Rules, I would like to see changed...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by nprince, Sep 2, 2009.

1. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    I am a big fan of badminton and though not regular, I have been playing for the last 15 years. I thought changing a few rules will make the game more interesting.

1. Serve below waste-Well know body knows where exactly one's waste is & how do you expect a judge to call correctly? I really get confused when LYD serves...To me, it looks like he is serving on chest height.
    2. The receiver should not move till the shuttle leaves the server-What if you allow the receiver to be more aggressive and move whenever he likes? That may make the game more interesting. If the receiver moves too early, server can change his serve & catch him on the wrong foot?
    3. The rally scoring system of 21 points.-I think, at least for the finals,, this should be changed, other wise the game is too short. Compare with a Federer Rodic match which is a feast for the eyes for more than 5 hours to a LD V/S LCW which do not last even 35 minutes?
    Well there are a few more... Let me leave it to you guys...
    Thanks
    Prince

2. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    #1 and #3 i agree.

1) looks like some do serve near chest level.

2) i think it's your choice if you want to move around while receiving. it's your point, your game.

3) i like the other scoring system, don't know the name, where you play for offense, up to 21 not 15. best 3/5 would be better i think. one or the other. 2/3 is too short for rally games.

3. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    1. I heard the ruled change it to the lowest rib bone. But truely LYD serves are just too high, the judges afraid of calling them because they dont' want to get embarrased. Other games are fine and all suddenly until the right judge that has enough balls to call every single serve from LYD? yea that's gonna make the judge feel and look awkward.

2. should not be changed, because serving from waist line is difficult, and you're concentrate on the net and all suddenly right about you gonna hit the bird, the opponent makes a move, that MIGHT effect your serve.

3. I like the old system, give us more chance to cover the mistake. Sometime you don't feel well or osmething in your mind is just disturbed you right in the middle of the game. It takes a little bit of time to get rid of that, So old system should be a good type of game for you to come back.

this is not a rule, but every tournament, at least final game should have a high speed camera to catch all the shot that can be in or out and replay whenever players want to recall. However for time consuming if players lost the recall will be lost one point or something. And there should be limit to the recall per game.

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Some ideas fro rule changes...

* best of 7 sets to 7 , only score in own service..2 minute breaks between sets, toweling, water always allowed between points (max 1 minute)..
    (must always win with 2 points, no limit on prestigious events)

* A fixed height for serving.. for example shuttle have to be struck not higer than x cm from floor.. This would make it easer to judge (just a view of how high the shuttle is when serve is hit) , and will also be more fair against players with different height!! I think small players have an unfair dissadvantage today!!

* In WC, OG, SS I think the players should be given a new shuttle between each point.

* Mandatory replay cameras for bigger tournaments placed at views of lines for players to challenge line calls (low cost version of hawk-eye). also mandatyr camera along net for challnge of netkills/over the net strokes..

My ideas..

/Twobeer

5. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Shorter players do have a disadvantage with the current serves at waist height. But why is it unfair? Taller player can smash at a steeper angle and reach higher shots, is that also unfair?

A static height is not easier to judge if you don't have a reference to compare to. In another thread on service discussion, there was a suggestion to have the lowest rib height marked on a player's shirt. While there's still some problems, that seems like a better solution.

6. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    The <1-hour match would be ~2 hours or more with this system. :)

7. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    NO WAY, this will make it like 5x7 scoring system that IBF tried out in the past. It was a flop and no body liked it.

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Of course taller player have soem advantages in reach.. But a Shorter player can compensate if he can jump higher, for example.. The whole dhhea behind the service rule is to not allow the serve to be flat/downwards :).. In theory a "freak" 3m tall and abnormal high waist, could kill every serve, and still be legal :)
    I just don't see a point why any rule should be relative to the player length.. that would be like adjusting size of the court based on the legnth as well..

I think a reference is easier to set up at a fixed height (and the "waist" , "ribs" are quite hard to see beneath all clothing :) )

It is quite easy to have fixed markings beside the court to help the service judge, if a fixed hheight is used. And it would not be possible to "cheat"..

/Twobeer

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The main problem players had with 5x7 if i remember correct was that it was to SHORT...

/Twobeer

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think 2h (or longer) matches would be great for badminton!!

The tricky part is to be able to make it reasonable stamina wise, with breaks etc so the game not only becomes a cardio competion...

/Twobeer

11. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I'm not sure having a longer match would necessarily make badminton better to watch. Over time players get tired and their intensity falls off. I quite like watching players play at full speed for a short time.

Then again I've never seen a high skill level match last over 1 hour to know if the intensity would drop or not. The quality of shots falls of a cliff after a certain time in amateur matches (from experience!). Although playing for ages is good practise for shot placement and general fitness.

On the fixed height issue, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be for taller players to serve say at there legs while others serve at their head height (exaggerated slightly). This is one thing currently in favour of the current service rule, it's comfortable.

