Yonex ArcSaber Flash Boost ( ARC FB )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yan.v, Jan 13, 2013.

1. agios1980

agios1980 Regular Member

Teacher
    i thought i posted a response on the strings and tension on my fb already... i used the new ng99 on the highest recommended tension for this racket which is 24 lbs. great repulsion feel for sure.

I have to point out that the increase in racket head speed has given me the confidence to attempt shots i wouldn't try before.

for example if i am caught out of place and i have to reach for the back left corner (i am right handed) with a backhand i either go for a clear to the other side or attempt a drop. in either scenario i give my opponent the initiative to control the rally. but with the fb i am trying to jump back and attempt to smash the shuttlecock with a behind-the-head-smash in a straight line to his sideline. its not a powerful smash but thats not the point, because i am able to keep on controlling the rally.

...i hope i made sense. i really feel after three sessions already that this advantage in reaction and execution outweighs the benefits of a "cannon in your hands" racket.

i dont think i will ever purchase a racket with a heavy head balance or heavier than 4U.

2. xiaob

xiaob Regular Member

Which part of the racket that broke?

3. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    I notice I do this more often too with this racket. With my other ones I tend to be more safe.

4. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I didn't ask nor did I take a close look at first, but when I saw him talk to some other people after practice I took a peek at the racket and as far as I can remember it was at least bent at one place of the head (2 o'clock or 10 o'clock).

5. sting.kl

sting.kl Regular Member

I've used the 6U FB strung at 23lbs now for over 3 months now. During that time I believe I've had a couple of minor clashes with my partners. So far it is holding up well, no chipped paint and it's still in one piece. I concur with most people here that it allows me to do more adventurous shorts and it's my go to racket when I'm tired. It does require me to use my fingers and wrist more (and also more effort) to clear when I'm at the back of the court. In most other instances it rein supreme compared to the other rackets I own.

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yeah, the FB does have its wonders. I was able to do some shots I never quite done but then when I switch back to my Arc7, I implement something similar to that effect. Learn something new!

7. n0m5ky

n0m5ky Regular Member

After playing with a 5U Arc FB strung with NBG95 at 23lbs for a week (10 hours in total), I have to admit that this racket delivered, was enjoyable to use and gave me confidence in every rally that I had. I found that my smash was SLIGHTLY less powerful compared to my 3U Z-Slash. However, the speed and control of this racket out-weighted the lack of power in smash. Also, since I play with intermediate/advance players, my experience suggests that how hard your smash is, your opponent will return it most of the time. Therefore, only relying on a hard smash every time you hit the shuttle is not a good idea. You have to play smart and control your game. And that is where Arc FB really gets you there.

I agree that this racket helps you to do some shots that you think are impossible or really hard to do with other rackets. It's like you always have a very precious second to react and hit the shuttle back to your opponent's side. I also found that I could defend better with it; it's just very, very quick. Drives are fun with it. I remember that in a game, I exchanged drives with my opponent maybe 6 or 7 times in a row (he used a VT80) and I won it. His speed and reaction got slower and slower in each of those drives but mine didn't. After the game he approached me and said, "How did you do that?", and I just smiled and pointed my finger to the racket. Net-play is easy. Clears are effortless if you get your timing right. There were actually a few times when I hit the shuttle from my back-line to my opponent's and I found that the shuttle was way out. Drop shots feel natural and are easy to control.

Anyway, I will keep it as my current go to racket, replacing my beloved 3U Z-Slash. I feel that I find something new in my game when playing with it, but I can't tell you what exactly it is. Maybe the right word to describe it is "adventurous".

I just have a question, what is the differences between Arc FB and Nanoray series (NR 700 or 800)? I believe they both are head-light and even balance.

8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    n0m5ky,

Can you try upping the tension? :D I have mine at 26x28.

The smash does seem a bit less powerful, but maybe a bit slower but wasn't a concern to me because of the the fast recovery thanks to the swing speed which helps you prepare for what to do next. Almost a similar effect to my SP 900 SA back in the day and it was 81g.

