pros who uses backhand smashes..but really,incomparable to TH.U can never hear "whipppp..." from CH's backhand smash,but u can always hear that coming from TH's.Also,The only team which has players who r good in backhands,r the indo team.U can name them..kido,chandra,limpele,nova,etc..although nothing like TH,but still they can do it better than the other teams.

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

I wish you'd digested my post before jumping off the deep end.
    To repeat: what's recorded when rating a smash's speed is the shuttle's initial velocity.
    I neither offered nor challenged any views on the ideal smash position.

There you have it :)

16. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Can u see this coming from any other players,include CH??
    He recorded a 260kmh for his backhand smash,while playing against CH,during the 2006WC..Too bad youtube didn't upload the moment.:(

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=7iUjI58OJnE
    http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=ualwAwHjopU
    http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=E04SsX9EXts
    http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhhgxVgA5E
    http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=ahd5smCyaaw

CH usually only do crosscourt backhand smash.Well,so that u'd know,straight back hand smash is harder than crosscourt,but u know what,he also can do CH's style..cross court..;)
    http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=CzZKq17ydJI&feature=related
    http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2oKxZf00c
    http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=0tU7eT0O7M0&NR=1

After seeing this,would u still believe if anyone said any other current pro players can do it better than taufik??I don't think so..Whether u like it or not,he's the best in backhand..n he can do it in any intense games,..n he has done it many many times before,unlike many others,who only do it during practices.:cool::rolleyes:

I never realized it,but he hold both MS forehand smash record n backhand smash record..that's sick..:eek:

#56 Smichz, Feb 5, 2008
  17. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

TH's backhand smash is scary.. because it suddenly comes out of nowhere and destroys the opponent :O

18. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Agree here. TH's backhand smash seems to be much more powerful than anyone else's. And he seems to be the only one among current players who can release powerful backhand smashes even when he is fully stretched. I have seen Xiong Guobao did some similarly amazing backhand smashes, but even his do not have the "whippp" feeling.

In short, Taufik is the only one who can deliver a backhand "forehand smash", if you know what I mean. ;)

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Well, Well!

Er, Taufik Hidayat is not the subject of this thread ;)

20. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    hahaha gd one..wut a burn..went from LCW --> FHF --> TH..lol