CBA - End of a Golden Era in sight?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jun 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yes. Most likely OTB's grandson. :p

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Not much diff from what I see. If LD and CY retires, the rest will take it from there. ;)

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I always enjoy your wit and humour, subtle,nuanced - you almost revealed his age group, OTB's,that is:p:D

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The results so far in SS, SSP, GPG etc etc say otherwise....

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    :D OTB hasn't exactly kept it secret... :D
    Besides, I'm not too far away from there... :D

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

ok, i've misread your post as you're saying MAS is or was among the top 5 in XD.
    You put MAS XD ahead of ENG even we won the world championship and Olympic silver within the last few years.
    And together with our good old neighbour up north we got the world silver last year as well.

So, how many of world and Olympic titles are MAS is among the top 5 is based on?

#26 AlanY, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Another point, China is poised to be the next Super Power, so naturally would project her power, sports supremacy being one of the ways, as part of soft power not hard power which is viewed negatively and uneasily by others. It is expressed as the national will of the Chinese people to want to excel in sports and be the best in the world - such a view has been clearly evident for decades and is set to grow stronger far into the future. The 2008 Beijing Olympics was a defining moment of it and this coming London Olympic Games is another opportunity to showcase her prowess.

India is another rising major power but I suspect (no offence intended) she seems to place more emphasis on economic and military might.Japan too is a major economic and military power,once China's superior,lately eclipsed by her (I'm more interested in the sporting and economic sense).

Therefore,I believe,China's Golden Era will extend for many more years.:)

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I realised I worry for nothing about the possible dwindling pool of badminton players as fewer parents ,esp in the countryside, encourage their children to take up sports as a career. I overlooked the accelerating pace of urbanisation the last two decades from 26% in 1990 to 51.3% by end of 2011 and set to reach nearly 70% by 2035.

With such a massive influx of rural people to the cities and the unlikely ability of the government and the economy to create enough jobs for the teeming millions, I suppose there will continue to be a large pool of potential badminton players to tap from, or any sport for that matter, assuming the state takes care of their livelihood.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Woo-hoo, a 14-yr-old child prodigy ! One concern is most junior players in CHN don't get a chance to play in the senior/adult circuit, what more someone so young. When can we ever see her play,let's hope she starts beating her much older opponents and be included in the CHN national team soon. In two years time perhaps?

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Golden era: MS

In MS, China have dominated the landscape as a team. They have had more players in the semis and finals than any other country, consistently. No surprise. The only country that hit them hard, was Malaysia, thanks to just one solitary man: LCW. In team events (TC, SC, AG etc) China has ruled with an iron fist for the past 5 or more years. There have been very few surprises.

But this is mostly down to LD, and lately, CL. Take LD away from the equation, and this may even affect CL's confidence. China will look decidedly shaky once LD is not around. Again, the theory that WZM, DPY et al will easily step up and fill the shoes of LD, CJH and CL, is IMO, wishful thinking or plain bluster. They have shown that they are good, but not that good.

And remember, other countries are improving. The young Danes, as well as the young Koreans and Japanese players are becoming a real and present threat and show the ability to displace China. In a couple of years, they will be joined by the young Indonesians and Malaysians. The Indians show promise, but whether they can make the transition from dangerous floaters to top-level threats remains to be seen. If AJ can get his act together, he can certainly still do it.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Golden era: WS

In WS, the Golden era for China seems to extend forever! Apart from the age of Susi Susanti (she too had to deal with giants from China) and Camilla Martin (she, ditto) the Chinese girls have had a romp. And they are still pouring in from every corner of the country! It's very likely China will maintain it's stranglehold on this format for a long time.

But as I pointed out earlier, one slip in calculations, or one star-crossed phase of retirements, and it could all change quickly. The other countries have been slowly closing the gap, and it is only the combined presence of the top 5-6 Chinese girls in almost all tournaments that have effectively crushed the spirits of the rest. But the youngsters from other countries are changing their outlook; they don't care how many China WS girls the CBA throws at them; they will just play their game. And once they begin to get better tech and strategic support and opponent-specific training like the CBA girls get, they will start making a difference.

On the whole however, this format is still China's to lose.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Golden era: MD

???

