Victor BS-LYD Vs MX-JJS

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by R20190, Mar 25, 2013.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've been searching around the forum looking for a comparison between these two racquets but can't seem to find much info on it.

I have been using the LYD (1st gen) for a little while now and find it really suits my play but I'm intrigued about the JJS and with it being discontinued I'm having thoughts about buying it too.

I like the speed of the BS frame and in terms of balance I think the LYD is at the limit of head heaviness that I can tolerate. I normally prefer something slightly more even balanced but the same balance as the LYD would be fine. I find the LYD lacks a power and I'd prefer a slightly larger, more forgiving sweetspot.

Does any one have both racquets and can offer me your view of what the JJS is like compared to the LYD?

Many thanks :)

2. badmin_canada

badmin_canada Regular Member

Student
    I have used both BS LYD and MX-JJS, both in 3U.
    My coach is a rep for Victor in Canada and he let me borrow his MX-JJS for as much as I wanted. I also have used LYD, but currently play with BS 12 (love it). I felt that JJS gave me an enormous amount of power at the back of the court, but lacked a bit of defense. It really depends on how strong you are, therefore how well you can handle the racket.
    In comparison to BS LYD, MX-JJS felt a bit heavier. It's cool how they have this Graphene T-part in the racket, that thing turned me on when I first heard about the racket.
    Anyway, hope my brief comparison was insightful and helpful.
    Cheers!

3. Nicky_Boy02

Nicky_Boy02 Regular Member

Space Explorer
    What about MXJJS as compare to VTZF? I've always very tempted to try MXJJS but none of my friend own one. I'm currently using VTZF and MXJJS intrigued me after reading numerous posts about MXJJS here. VTZF has been wonderful to me but since I'm using a 4U version, sometimes I do feel that I can unleash more power with a 3U racket (US doesn't sell VTZF 3U). I mean I can feel the power of my shot with a 3U racket. On top of that, would you mind compare MX80 as well? I have heard MX80 is an aggressive weapon but the many complaint about shoulder ache. How likely does MX80 can cause shoulder injury? Is it because of technique problem or age factor? Or whatever reason? Thanks!

4. karyaw

karyaw Regular Member

Students
    By owning mx80 previously, and now using mx jjs. MX80 really stiff but it does not caused me injuries so far, maybe i still young. But the mx80 really drain energy fast for power smash, but mx jjs less stiff and i does not face defense problem too. MX series is good racket, feel more bouncy and solid to others. :D

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    To me, the BS-LYD is right at the border between even-balanced and head heavy. I can just about tolerate it, if the MX-JJS is even more head heavy than the LYD then I probably can't consider it.

Can someone confirm this for me please?

More power is good, I get a reasonable amount of power from the LYD but nothing spectacular. A little more power would be great.

So is the JJS really that bad in defense? The LYD is OK in defense due to the fast frame but it's still a little head heavy to be outstanding in defense.

I would have considered the BS12 too but I like the stiffness of the LYD and would probably find the 12 too flexible.

6. karyaw

karyaw Regular Member

Students
    then u just get the LYD lor

7. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

MX JJS is definitely head heavier than BS LYD and the swing weight is more as well hence the power.
    If you're used to the BS frame, MX JJS might not suit you and your defense will probably suffer.
    My 2 cents :)

8. victorgabriel1

victorgabriel1 Regular Member

Ive been using MX jjs since it came out and surprisingly enough my defense went up in comparision to mx 80...i rly enjoy this racket and it is incredibly fast in defense for me.

9. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

I have the BS10 (love it), I heard it's kinda similar to the LYD? I think I have the same problem your're facing about power. Power-wise there definitely IS power but it's hard to access (unless you swing hard everytime) cause the shaft is REALLY stiff and I don't know why but it also has a somewhat small sweetspot despite the isometric frame. :confused: Since I'm a lazy guy I want a slightly more flexible racket so it would be easier to use :D

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I personally don't find the LYD has a small sweetspot as such, but I find it isn't very stable on off-centre shots - probably because of it's lower torsional stiffness due to the BS frame shape. I'm kind of hoping that the graphene T-joint in the JJS will help with that.