#688 Matt, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  9. SuperAustinChu

SuperAustinChu Regular Member

Student
    If I am not wrong, the Nanoray has a 3U/4U weight range... thus the overall weight is more than the 5U/6U range. Some say that the ArcFB is head-heavy some say its even balanced but few say that its head-light. However Nanoray is definitely head-light, so the swing speed (when compared to other 3U/4U rackets) is faster, but should be a tad slower than the Arc FB. And I believe the shaft/ racket head reacts differently when hitting a birdie since one is categorised as control and the other power/ repulsion.

My Reference:
    http://www.yonex.com/products/badminton-racquet-matrix/

10. SuperAustinChu

Student
    :eek: you're not afraid that it might break from the tension? its like 3 lbs above the recommended tension.

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Nope, since the recommended tension is just there for stringers in general. It doesn't does not mean you need to abide by it. If the stringers know what they are doing, the racket will hold up fine above tension. It's when you have inexperienced stringers it can potentially break.

Plus it doesn't make much sense because the same would also apply to a bunch of whole other rackets which have recommendations like that and players have their rackets stringed (not to mention pros), that have it stringed above.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

There must be some good reason why Yonex's recommended max tension for this racket is 2 lbs less than the usual Arcsabers. ;)

13. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

It's not the recommended tension. It's the max warrantied tension.

14. agios1980

agios1980 Regular Member

Teacher
    On the 5u the highest reckomended tension is 24 not 23 lbs (looking at my racket now) unless the Japanese version is different.

15. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    This whole 'superlight' thing has really piqued my interest. My current go-to is 88g wet - the lightest racket I've ever owned - and when I go back to my other rackets (90-93g), I reckon I get maybe a >10% power boost that gradually tapers off as I get more tired.

Thing is, I don't have a big smash. If I smash, I win the point through placement or angle, not power. So the arguement would go, that if I could speed the rest of my game up and not to the detriment of my power game (which I use less and less these days) or my shoulder for that matter, then that would be a positive thing.

Is anyone having any physical issues with the FB? You'd have to swing your arm/wrist faster as a matter-of-course, so before I'd contemplate going down that route, I'd have to get a better handle on the potential for injury.

16. n0m5ky

n0m5ky Regular Member

From my experience with 5U Arc FB I can tell you that you have to be careful of your first 5-10 minutes playing with it. Make sure you have already adjusted yourself with the swing speed and timing of the racket before adding power to your shots. For the first 5-10 minutes take it easy, relax, feel each of your shots and don't do something fancy (big smash for example) or you will hurt your shoulder and your arm. After that I believe you'll get your speed and timing right and further add power to your shots. The next thing is you will enjoy the speed of your game.

Like others have mentioned, I feel no pain whatsoever on my shoulder as well my arm after playing with it for 2-3 hours a session. I think it's a great plus since I usually would feel a bit of tiredness or strain on my arm after playing with my 3U Z-Slash for 2-3 hours. Just my 0.2 cents.

17. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    It's the same 24 lbs like the rest of the Arcsabers.

http://www.yonex.co.jp/arcsaber/arcfb/

In a way it's true but it's it's really up to Yonex's discretion in terms of warranty claim if something happened. If it had a problem was caused by an inexperienced stringer (stringer error), then they can void the warranty for instance. However if it's done by an experienced stringer, would cover it. I know this because the authorized shop I go to has had rackets replaced from Yonex before and were stringed above recommended/warrantied tension and the Yonex rep know the stringer's quality and experience.

#697 Matt, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Its beginning to sound like the 5U is a real winner. I wonder why Yonex have not released it worldwide, though. A really strange decision.... :confused: :(

19. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I'm probably more interested in the 5U but don't really want to spend the extra $$$ for JP code so ill probably wait

20. SuperAustinChu

Student
    Same here, I've the TW coded 6U FB but would really like to give the 5U version a go and see which would be my backup racket =) but don't wanna pay the JP code pricing. Shall wait and see... =D