Asian Sports Awards

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Dec 2, 2007.

1. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Mohammed Yousuf scored massively for pakistan... breaking Sir Viv Richards record for most runs in test calender year... although his form is scratchy during the current series against India that just concluded...

He should win provided there is no bias, he did an amazing feat and he averaged over 100 runs during the massive year.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The Winners Are ...

Extracts of report from:
    The Star Sport
    13 December 2007

The inaugural sports awards given by the Asian Sports Press Union (ASPU). (Winners in highlighted letters)

Asian Sportsman of the Year:

Liu Xiang (Athletics, China)

Ahn Hyun Soo (Short Track Speed Skating, Korea)
    Mohammad Yousuf (Cricket, Pakistan)

Asian Sportswoman of the Year:

Nicol Ann David (Squash, Malaysia)

Paweena Thongsuk (Weightlifting, Thailand)
    Jin Sun-Yu (Short Track Speed Skating, Korea)

Asian Team of the Year (Men):

Lee Ho-Suk, Ahn Hyun Soo, Seo Ho Jin, Song Suk Woo (Short Track Speed Skating, Korea)

Fu Hai Feng and Cai Yun (Badminton, China)
    Daniel Lim, Heng Boon Hian and Aaron Kong (Bowling, Malaysia)

Asian Team of the Year (Women):

Gao Ling and Huang Sui (Badminton, China)

Nor Hashimah Ismail, Azlina Arshad, Nor Iryani Azmi (Lawn Bowls, Malaysia)
    Korean National Handball Team (Handball, Korea)

Lifetime Achievement Award:

K. Ramanathan [/B](Tennis, India)

Humanitarian Award:

Imran Khan (Cricket, Pakistan)

Panel of Judges:

Datuk Dr M. Jegathesan (Deputy President, Olympic Council of Malaysia)
    Eswar Ramachandran (ASPU Representative, India)
    Faisal Al-Qanai (ASPU Representative, Kuwait)
    George Dass (ASPU Vice-President)

Nicol, 23, became world number one in January last year. Throughout that year, she won the British Open, World Open, Qatar Airways Challenge Open, Malaysian Open, Hong Kong Open and a gold medal at the Doha Asian Games.

Liu Xiang, also 23, a gold medallist at the 2004 Athens Olympics, is the current world record holder of the 110m hurdles, at 12.88 seconds, having set the record in Switzerland in July last year.

He also won the gold medal at the Doha Asian Games, the Osaka Grand Prix, the Golden League Athletics in Paris, the IAAF World Cup in Athens and the IAAF Super Grand Prix in Lausanne.

George Dass said the awards, in collaboration with Stropt & Sports Ltd (Hong Kong), was given to Asian athletes who inspired and sparked the imagination of millions across Asia in their respective fields.

He said Nicol and Liu Xiang were chosen from 100 nominations from 25 sporting bodies and national Olympic Councils from 15 Asian countrtes.

#22 Loh, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Not because i like KKK/TBH. But personally i think they should be nominated on the board instead of FU/Cai.. no offence to them. Reason simply because the Msian Pair was newly formed and manage to win few titles and at the same time climb up the ranks until they are currently ranked #1.. in Just one year. The rest of the pairs has been around for sometime compare to these 2 Msian boys.

4. Abby飘

Abby飘 Regular Member

Where can see this news?

5. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    w0o0o~..go0o Cai Yun & Fu HaiFeng~~!!..my favorite pair~~

Well Deserved~..=)

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry to say you've read wrongly. They didn't win. :rolleyes:

7. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    well..w/e..they were on the list..lol

fine..go Gao Ling and Huang Sui then~..gezz..=p

8. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    you're so right....CY/FHF haven't ben that outstanding at all this year....on the other hand...KKK/TBH had already won a few big tournaments after being paired together for a short while...

9. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    well..the award i'm sure also does involve having sportsmanship and CLASS..which KKK/TBH don't have much of..well..mostly KKK..but yea..i'm sure if most people have watched their matches..KKK gets pretty cocky on most of them..=)

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You take these awards seriously? See how they spread the nominations across countries?