The Victor balance scale shows that both the LYD and JJS to be around the same, I know it's not an exact scale, which is why I need to know if the balance is the same.

I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions on this, some say the JJS is quite even balanced while others say it is very head heavy. I'm wondering if this difference in opinion is due to some people with 4U and others with 3U versions?

11. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    I have friends that have both racquets and allowed me to compare them. IMO, they both about the same weight (both model I tested are 3Us) and are heavier than my personal likings. Mind you I use 2U Ti10 3rd generation. Stiffness of both racquet is very comparable and power delivery on the shafts are smooth. I do feel the LYD is more end loaded in terms of weight yet the JJS is more even through out the frame and shaft. Speed of both racquet is similar, but the LYD does have the edge over, particularly swinging at limits; the BS series is know for its repulsion which hands down a winner by LYD; however JJS does feel a notch better comes to stableness and handles off center hit much better.

I also prefer the hitting feel of JJS, but yet BS series is never know for it's feel. I think both racquets provide and share the same playing field and capability just that they are miles apart in terms how they feel.

My personal choices goes to JJS, but again, I find the 3U model too heavy for my liking but I haven't yet to able to test a 4U model of either racquets, which could be completely a different story.

Cheers, my 2 cents

Ted

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Hi Ted,

Your opinion is worth a lot more than 2 cents to me. Thanks!:p

My BS-LYD is 3U and I think I get a long with it pretty well. I don't find it excessively heavy, although you can certainly feel the head weight. If the JJS is no head heavier than the LYD in 3U spec, I will definitely consider getting one.

The JJS seems to offer what I've been looking for in the LYD in that it is more forgiving on off-centre shots and has better feel and power. My only concern was that the additional power came from an increase in head weight - which I didn't want.

I'm not sure about getting a 4U, normally the lighter you go, the less solid and stable the racquet feels. Unless the JJS was a lot head heavier than the LYD, I'd probably stick with a 3U.

13. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

I have both LYD and JJS, they are 3Us. Noticed that the JJS is only just a bit head-heavier after I put the same string and overgrip on both rackets. However, the swing speed is considerably faster with LYD, thanks to the "Sword" frame which cuts through the air with less coefficient drag.

Both provides very good feedback when you hit power shots but I feel JJS gives more "crisp" feeling during impact, I'm not so sure if it is a result of the Graphene layer though.
    For double games, I'll go with JJS whenever I consider to play more on the rear court or if I think I'll have more offensive initiatives than the opponent. Otherwise, I will use the LYD if I predict that my opponent will attack more aggresively or the cases where I have to cover the net area more than my partner does.

14. ariffd93

ariffd93 Regular Member

student
    Bs 10. Nice?

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I do find the LYD quite a fast racquet, but it's not quite as fast as my ArcZS in my opinion. The main problem is it is a touch head heavy which hinders it on fast short strokes such as in defending smashes, but in fast long strokes like smashes, its incredibly fast.

As I had a relatively strong arm, fast long strokes isn't such as problem, it's more the fast short strokes. In other words, balance is more important than aerodynamics for me. If the JJS is a little bit head heavier than the LYD, I'm wondering if I should get the 4U instead as I have a 3U LYD? Will power be compromised a lot with 4U?

16. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

I haven't tried the 4U but I think if you are used to the LYD in 3U then you shouldn't find any major difficulties with the 3U JJS. Well, probably you'll just need to adjust the timing at the beginning due to the balance point and swing weight but after a while it will be just fine.

17. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

In this case, I can't see the JJS will give more benefit than LYD. Should probably looking at those even balanced rackets from the Arcsaber series or NS9900 which is very repulsive and helpful on the fast short strokes.