They never did have a stranglehold in this format. MD was a constant battleground between many teams over various decades, and many countries partook of the honours: Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, China, even Denmark.

CY/FHF have maintained a slight edge over other teams because of superior infrastructure, research and support; none of the other countries come close to what CBA provides its players, with the possible exception of Korea. What is significant is that no other Chinese MD team has been able to make the most of the CBA advantage. Meanwhile, Japan, Indinesia, Malaysia, and most importantly, Korea, have been adding to their bench strength with some real talent. I have a feeling it's just a matter of time before China loses it's position among the top teams in this format. LYB and TBY will be really hurting at some deep personal level.

Also, my point of view is this: China may probably continue to have an edge (albeit comparatively debilitated) over other countries in team events (TC, UC, SC, AG, etc) but in all other, one-on-one events (SSP, SS, WC, OG to some extent, GPG blah blah) the playing field will change.

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Based on badminton history todate, MAS is one of the top 5 nations...but in women events, never mind XD, MAS is not even close to be a force, and definitely not in WC, AG, OLY, even SS. In fact, I think Japan and England had won more in women next to CHN, DEN and KOR.
    You know the score more than anyone, MAS has not won any gold in OLY and WC ever...close though. Wait till Dato say bye, bye, then the wait is even longer.

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Ar, age thingie, no secret, I am in my mid-fifties, can retire but scared like heck to retire cos' I dunno what to do with so much time. The truth is if I retire I would have to stay home and face my old lady all day long...like OTB, take out the garbage, the car is dirty (you know what to do lah), water the garden, cut the lawn, and so on....better stay in the office, safer:D

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    If there is no LD, TH would be supreme followed by LCW. I have posted before that LCW is the best MAS player I have seen played this game but unfortunately his path crossed with the world greatest player, so there could only be one winner and we knew the outcome.
    Your post has merit except that with LD out, CHN men team may appear to be weaker but then the rest of the world really has no exceptional player the like of TH, LCW or PG to take over either.
    You mention WZM, DPY, etc...but how many excellent young talents mirking around in CHN we do not really know. I reckon this to table tennis, where CHN world junior team swept the world and I seen some great TT played, and 2 years later, not one single WS or MS player from that WJC team makes it to the national squad. Just like that, they are not good enough while the rest of the world including the great Sing team makes do with the same set of players. That is depth that CHN has, scary.
    The strength in the rest of the world lies on doubles....single, who in INA, MAS, PG (except Axelson), KOR (only 1 Won) and then who else can compete against CHN? Just me thoughts.

16. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

LCW is far from being the only unfortunate one to have crossed path with LD. Ask BCL about it. And to a less extent, CJ.

Living in LD's shadow, BCL not only couldn't beat LD, he did not even have enough drive and confidence to contend with LCW.

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Too true!! :( BCL is one of the most unfortunate stories; phenomenal talent, tragic story...

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Du PY is a journeyman, Wang ZM's light shone a bit but briefly and disappeared from my radar screen. Like OTB, I expect some player somewhere in the vast expanse of China to suddenly emerge and cause a stir.

Redshuttle,notice anyone on the horizon for MS?

19. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Oh OTB you don't have a complete retirement plan then :D

since we are all baddy players let me share with you some secrets after we have retired.

Play competitive baddy overseas :D.

Yes, join the 100 yrs (up to 120 yrs) combined age tournament.

It's spreading here in a lot of countries especially Malaysia :D.

Purposely for cost saving, rooms are shared for about 6 persons (later you know why)

so can't bring wifey along (and its one of the rule!)

and most trips takes up to 10 days (excuse is tickets cheaper)

and better discount go in big group the more the merrier

and most important thing find a lousy partner :D

You get knocked out in the first round

playing in one of the china province

and you have all the free time for the next one week or so ehmm mmm.

Then back home you will start your training etc etc

but don't forget the lady in the house once in a while :D

hahaha

20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

yeah, the WS players from all around the world has potential to beat any chinese players now. but for me, the problem is how many chinese WS players they can beat in 1 tourney? okay, other country's player may beat 1 and 2 chinese WS, but u said it, china occasionally has 4 or even more WS players in 1 tournament. what make it even worse it that the players has different playing style. it's still pretty difficult if a player want to win any tournament for that reason i think.