Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    tkchai: who are you?

2. TKChai

TKChai Regular Member

Student
    Friend of Jamie, he was in my team before he went to uni, I was just browsing around and was surprised to see a link with him playing.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

XD match from Saturday's club championships in my smaller club. First match of the day in a hot gym with 5-10 min warm-up resulted in quite a few errors and a very frustrating score - 18-21, 21-23, I think. My usually accurate drop shots and blocks weren't accurate at all, forcing me to play the shuttle elsewhere as the other team's lady was quick onto the net.
    Second game is being converted atm. I'm the guy in yellow, btw :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOkeh-cF7Ag

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    your partner is Chinese?

I think, it is good, maybe you should try to find a way to smash them. especially to the other team's lady
    the lady is pretty tall, that's why it gives her advantage when reaching some hard shots that you deliver

maybe it's just your bad luck that day :)

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

A few quick points, I have only watched bits of it so will give a fuller comment later.:)

@4:40, you flick serve the woman, at this point, and at this level, you should feel confident enough to take a couple of steps up the court to the service line, at least, ready to pounce on what quite evidently will be a loose back hand drop.

Other things to mention:

Your opponents are playing with forhand short serves, in doubles this isn't as effective (IMO) as a backhand low serve, mainly due to the lack of control available, and the lack of deceptiveness. If you play regularly against forehand servers, then maybe take a step up the court, be more intimidating, put more pressure on your opponent to make their serve a good one, and not one that allows them to get the rally underway without any pressure. If they flick serve you, it's more readible than a backhand serve.

So basically, when flick serving, especially when playing against the standard here, if they are forced to turn their back to the net, then you should take a step forward, racket up, and prepare to attack the return. If for some reason your opponent is able to play a back hand clear, then you should still have enough time to get back and cover it. And anyway even if you were to lose that one point, you would still learn some more information about your opponents ability which can help later on in the match.

Hope this helps, if you need clarification, just ask.:) I will comment more later.

About your partner, maybe get her to serve a bit higher up towards the waist more, she seems abit far down, if you know what I mean. It puts you at a disadvantage, there is more net now to cover, and hence more room for error.

Also, you might want to get her to follow the shuttle a bit more, if you play a drop shot, you want her to move towards the net, putting pressure on your opponent to lift and not to play a net. Therefore, you will still be on the attack. The tighter the shuttle is to the net, the further in your partner should be to the net, ready to pounce if your opponent is daft enough to return with a netshot.:)

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I normally step up when my opponents turn for a backhand, but in XD, I'm somewhat hesitant to go to the net, it seems. Now that you mention it, I never really committed once on that day - mainly because we lost so many points when she went back.
    Concerning my partner - we had played one match ever before this one (the day before), against a pretty weak MD. She had not trained for 2 months, I think, and got a whole lot better during the day, chasing the shuttle a lot better and killing more net shots. Which was a good thing, cause I had a full 2 hours of sleep the night before and got tired in the 6th and 7th match.
    Regrettably, my batteries died not long after this one, forgot to charge the camera :/ This is the only good XD footage of me (the 2nd game is uploading), I filmed part of a later match, but the only other good one was later, when I couldn't film. I'll edit and upload the MD footage soon.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Actually, she's from Korea...but yeah, I found it a bit hard to penetrate their defense, and couldn't change the pace as much as I wanted to. Normally, I throw in quite a lot of slice drops, but I made too many errors and lost confidence in my touch shots :/

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think one of the main things you can work on, would be your shot selection.

One thing I had noticed is that, when returning serves there were quite a few unforced errors, where you were under little pressure. If it is towards the end of the game, and you make these errors, then you are at the end of the day, giving your opponents free points. It's something that you could probably work on. In doubles, the first three shots are most important, if you return well, then you give yourself a good chance of winning the point, if you return out the court, then you give the opponent a point, literally for them serving into the court.

I think your game from the back of the court is good, you hve the right idea of trying to push/drive the shuttle as opposed to just lifting. Maybe you could be a bit more aggresive, although at the moment, it's not a key issue that needs addressing.

Decisiveness is key, especially in doubles. You need to make up your mind with what you are doing quickly, sometimes it's clear that when you return serve you get caught in two minds about what to do with it, which leads to the unforced error. If you are quick enough with your reactions, being a quick thinker on the court can lead you to intercepting the shuttle, and turning the rally in your favour.

