Without LD, WC13 is the best chance for LCW to win

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by Jonc108, Mar 26, 2013.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in ancient times maybe. times when warrior will forfeit a match due to lack of worthy opponent.

these days, $millions are at stake. it will never happen.

2. sen

sen Regular Member

There is no lack of worthy opponent with Chen Long whose head to head with LCW is getting better.

Back to topic, I don't think WC 13 is the best chance for LCW, he is getting older now. His best chance probably 2 or 3 years ago. But I think this is the last good chance for LCW because the up and coming players will be stronger next year.

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    2010 lin dan lost
    but lcw never win.
    2013 ae,lin dan never come,but lcw also lost
    wakakakaka!

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Perhaps the final confirmation of Lin Dan's participation will be known just before the dateline (second Thurs of May). Let's hope for a joyous turn of events, a wonderful outcome; you may never know.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks, you're right. My understanding was based on reading that article, apparently the author got it partially wrong; I should've read the BWF regulations. But I still believe both LYB and Lin Dan are unwilling to do that i.e. sacrifice two of his teammates.

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

another interesting statistics is the H2H between Chen Long and Lee CW in the finals.

we all know about the mental supremacy, or the lack of it for the Malaysian, and the record shown.
    they'd played in 5 finals altogether and CL won the last 4 with 3 in straight games.
    the only final LCW won against CL was a GP t'ment at home almost 4 years ago.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

WC'13 might be LCW's final,lucky break. I just don't like the idea of anyone winning it without the reigning world champion Lin Dan's participation.

Without Lin Dan,the sponsors are the biggest losers and they should be pretty anxious about it, more than the spectators and fans, I think.

As I've said before, the WC is different from the Olympics with its other agenda nor is it the same as any one of the 12 Superseries or 5 Premier SS for that matter. The winner is entitled to call himself World Champion and he has the same right as any challenger to fight for the title each time, and not be denied from doing so. What's equally if not more important is that the challenger becomes the world champion by beating all the best contestants which of course must include the reigning or defending world champion.

But unlike the challenger who has to earn the right to fight for the title, the world champion by virtue of his position should have the prerogative to defend his title against any worthy challenger(s). By doing so, both the world champion and the challengers uphold the integrity, recognition,honour and legitimacy of the World Championship as the top achievement.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Quite revealing stats you've there, Alan, thanks. To think Chen Long isn't even halfway through his career and yet to reach his peak performance, in my opinion. In other words, he is still improving, and that's scary.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Assuming there's no Lin Dan for this WC'13 and the top contenders are LCW and Chen Long, I'd like to speculate on the dark horse(s). Based on the most recent form, my top pick is Wang Zhengming. Other prospects might be Du Pengyu and JOJ.

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Because of his body mass and style of play, CL won't be at the top of his form for very long. I beleive he only have two more years to grab whatever there is to grab for him. After that, physical problems will start to manifest.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Though i don't wish him bad luck! He seems to be a nice fellow.

12. iSeVeN_Ultimate

iSeVeN_Ultimate Regular Member

Student
    i think LCW will be so motivated during this year WC
    LD is out, the chance is 50-50 to CL
    hopefully his motivation will make him win WC
    i think, no one active player deserve WC title than LCW

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    LCW's best chance was in Paris?

Well, I was there and I am very sure Paris was not his best chance. His best chance was in 2011.

In Paris, after LCW lost to Taufik (he played in the morning session), LD did not show full enthusiasm and lost to PSH in the first match of the afternoon session. PSH then proceeded to lose to Taufik. Who then lost to CJ.

Put in reverse, if LCW had won, it stands to reason that LD would have won too ......

But for this tournament, the favourite now should be Chen Long. As long as he doesn't freeze (like in 2011 WC) or start slowly (in 2012 Olympics), that is.

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

As always, abedeng's post makes the most sense :D

15. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    With or without LD, Datuk LCW already previously had many chances to be a world champion but IMHO, the main reason for him for not able to be one after those many years of participating is not because that there is LD that has able to play better than him as his main obstacle but it is him, Datuk LCW, that has not able to have the character to perform well enough when it's matter the most particularly in a prestigious event such as the world championship ( or Olympics).

I'll guarantee that if his character when playing in any prestigious event is no difference as how he played in the Malaysia Open, he will sure by now will be multiple world (and Olympic) champion.....and such mental character is what he needs to win this year WC and regardless to whom he is playing, he will sure win it even if LD is there again.

