Things you hate about badminton!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wizbit, Dec 14, 2002.

1. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    mainly people who think they are alot better then they actually are.

truth is though.

YOU WILL NEVER ENJOY ANYTHING IN LIFE IF YOU ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE NEGATIVE ASPECTS. IF BAD THINGS OR ANNOYANCES HAPPEN THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT SO GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON.

enjoy what you can while you can.

2. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    I hate people who think you beat them because you have better equipment. It's upsetting because I've spent so much time and money on training to get to where I am now.

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I feel sorry for them. If they keep thinking this way, it's unlikely they will ever improve. Fortunately, I do not win enough for it to be a problem :p:p.

4. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

People who want to warm up with you and all they do is smash everything.

*I half court clear, they smash, I pick up birdie and half drive it to force them to at least clear it for me but then they smash it again* -repeat-

Drives. Me. Insane!

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Eugh, double post :eek:

Sorry guys :crying:

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I can sometimes be guilty of that :eek:, although I only do it when I'm angry about something else or warming up with somebody I don't really like. Most of the time I will knock-up properly though.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Different players have different versions of what a real warm up entails. Warming on the court is different from warming up out of court. A real warm up on court prior to a match should include the full repertoire of strokes, that is clears, both attacking and defensive, smashes, both stick smash and full blooded and returns of smashes, normal and reverse sliced, drives, short and long serves, net tumbles and pushes. But most beginners don't like this type of warm up, preferring instead to clear all the time because they find the full repertoire warm up too demanding and too revealing of their weaknesses.
    So there is no hard and fast rule for on court warm up.

8. noobtron

noobtron Regular Member

anger management thread

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Strictly speaking, limbering up and warming-up to avoid pulled muscles should be done outside the court or in the dressing-room. On the court you have a few minutes for a knock-up, not a warm-up which is strictly off court. The whole of the knock-up should be systematic, not simply hitting here or there. You should practise the main strokes needed for the particular game you are about to play (e.g. clears and drops in singles; smash and defence in men's doubles; net shots for the woman and drives for the man in mixed doubles). Play the knock-up exactly like the way you will play during the first few strokes of a real game.
    Pay close attention to your opponent's weakness during the knock-up. In other words the knock-up should be more like a reconnaissance.

10. Sandmandj

Sandmandj Regular Member

Sorry to re-open an old thread, but I play at quite a high standard too, I don't mind playing with people from any standard, but I hate it when, at the start of a game on a club night, my partner says this to me:

"Do you wanna play front and back or sides?"

It tells me straight away that the game is gonna be hideous and i'm going to be covering 75% of the court. :(

11. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

LOL. That happens to me ALL the time :p

Actually. I was just at cities last week, and my partner (Beginner, and a girl) said that she would rather play back (even though she's at her weakest there). I thought it was funny how i didn't want to bother her, and let her play in the back :p

Note that we had no prior experience playing with each other. My other partners had other commitments, and she was sort of a backup, so we didn't really have a sense of eachother's playing.

12. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

1.) i hate cheaters who add up points for themselves
    2.) i hate people who thinks pissing people off is a strategy cause thats a ***** move
    3.) i hate people who discourages you cause ur not as good as them
    4.) hate how people who don't pick up their birds
    5.) hate horrible sportmanship

13. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    This thread is terrible lol

Overlook the negative aspects of the game and you will learn to enjoy it more.
    A positive mindset achieves even the most unrealistic of goals.

negatives create a brick wall and "progress" no longer exists.

14. Nextech0

Nextech0 Regular Member

Even though badminton is my life and I love virtually every aspect of it, i suppose I'll list some things that tick me off slightly:

- Poor sportsmanship (Mainly not picking up birds, not shaking hands, and not trying when they are losing)
    - Bad line calls
    - Players who are better than you and refuse to play their hardest against you... this is probably the worst thing because then I can't accurately gauge my skill against there's
    Before you begin, discuss with your opponent how you would like to warm up. For example, say you would like to begin with some easy clears just to get started, then go into smashes, drops, etc.

15. FirstSecond

FirstSecond Regular Member

Student
    People who think Badminton is an easy sport.