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

It's also spread across different sports. I'm surprised Lawn Bowls was nominated when Msian Women's Bowling Team are Asia & World Champs.

But Nicol David deserves to win, 1st Asian woman to be tops in squash. Just wish squash is Oly sports, then we have excellent chance of getting 1st OG Gold.

12. sweetlover

sweetlover Regular Member

STUDENT
    why must fu/cai...???
    why not kkk/tbh...???
    personally i think kkk/tbh much more deserve then fu/cai...
    kkk/tbh just pair for a year n they manage to achieve lot of title...:)
    n now they r WR1#...:)

13. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    they are world #1 FOR NOW..I think these awards go to players with CLASS and those who are able to inspire..kkk/tbh are not a good example..another reason y lin dan is not on there obviously..cuz he does hv his attitude problems here n there eventhough he is one of my favorites..when i think of kkk/tbh..all i can think of is all those gucci and prada sponsors..unlike Fu & Cai that inspire so many people in China..eventhough im in Canada..it is because of them i had a passion to take up badminton seriously now doing things in for this sport such as coaching, stringing and helping others to love the sport of badminton

14. eaglehelang

I'm not sure about other countries, but for Msia, TBH is an inspiration for young players in the sense he came from poor background (father had no $$$ to pay RM25/mth for training fees). TBH had to count every penny he spent in his junior days. Now he is still down to earth, humble.
    And in my personal opinion, mature for his age - I wasnt as mature at 20. In future, may be better player than KKK.

KKK - has severe shortsightedness & was short in his teenaged years. Overcome that with speed on court. That is inspiration for those who are not tall and vision less than 20/20.

On the other hand, to be nominated, an athlete or team need to have a couple of years of consistent results, KKK/TBH still new pairing. Nicol David has been World Champ 2 times before awarded this title.

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It's good to know that fu/cai have energised you to badminton passion level.In our region, I have to say we are extremely grateful to LCW.We now get our regular 'live' badminton fix because LCW has started to feature more regularly in sf and finals.I can't imagine what MAS badminton interest will be like without LCW.

16. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    hey I actually don't reject the idea of LCW..LCW is probably one of the most fan appreciated people out there..but the guy above u was trying to say kkk/tbh deserve it..which i beg to differ..=)

I would say LCW is right up there w/ CY and FHF..dun mistaken..got nth against LCW..i love watchin him play LD every time..crazy offence vs. crazy defence..heh~

17. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Not sure about TBH now.He seemed to have picked up some KKK vanity; LV bag, dyed hair (problem is he looks better with his original hair colour),etc.What he does not understand is KKK needs vanity to perform well because he's grown up on it and KKK's vanity is EFFORTLESS.With TBH,vanity does not come naturally and he needs to put in effort for that. Problem with world class badminton: Either it's 100% effort or nothing.
    Somebody pls let TBH know he's born good looking so there's no need for enhancement, just concentrate 100% on badminton. KKK's not born good looking, that's why he needs to preen and impress with his personality.
    The way I see these awards:MAS did not nominate any shuttlers because the players don't have time to collect the awards anyway, so why bother? (Nicole's season ended in NOV.)

18. eaglehelang

RLOL, that was a good one. Nicol trains in faraway land overseas, ambassor for some non-profit organisation, also no time.

KKK wasnt good looking when he was a kid & teen, now he's good looking.

TBH dyed his hair? No wonder the kid looked different, even ol eagle eyes here never notice. Maybe just a phase to release stress of being top pair.
    So many years dont get to spend money, now finally got chance, full charge.

Ask Ants to pass the info along. Anyway, I think TBH's dad wouldnt condone any showing off.

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Um, are we going off-topic here? :p

20. sweetlover

sweetlover Regular Member

STUDENT
    dont want to argue but dont u think that kkk/tbh most inspire players when they manage to achieve a lot of title after being paired about a year n recently is WR1#???:cool:
    n about the gucci n prada sponsors,i think that not the issue coz they deserve that after worked so hard right...???
    thats also means the sponsor trust kkk/tbh to use their product...
    its a good thing right???
    btw,i'm very pleassure when know that u now 1 of badminton fans n does some effort for badminton...:)