SS

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i think the reason LCW couldn't win a major is because he played in too many tournaments (big or small) in the past four years.

17. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

we all hope LCW can finally get himself a world title!!! :D its at least something he deserves after all the hard work n superb display of badminton in recent years as OG gold might be a little too hard for him considering his age n fitness by that time.. lets all support LCW and hope he gets it!

18. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

i see no reason LCW cant get his world title this year.
    1. He's been choosing tourney and playing less, not participating in every tourney, even sacrifices the axiata cup!
    2. LD might not be there to stop him, even if LD is playing, LD will be short of training after honeymoon break!
    3. Although CL has beaten him several times this year, he still has plenty of time to study CL's game n find a solution for it!
    4. The amount of experience he's been in the world of badminton, he's been in finals of OG and WC, no way he'll freeze at that stage!
    5. With DL and CWF getting better n better to spar with him, he can finally get some quality sparring partner back in Malaysia camp!
    6. All his coaches and staffs has been working very hard as to prevent any injuries that might occur!
    7. Mental blockage wont happen as LD, the guy who prevents him on almost all major titles might not be opposite him at the finals!
    8. He has what it takes to be a world champion!
    9. He has the support from the whole nation!
    10. He better win this time!!! :p

:D:D:D

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

On paper it may appear that WC2011 was LCW's best chance as he came close to winning a tight three-set encounter with Lin Dan, losing the rubber by deuce. But didn't that always happened to LCW in practically all the majors whether he was leading or trailing ? - either Lin Dan won by a clear margin or edged LCW out in the endpoints. Because it occurred so often, in other words it wasn't an isolated case, so much so that whether Lin Dan won by a big margin, as in Beijing'08, or narrowly, as in London'11 or LOG'12, only goes to prove that he is definitely a cut above Lee CW in every sense of the word. Their H2H says it all.

As to Paris WC 2010, it could be argued that had LCW not lost to Taufik in the morning session, Lin Dan wouldn't have lost to Park SH in the afternoon session because then his motivation wouldn't be affected or he wouldn't let his guard down after knowing of LCW's elimination. But I would argue that for CHN the WC is a important major event and it's not for any experienced CHN player to take it lightly, and additionally, it should be worth mentioning that Park SH during that period was known to be Lin Dan's difficult opponent or 'nemesis of sort' if you like for a number of years then but no longer so recently, a bit inexplicable but there seemed some truth to it.

Subjectively speaking, the case for Paris'10 being LCW's best chance than London'11 looked more convincing to me. However, I reiterate that this WC'13 at Guangzhou is another golden opportunity for LCW on the assumption that Lin Dan is out of the picture. That's because I feel that regardless what form Lin Dan is in, he will still pose to LCW a mental challenge, a psychological hurdle, a shadow that saps his self-confidence and shakes his inner belief. This problem becomes more pronounced to LCW especially now that he has openly admitted Chen Long is a new major threat to him going forward, not only Lin Dan.

For the Supreme Trio who are in a league of their own at the moment, a battle of the minds cannot be underestimated.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

After watching the replay of the Chen Long - LCW London Olympic semi-final, I'm convinced Chen Long didn't play to his capacity; he was a bit sluggish, somewhat passive and reactive, didn't play his game right. Luckily he stepped up his game to win the bronze medal match with Lee HI. For sure Chen long is a different player now.

Even so, I opine that Chen Long's chances against LCW come August is still at most 50-50. In this WC'13, I'd expect LCW to give of his very best and throw everything at it. No more excuses or reasons as otherwise we will end up having to say that every time he loses (excluding to Lin Dan), it's because he's not at his best, not that his opponent is better that time. How often can we do that without doing LCW a disservice and being disrespectful to his opponents?

Whatever the outcome, I believe this WC'13 will reveal to a certain extent whether LCW is on the decline, finally and not just temporarily. To ascertain that, I trust those of you experts here (I'm not one of them ) can observe how he plays and not simply look at the results.

In the absence of Lin Dan, Chen Long will be the one carrying CHN's hopes, shouldering the major responsibility and facing the pressure of the burden of expectation, something he didn't have to face as much in his two previous encounters with LCW in the HK and AE tourneys. Let's see how Chen Long deals with his newfound role.