Seriously, probably everyone in my school thinks that badminton is a "wussy" sport and when they picture badminton in their heads, they picture the recreational play in your backyard that you just clear back and forth until one gets tired and quits.

I am a top junior for my school team and goodness, I always hear this from people (Who sometimes don't even look like they excercise):
    "I bet I can beat you in badminton." lol...

Once they get on my nerves, I agree to play them and after I win they go: "OMG YOU'RE SO PRO! WOW!" You just suck, man.

Some people in my class goes:
    "Wow you're good in badminton, big deal. Everyone's good at that!"
    "Badminton's not a sport."
    "Badminton's for chickens."
    "Good job, now go play a real sport."

Everytime I hear that... Oh, how I want to smash (JUMP SMASH EVEN) a birdy at their face... :mad:

16. DexDez

DexDez Regular Member

Technologist
    Sorry to see that FirstSecond, I too have heard that in the past. Badminton is not the most popular sport in North America but from playing the game, it has all the elements to be defined as a "real sport" it really is what we make of it! There's going to be positives and negatives whether we like it or not.

If I am reading this correctly, it sound's like pride or lack of understanding for the sport?

I really don't agree with what these people are saying..............

"Badminton's not a sport." or "Good job, now go play a real sport"

Definition: " an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."
    note: definition from www.dictionary.com

"Badminton's for chickens.

Based on the sports definition above, how is badminton different then tennis, golf or bowling?

17. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I dont' like people who just smash everything, especially like people who aren't great, so you serve, they smash, you block, and then rally's over during a warm up. It gets really boring sometimes...

18. DonnyGan

DonnyGan Regular Member

Logistics
    i share almost all your views.

19. Sandmandj

Sandmandj Regular Member

I've just thought of another one!

I hate players that have the best footwear, the best racket in the world, the most expensive t-shirt, socks, and technologically advanced shorts/underwear. They normally look like a Yonex sales representative has vomited all over them.

Then you see them on court and they are absolutely dire. When the next brilliant racket comes out they buy it in the hope that they'll suddenly become a world class player. One of these guys came up to me the other day and said "what racket should I get to make my shots more accurate and powerful?" I said "Don't buy any more rackets, spend the money on coaching, A good racket makes up about 5% of your game, a good grip gets you another 5%, good strings another 5%, good footwear 10%, coaching will get you the other 75%, you're putting your money in the wrong place".

He didn't look very happy. I don't care though, I have a tendency to tell it how it is. :)

20. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

One thing that I really, really dislike about badminton is ‘The Elitists vs The Beginners’. There’s a lot to rant on about this one topic only, but I’ll start off by saying that I think it’s cruel when the better player gives off obvious ‘I-don’t-want-to-play-with-you’ body language and attitude. And then when they’re on court, they look really bored, keep getting distracted by their mates and just effortlessly beat the beginner, whilst the beginner is getting all flustered and getting no help whatsoever. I can understand why people don’t want to play people below their level. It’s not much fun, but they could at least keep those feelings inside themselves instead of displaying it for all to see. I think they forget that they were once an inexperienced beginner too.

In my opinion, I think that they should just put up with one tiny match against a beginner once in a while and be patient with them, because if people play against positive people their confidence and skills increase. However if you play against narky, selfish players you really lose your confidence and you don’t gain any skills from that game, therefore you can’t improve.

Just last week, I had to play against two elite adults and one of the adult’s sons, who is younger than me yet a county player – they asked me for a game, they weren’t told to. I’m young too (like in my teens) and I only started playing in September so it was quite unnerving. All I can say is that, at the end of the game I felt really depressed because my inexperience stuck out like a red thumb compared to the elites and I felt mocked by their comments - ‘Ohhh, she wasn’t ready’ and ‘Oh, play gently with her’. I’m sure they didn’t mean it, because they said it in a joking way, but it still hurt my feelings. Worse yet, they challenged me to another game right afterwards and I stupidly said yes, only to have the same embarrassing scene replayed right before me. I can tell you that that was the worst club night I’ve ever had, and that I don’t want to play with that bunch again till I get better.