You might want to consider doing some serve and return drills:

Get a partner to serve a variety of different services, mixing it up. Throw in some flicks as well, although it doesn't put you under a lot of pressure, It should help your shot selection, and your ability to pick out the correct return to play. Of course tour partner will gain from it as well. They will be able to practice serving when their opponent is near the service line, helping them serve under pressure. You can switch around of course.:)

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

10. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    you played much better in the second round
    you did some smashes to opponent lady partner and she had a hard time to return it
    but of course the main problem is, it is hard to get a chance to do a smash

P.S: what racket did you use? is that a Z-slash?

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, surprisingly I like that racket a lot now. Pretty quick, but not too little head weight. The string is hard enough now, with softer string it just feels kinda weird. Smashes were not too shabby with it, despite the higher tension :)

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

2nd MD match of Sunday - slightly tired already, after 7 XD, 5 Ms and 1 MD matches since Saturday. Opponents were a scratch pairing and didn't work well together (which, being the nice people we are, we exploited as much as possible :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL0qGaqk2ZQ

13. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    :D
    I like what you said :p

they are definitely amateur in MD
    no coordination at all

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That's not entirely true, but the smaller guy is less of a doubles player (and 60 years of age), and they never ever play together usually. They only did this time because they both wanted to play a few more matches and none had a different partner. Knowing that, my partner and I made sure to play lots of shots to the middle. They're also a left-right combination, which means both have their fore-/backhand in the middle, which confused them even more on some occasions.
    Constantly putting them under pressure put off the tall guy, he likes being in control of the match and going to the front using his reach pretty well - unfortunately for him, I enjoy that too :D
    Youtube is being a b*tch - I'm currently uploading the next match for the third time as the upload gets aborted every time for no apparent reason (size and length are both okay, as is my connection). In the meantime, here's the second game of the 2nd match.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZOtvBLlCNU

15. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I just finished watching your XD game and I really like your forehand deceptions! You tricked out the opposing female quite a few times with that move, props to you there. It must be a pretty regular part of your game.

Anyways, I think as you said your drops weren't as tight as they could be, but I think the really big determining factor was that your opponents female player was more aggressive with her net play and I think that made all the difference. I noticed that your partner didn't make as threatening shots and often played very defensively. I think often when she was at the net she pushed or lifted too often as opposed to making a tight net shot to give you the opportunity for an attack. Even if she did lift, it was often very low and short which allowed the opposing male player to attack it with a hard drive sometimes.

I think 5:02 is a good example of how good the opposing female player was always looking for an opportunity to attack off a drop, though you should be careful about dropping when your opponents are in the front-back attack position.

One thing about the opposing female player is that her flick serve is quite high and gives you a little more time to make a good smash off it, which you actually did one time except she made a pretty good return to the empty part of the court.

Overall though I think you should just work with your partner on being more aggressive especially at net. I believe that was the main difference in your match up.

16. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    you looked tired , quicker footwork needed ! badminton is all about footwork -movement and technique.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks - I like deceptions :) Trying not to overdo it is actually the hard part for me :D
    I also noticed my partner's lack of aggression, but chalked it up to missing training and not having her 'game-hat' on. She got a lot better in that regard later that day - it was needed as well. I could barely jump at all in our 7th match, she put a lot of pressure on our opponents and made the game much easier for me.

I was - caffeine can only do so much and is in most cases actually detrimental to my performance. I had to finish a project for University the night before and had a whopping 2 hours of sleep :/
    But I always look a bit tired/sluggish, I'm currently working on that. Being tall makes it hard to move your limbs very fast, so I do some weight training to increase leg strength. University and Badminton limit my time, however, so I'm usually only able to do that once a week...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zfT2zbvDqM
    The 3rd MD match - I didn't film the 1st game, regrettably, where we lost sth like 17-21 or 18-21. As you can probably tell, the bigger of our opponents is the best player on court, even though he hasn't had a lot of time to train lately. He anticipates very well, making it hard to get the shuttle past him when he's at the net. Unbelievably, this pair only became 2nd, losing to our opponents #4 (uploading that tomorrow).
    The third game should be up in less than an hour.

#1057 j4ckie, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

19. RocKai

RocKai Regular Member

Hospitality
    Dunedin, New Zealand

Hi everyone,

It's great to see other players posting their vids up. I've recorded a few singles games of me playing, here they are. Constructive comments are welcomed :)

My university tournament, I came 2nd and lost to this guy. I'm one with the blue Apacs shoes. Men Singles.
    Set 1
    Set 2

I have a bad form of net play and not tactically good sometimes when reacted. My footwork is not up to par in this game because I was pretty tired after a whole day of tournament playing.

There are more vids in my channels so subscribe if you can :p

20. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

The reason he won is basically because he made fewer unforced errors than you. He seemed to be asking more questions, more probing shots, making you move on the long diagonals, exploiting your tiredness. When you did this to him you won the rally.