The ultimate all rounder racket for doubles?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by SSSSNT, Sep 24, 2012.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

You know what, I'm pretty sure I used Carbonex 20 a long long time ago! Back then nobody really paid attention to what racket it is as long as it's Yonex. You just go to the store and pick up the rackets one by one until one feels right and within budget. :p

Theoretically though it doesn't make sense to buy Carbonex 20 now so I can't justify it.

I agree. Too bad it's effin pink. :(

#41 SSSSNT, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Hahahaa ... you sound just like my junior club players here, they also shared the exact same thoughts and theories like you ...... exception being that each time we play, half-way through the session (when they have tired out a bit), they will come and ask to borrow my Cab 20 to "swing-swing a bit" whenever I am resting !! :rolleyes:

I am always happy to oblige and indulge them with the caveat IF they break it, they buy me a NEW CAB 20:D !!

BTW, do give Victor Bravesword 11 a good look, it really plays well for both singles and doubles. Reason why I don't own one is because I prefer Carbonex - all things being equal. Should one day, there are no more new replacement Cab 20 on Earth, I will switch over to BS11.

#42 maxout, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  3. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Last point that I want to say here is to look for a racquet that suits your style of play and that you play BEST with it ... don't get sucked in by the manufacturer's marketing hype ... once you get the "right combination" of racquet, string and tension ... stick with it for as long as you can and then focus on improving your techniques until you reach the next level ....

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Based on what theory doesn't it make sense????????????????????????

I used to use the cab20 in the beginning of my foray into carbon graphite racquets. As what happens, it got swopped around for various different racquets over a number of years.

Slim 10 came and went, Isometric came and went and I went back to a carbonex 22 (quite stiff racquet). One day an old guy asked me to try carbonex 20 agian. I was a bit reluctant - it was already an old model and I had used it before. Anyway, the guy was quite persistent in me trying it out. No harm to try right? Hmm, felt quite OK. Try out for longer - hey, feels comfortable. Ask around a bit and it seemed a lot of ex-international players give it an endorsment. I buy a couple of second hand ones to use and train with. It becomes even more comfortable so I started using it regularly.

Watch TV and I see the racquet being used to win the Olympic final, WC semifinal and WC final in the years 2000 to 2003. That's nearly twenty years after it first came out! I am still using it now. :D

5. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

He said he doesn't want pink, although otherwise I would agree.

I would take out any Super Waves as they're a bit slow. I'm sure there will be a bunch of you who say that you have no problem using a Super Waves for doubles and sure it's doable, I used a SW35 for a time too. But relatively speaking, they're slower. Besides the SW35 is quite stiff.

AT900 is stiff compared to most on the list too, so I would take that out. I personally would take the Arc10 out, but that's just my preference.

Then you can decide between head heavy, even balance, and head light and take out a large portion of the list, with only two or three to choose from in each category. At that point you can just choose based on price, availability, and most importantly testing them out! Much easier to test 3 rackets out than 10+!

6. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    The longer this thread goes, the more suggestion you will get... they have been making a point here, aren't they???

7. puvenisvaran

puvenisvaran New Member

Marketing executive
    i play doubles also and i want to buy racquet and i want to buy either prince or carlton and i know yonex is good but want to try something new and i am a hard hitter and some times i play as defender but mostly hitter and i am staying at malaysia and give me a good suggestion and that is selling malaysia and i want to buy this week..

8. puvenisvaran

puvenisvaran New Member

Marketing executive
    recommendation / comparison to buy good racquet

i play doubles also and i want to buy racquet and i want to buy either prince or carlton and i know yonex is good but want to try something new and i am a hard hitter and some times i play as defender but mostly hitter and i am staying at malaysia and give me a good suggestion and that is selling malaysia and i want to buy this week..

9. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

There was a mention about Carlton Vapour Trail Tour somewhere up this thread. Since you have a specific brand preference, you could consider that.

10. puvenisvaran

puvenisvaran New Member

Marketing executive
    how if i want to buy carlton kinesis? vapour is good or kinesis is good for doubles?

11. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

you won't know just based on seeing the forum and say, ''kinesis is better!'', you'll have to try it yourself on your hand and feel the chemistry between you and the racket, anyway, where are you planing to buy it? do post the address, VT caught up my attention :p

12. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

I think 4u and 3u headlight too light for all round use for most people, best with slightly head heavy 3u just like my NS100.

13. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i recently bought a kinesis, a razor, and the vapour trail tour. i would say for doubles it's a tie between kinesis and razor. the vapour trail tour feels more like an arc10, a bit sluggish. i got the head heavy razor and it felt like an AT900T, and the kinesis felt a bit head light like the ns9900 but with a tad bit more weight overall!

the razor felt a bit hollow, but different type of hollow compared to the SW35. the kinesis is totally solid, it just felt really really solid for such a thin frame. i love them both!!!

14. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Slightly confused by this quote when compared to my own experience. If you find the Razor like an AT900T then doesn't that make it reasonably head heavy? The ARC10 is head light in comparison with the AT900T (or at least it always has when I have played with friends rackets) so should feel quicker (not taking into account exotic frame shapes). The VT tour has a similar weight to the 3U yonex rackets so that doesn't account for the difference either.

When I tried the VT tour it felt a bit less head heavy than the ARC10 and lighter too, although that could be racket variation. It felt similar in weight to a 4U AT900P (never tried the T in a game) but less heady heavy and felt quite light when I swung it.

15. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Thanks for all the helps in analyzing this. After many deliberations, I have decided to go with either Bravesword 11 or Bravesword 12. I feel Victor will be a nice change from the usual Yonex racket all things being equal.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? Is BS11 simply a stiffer BS12? Is the 3U or 4U version better for doubles?

16. BlueTornado

BS11 is stiffer and head heavier. BS12 is medium in terms of stiffness, and even balanced. I think mine was around BP292 and was on the high side; they're normally around BP287-290. Unless you arms are like noodles (as in you have absolutely no muscle whatsoever), 3U is perfectly fast for doubles and will give you more power than 4U. Even in 3U, Braveswords are probably some of the fastest rackets out there.

17. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Go and check the Victor website, they are pretty good and informative about their range and also list down the players that use the racquets. If I am not mistaken Lee Hyun il (singles) and a couple of doubles players also used BS11.

I will go for BS11 for a more balance racquet in terms of head-heavy and stiffness. Go and check, I cannot remember off hand as I am now too distressed after breaking my Cab20 last night !!! :(

18. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

For the sake of keeping with the topic, if there's only these two rackets in the world, which one in your opinion would be the ultimate all rounder for doubles?

Oh no, what happened? Sorry for your lost.

19. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

That's quite bad. Was it because of a clash? I'm surprised because I've heard how robust Cab's are. :confused:

20. BlueTornado

Out of those two, I personally prefer the BS11, but I'd have to say the 12. It's more even balanced so it'll be more maneuverable for doubles. Softer shaft is easier to use while still providing decent power. I think almost anyone who has used it will agree that the BS12 is one of the most easily accessible rackets, yet has plenty of room to 'expand' for more advanced players.