Li Xuerui ( 李雪芮 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Nov 4, 2011.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

See post #638, para 1 ;)

2. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I think this is an one time occurence. :D

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Gah! She was doing ok so far...
    Besides, most other players have been kinda slumming over the past month, to different degrees...

4. Hakular

Hakular Regular Member

Li Xuerui just lost a second time of the year to an unseeded Japanese girl. She is so inconsistent. Li Xuerui and Wang Shixian should get kicked out.

5. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

^Inconsistent? Maybe or a tactical gameplan in order to do better at the All England...

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I hope you said that tongue-in-cheek :p

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Perhaps a little inconsistent but not that bad, considering she won three strong tourneys in a row at end of last year to catapult herself to the world number one spot.

At the risk of sounding like giving excuses for her, I'd like to point out that she was slightly injured in Jan even before she pulled out of the KOR Open in R1, followed by the generous 9-day Chinese New Year break given by CBA to all the players and coaches in mid-Feb, which means all the participants had only barely a week's proper training before coming to the GER Open, the surprising outcome isn't too unexpected nor necessarily a bad thing.

It's just a minor setback, I won't read too much into it.On the contrary , it might even be a good thing for her to take a few knocks now and then. Her rise to the very top at such a young age has been too smooth and plain sailing, and it's still early days in her career.

Paradoxically,I make bold to say it would actually do her a lot of good to suffer a major setback if possible early rather than later in her career. Remember what happened to Lin Dan at Athens Olympics 2004 and Wang Yihan at the 2010 Uber Cup, from which they both emerged stronger than ever to scale greater heights.

Imagine, if that defeat at Sayaka's hands were to occur in a team event in a must-win situation and she blew it - would she be devastated and fade away or dig her heels in and resolutely persevere until she rises again to a higher level? I should like to think the latter, the more so in view of her relatively young age at 22 as she would have ample time to make amends and reap the benefits, just as Lin Dan did after the Athens 2004 debacle.

I believe she possesses prodigious natural talents, much of it still in reserve waiting to be tapped. Only by subjecting her to constant vigorous demands and pushing her to the limits and a bit more time and time again will we know how far she can really go. The fear is going overboard and resulting in undesirable consequences - not easy to strike the right or optimal balance for each individual has his/her threshold of pain and degree of motivation. But nothing ventured,nothing gained. Fortunately, CBA has the luxury to take the risk with their depth of talents.

I am reminded that LXR, who idolises Lin Dan, once recently quoted her hero's words in his autobiography about not having the excuse to lose just because one is off-form but to strive on relentlessly. Let's see if she can live up to that maxim. Still a long way to go if she aims to become the female equivalent of Lin Dan but if anybody can do it, she is the natural choice at the moment.

From what I've read, for quite a long time after Zhang Ning's retirement in 2008, Li Yongbo has been waiting for one of his WS players to play the lead role, as someone he can rely on to deliver results on important occasions such as the team and world championships. In MS he knows he can count on Lin Dan but in WS no definite answer yet which he's admitted as much; though LXR appears to be the one as lately touted by some in the media, he however hasn't openly said so, to my knowledge. Needless to say, LXR's loss to Sayaka yesterday isn't helping matters.

After all,subjectively speaking,if I'm not wrong, the great Lin Dan only succeeded in consolidating his pre-eminent position from 2008 when he was about 25 years old. Let's give LXR a bit more time, she'll get there, assuredly.

8. fauci

fauci Regular Member

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Hope that she doesn't become the next zhu lin, lu lan, wang lin.. She's still young though.

10. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

just for your information, Sayaka Takahashi has left Panasonic and joined Unisys (same with her sister).
    Under the normal daily training, she is not coached by Nakashima. But yes, when it comes to the national team training.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I supposed that is always the fear when you've achieved such phenomenal success at such a young age and so early in your career before you reach the high point in terms of maturity and cumulative experience. The more so for a CHN player with the ever present threat of being replaced by any one of the existing or new players ever so eager and ready to step into your shoes at the first opportunity. On the other hand, there is no better place to be in than CHN if you want to rise to the top one day.

I believe LXR is fully aware that her every move is under close study and scrutiny by every coach and player of other nations. She really cannot afford to be over-confident or worse still, take any unknown player lightly, esp when they have nothing to lose and fear when playing her as the underdog mentality actually works to their favour. On this, she'd be well-advised to take a leaf from her idol Lin Dan who once said it's often the unknown player who can catch you by surprise and give you a rude shock as you are not familiar with their game. Additionally, it's not uncommon for such players to rise to the occasion and play above themselves.

#651 Justin L, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

13. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    LXI makes me think of Ye Zhaoying - play like a robot kept on pressuring the opponents. In the Olympic match against Yip Pui Yin, she had problem reading Yip's smash, but she kept on serving high. She kept on following the game plan without making adjustment.

She lost to Takahashi probably because the Chinese coaching team and her know too little about her. Next time when they meet, I bet LXI will win in 2 straight games.

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

For those who are interested, this is her match against sayaka takahashi from japan..
    [video=youtube;cXkXR3MCTU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXkXR3MCTU4[/video]

15. keenobserver

keenobserver Regular Member

retired
    I think she has her own agenda known only to herself and a perhaps a few others...

-

16. vixter

vixter Regular Member

LXR won the match against Yip Pui Yin in straight sets, so I'm not sure there was any adjustment necessary. Just because your opponent manage to hit some smash return winners now and then, is not necessarily a reason to start serving low. We can probably conclude that LXR was controlling this match well enough.

The priorities of LXR is obviously the All England where she is defending champion. The German Open was simply a warm-up for her. Of course she would have liked to win against Takahashi but she's not gonna put everything on the line to do so. I agree with what you said that the coaches probably having a clear strategy against her next time.

17. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Would you say there is any sign of that??? Are you talking about injury in her left knee? Is it serious? Otherwise I can see no reason to think that LXR would fall. A random loss in a GP tourmanent is of no relevance to her... All England is what matters now.

18. fauci

fauci Regular Member

His name is Ding Qi Qing. A former national player in the 80's.

19. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Yup, his chinese name is Ding Qiqing.
    He named his surname as Nakashima because Naka in kanji is 中 (which means China in Chinese) Shima in kanji is 島(whichmeans Japan Island). He shows his love to both countries.

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Li Xuerui's record against southpaws is not as convincing compared to her record against right-handers. Take a look at this....

LXR v/s Jiang Yanjiao 2-0
    LXR v/s Bae Yeon Ju 2-1
    LXR v/s Sayaka Takahashi 0-1

and this one....
    LXR v/s Wang Xin 1-5