Big grip VS Small grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by johnnxiv, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    it is personal. You have too feel it. Big grip make me feel uncomfortable and small grip will make me use 2 overgrip which will ruin my racker BP too much

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I agree towel grip changes size. That's one of its disadvantages. Hence, I don't use it.

3. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

It only really changes the BP in measurements not something you will notice in play.
    I completely ignore BP change after over gripping nowadays.

4. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Not for some. I can feel the different

5. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

I used to use towel grip. Believing it will absorb all the sweat from my palm feels good. Soft cushioning feel is just great for me then.

I'm switching to having thinner grip with overgrip and replacement grip. I now prefer thinner grip as it gives me slightly more control. Its actually cool to use pu grips..:D

IMO, towel grip does changes the BP measurement and grip size. Only grip size affect the play. My games are very bad with new grips and plays better once it is seasoned. Unfortunately, seasoned grips = time for replacement and the cycle repeats.

Give it a try.... get 3 or 4 of the same grip. Same colour, length, tape... the BP measurement should be consistant, grip size does varies between new and used. Do it affect play?

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Lol. :p It's self made towel grip. I used a lot of towels. But this works best for me. It's called "Hotel Collection". :D

I agree. Europeans tend to use larger grips. I have seen alot people with the same handsize who play significantly larger grips which looks like a tin of coke. :D
    Usually I use for autumn and winter and some time of spring only a 0.6 Overgrip on wood with less overlapping. But for warmer days I must use towel grips which are a bit thicker. Thanks for your advice. I will try out next training sessions and report my impressions.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Is it because of sweat that you use towelling grips in summer?

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Yes. The gym of my club is very hot in summer. I sweat quickly and especially on the palm. So I must use towel grips with baby powder for this time of the year and change my rackets every to 2 games. If I would use PU grips they get slippy during one game.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This is why I use Kimony grips from Japan. Personally, I found them better having the wood, a thin layered grip and then the Kimony grip on top. Having the first layer just increases the absorbency. In Asia, it's hot and humid so sweat can be really bad.

I also used three or four same model racquets strung exactly in the same way, same grip. Iced drink prepared in the freezer beforehand.

10. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I've been changing between different grip sizes because I was never comfortable with thinner grips although I'm aware that you get the best out of a racket with minimal load to the handle. My palms are extra large. Now I'm back to a thinner grip :)
    Is it true that a grip too thin can potentially cause shoulder/arm injury?

11. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

same as cheung, but I prefer directly wrap kimony or other thick adhesive grip to the wood as it is subjective and for me the thin 1st layer affecting my relax-comfort-confidence at gripping the racket. the feeling is just not there.

but of course direct thick adhesive grip to the wood has its own drawback which is if you late to change it, it will be sticky to the wood and leaves lot of residue when you try to pull it off because of poor perspiration absorbing

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Some people will blame an injury on the size of the grip. I don't think there is a clear cut relationship.

13. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

there could be a relation in this because everyone has a different "grip strength" threshold that is correlated to size.

if you have something pencil thin and you try to grip it you will find that it takes extra effort to really grip it tight enough so that it doesnt rotate in your hand.

similarly if it is too big, like a huge pole, you can barely get your fingers around it to give a strong grip.

either way will often lead to unnecessary over-exertion/over straining especially in sports where large amounts of power is generated in short bursts.

due to different trainings, different builds, everyone has a unique grip size where they have the strongest hold and this would be the best for any racquet sport

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I bought yesterday a pack of Karakal Nano 60. The Victor Overgrip, which I used for the cold time of the year is awful for warmer days.
    I compared towel and Nano 60 and Nano 60 works good and the smaller size made some shots a bit easier. Thanks Coach Cheung. :)

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Small, to the point where I find Yonex G5 too big.

I use a lot of wrist in all my shots, and a smaller handle allows more articulation.

16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Same here!

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Really? What grip or overgrip, and how much overlap you have on it?

18. swunk

swunk Regular Member

yonex g5/victor g2/li-ning s2 are about the same and what i like the most. with a thin 0.5 or 0.6 overgrip with not much overlapping
    as Mark A wrote, it really adds to articulation, more controlled net play. gives more feedback on the racket head angle on slices and drops. for me at least.

19. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Victor has changed their grip size for their 2013 models so it is similar to Yonex. Their old G2 is now G5.

Anyway I have my:
    TK8k - G5 wrapped with G08 (0.75mm) with 50-60% overlap
    Legend II - G5 wrapped with G08 (0.75mm) with 30% overlap
    AdiPower Pro - G5 wrapped with G09 (0.6mm) with 40-50% overlap

And guess what? Circumferential thickness of all 3 are @ 3.5". The TK8k at almost 0.5mm thicker.
    So basically my rackets are all at G4 specification!

20. Newbieeeeee

Newbieeeeee Regular Member

Power players should use thicker grips. This is due to the tightening of the grip during the shot. If the grip is too thin your fingers get in the way. For power playing one does not need to change grip in between. Plus, the player can be at full relaxed mode before the shot without the racquet flying away. :D