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Me too :) .. But if you think about it sometimes it becomes a bit silly when player eithr try to get breaks, by walking around, tying shoes, toweling out, checking shuttles and so on.. and also it is a bit silly NOT to let players check grip, towel when sweaty etc..
    So at least for me it would make more sense to actually allow minor breaks and also to better make it possible to have short ads for commercial resons i games..

I agree with the last point ,but I dont think it would be a major problem.. Overall I could see more plusses than minuses for that rule of serving..

/T

13. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

Good point, but...
    watch World Championships 2005 between Peter Gade and Lin Dan
    watch All England 2004 between Peter Gade and Lin Dan

not only was it a competition between fitness but also... mentally i think.. because a match that long... someone has to have gotten impatient.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Abt the fixed height for service issue..

..twobeer, if you propose a certain reference or a fixed height issue for serving, what height would you suggest? 1 meter? 1.5 meters?
    What Sevex mentioned makes sense.
    If you suggest that a "freak" 3 meters player would have the advantage by having to serve at their waist level and kill every serve, imagine if the fixed height to serve is 1.5 meter high? What if a player is short enough (say Markis Kido height), or even shorter, s/he would have the advantage by having a flatter serve. Wouldn't this be in contradiction to your notion that "a service rule is to not allow the serve to be flat/downwards"??..
    And if a player is tall enough (say a Jens Eriksen height), or even taller, s/he would probably be giving lollipops to a much shorter player.

The thing is, we've never seen a "freak" 3 meters high player playing baddy. And if we were to set a specific fixed height for service, how or on which 2 (different height) players do we base it on??
    And, overall, if you could see more pluses than minuses, mind explaining them to us?

#14 ctjcad, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  15. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    I think ctjcad kind of misunderstand what is fixed height for serving mean.
    I do agree with the idea of fixed height serve
    Let's say the fix height is suppose to be under the net's tape about 1 foot and below only. anything that goes above that height is fault. And i'm pretty sure no one waist line is even high AS 4 feet (talking about badminton people i've seen so far)
    And I do not see anything that is UNcomfortable about hitting the bird up 1 feet high and drop back down. If and only if I have to hit it from my lap height... well I think it still comfortable around there. I would say my knee height.

one way to let the player know where they're serve suppose to be is a little simple, draw a line across the net.
    And well make up practice where is their limit of the fix height and shooo suck it up, I'm pretty sure after long time of practicing you'll able to know where it's gonna be without the mark on the net.
    And also the mark on the net is the services judge guide to make the call.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

There is no confusion or misunderstanding..

...only lack of clarity on twobeer's suggestion. I know what he meant, but needed more specific answer(s). Can he give us the proposed "x" cm from the floor??
    Please re-read my post.:cool:

17. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    Rule that allow players to take break more is kind of out of the question. One, that'll make game too long. Two, most of them will abuse the rule.

best 7 set in 7 points is just too short. From what I think

Umm... Players should get new bird for every point? (from twobeer) that's just too much, wasting. I would say ALLOWED not SHOULD. However, if the umpire think the players is playing game then he/she should check the bird and make the decision either change it or not.

18. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    I'm sorry to ctjcad.
    However, you did some what confused me from what you're exaggeration.
    1st, I'll guess this one first because I don't know about height in meter. But 1.5 meter I would say higher than the net.
    True short people will do over hand or drive? serve?
    But isn't tall people still able to do... Well let's say 1.5 meter is around chess height of tall player, they'll still able to hit downward motion as long as 1.5 meter is above the net. don't you think?
    So that's why you lost me. If 1.5 meter is higher than the net it is still going to be downward hit, why would it be change if it's tall or short player. you can always try it, pick any height from the ground and hit downward motion, I'm pretty sure other will able to do the same even if s/he is shorter or taller than you are.

So please again accept my apology.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Is 1.5 meters higher than the net??..^^

..for your info:
    - Standard badminton net height is 1.55 meters. About 5.08530183 feet. Let's call it 5 feet high.
    - 1.5 meters = 4.9xxx feet (59.05511808 inches). Almost the same height as the net.
    - 1.5 meters is less than standard badminton net height.
    - There are pro players roughly abt the same height as, or a few inches taller than the net.

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I am sorry if I lack clarity :) Not always easy with second languages and all .-) .. Anyway I think gamepurpose sums up pretty well my idea.
    I have never tried this idea of a rule, so I cant really say it would work great, but If the height is set high enough to be comfortable for most players (most players seem to preffer to serve quite high, if allowed to :-D ) but low enough to still keep the balance for receiver advantage vs server ...

the plusses and minuses I was most thinking about would ba

PLUS
    - Easier to judge
    - same server advantage/dissadvantage regardless of physique, woman/man...
    - easier for audince, tv-public to spot serving errors..

MINUS
    - maybe unconfortable? habits? some adjustment of serve for pros?!?
    - unkonowns?!?

Cheers,
    Twobeer