Places to Play Canberra

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by DownUnderCock, Oct 28, 2007.

1. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Sorry,

I haven't been posting for a while, and have just stopped playing for a while as well, I have recently had an eye operation.

Unversity clubs down here tend to be a bit like that as they don't have a board system (organised games), but the courts are still timed, so that players cannot hog them for the entire session.

UC can get quite busy at times, they are the only registered club to have two sessions, Tuesday night and Sunday morning. They are also one of two clubs with the largest halls in Canberra- eight courts.

UC had the reputation of the best players in Canberra over the years. They still have a few good players, some on Tuesdays and some on Sundays.

Yes there are quite a few friendly players there.

Regards

Stuart

2. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

actually UC is the best place to play in canberra. the people there are amazingly friendly and, like jump smash just mentioned, some of the best players.

it seems they haven't changed the schedule in aeons!! the last time i played there was all the way back in 1992!! have they kept the huge green curtains? does music still blast away from the upstairs gym?
    if people tend to stick to groups, then it has changed quite considerably. during my time, players were very open and everyone was playing with everyone regardless of level.

i really do miss the people and playing there :crying::(. hopefully the next time i come back i'll have the chance.

3. DownUnderCock

DownUnderCock Regular Member

Java Developer
    Eye operation, was it serious? Omg 8 courts and still can get busy, i guess i'll just have to come and see. Thanks for the info. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D.U.C

4. jump_smash

IT
    Yes, unfortunately detached retnia. Looking back probably caused by me trying to rush fowards and sideways to intercept/block a smash in a doubles game over a year ago. I had done it many times before, but my timing was off, and I did have to try it against a former ACT rep player (ex Under 17 and Under 19 Girls Singles),

5. jump_smash

IT
    Yes a lot has changed. One of the biggest and best being the change from the old lino over concrete floor, to a sprung wooden one.

With the regard to the gym above it is full enclosed now, and the few times I have been there isn't being used that much. The have a new weights and aerobics facility out next to the toilets/change rooms, where the reception is now located.

6. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

i actually liked the old floor - very springy. it would be great to try the new floor, hopefully the next time i'm in town maybe in late february or whenever my friend is in town.

i'll give you a shout, and you never know, you might even know my friend!!

7. jump_smash

IT

You can give me a call anytime you drop by, I probably do know your friend. Really you prefer the old floor - I must be getting older, the new one is much better on my legs and knees.

8. DownUnderCock

Java Developer
    Had a chance to finally play at the UC badminton club, took me over an hour to get there by bus. You must be speaking of another group of "amazingly" friendly people, cos when i was there people tend to fairly much keep to their own groups. Couldn't get a hit on the "good" side of the hall and all the "good" players seem to not want to play with the new players. There are 8 courts but really only 6 playable ones as the other two have the basketball rings sticking rite above the middle of the court :crying:, which is where i spent most of my time :mad:. The only thing that got to me was that no one shakes hands after the game has finished. I'll try the Tuesday session, hopefully the "amazing" ppl are there.

I also played at Erindale, which has a better group of ppl, but charge abit more and there is abit of a breeze blowing across the court, maybe from the airconditioning, which i found quite funny :D. The floor was really good and easy on the feet. Even here no one likes to shake hands, maybe cos no one washes their hands after they go to the toilet, i've seen that happen a few times at work....:eek:

9. jump_smash

IT
    I am sorry you had a bad experience at UC. January can be a strange time for playing as some people tend to be away.

UC and ANU clubs can be quite different as the do not have organized games.

Tuggeranong, Hindmarsh and National all have organised and timed games. Unfortuanetly apart from UC and Tuggeranong, the other clubs start later in the new Year.

Canberra players tend to be less formal, than handshaking after every game.

Sorry I cannot be of any help, as I am still not playing at the moment because I am recovering from the eye operation. As of late last year, I usually play at UC on Sundays.

10. DownUnderCock

Java Developer
    There is nothing for u to be sorry about jump_smash you have taken the time and effort to reply to all my messages and for that i must thank you.

I will give UC another try hopefully, it will get better from here on in.

Still excited to play at ANU, i've heard good things about that place.

11. jump_smash

IT
    Okay, But don't be shy there! They are mostly students and you have to jump on a court! Talk to Dat, the organiser (he will be the one collecting the money).

As to UC, my friend Joe, should be back from Malaysia soon, he is one of the most friendly and polite guys around, also happens to be arguably one of Canberra best players.

12. DownUnderCock

Java Developer
    lol thanks for the advice mate, first time some one said i was shy :D. Just curious, but was Dat originally from Perth?

13. jump_smash

IT

I honestly don't know, he has been with ANU club for a long while, he has work at the ANU for quite a while too.

By the way, if you go to UC on Sundays and have trouble with games, talk to San-Neo (pronounced Sanyo), as she is UC President and can help (she only plays there on Sundays).

14. jump_smash

IT

I honestly don't know, he has been with ANU club for a long while, he has work at the ANU for quite a while too.

By the way, if you go to UC on Sundays and have trouble with games, talk to San-Neo (pronounced Sanyo), as she is UC President and can help (she only plays there on Sundays).

Regards

Stuart

15. pawpawsalad

pawpawsalad Regular Member

hey downundercock, how many times have you been to UC? I’m usually at UC on both sessions. i also play at ANU regularly. if you happened to be there next time just ask for the fat belly dude. I’m sure he’ll be more than welcome to give you some games with the boys. What is your level of play?

16. DownUnderCock

Java Developer
    Hi pawpawsalad,

I've played at UC once on a sunday, haven't been back. I've played at ANU once on a saturday and usually on Thursday nite with a group of friends. My level maybe high C grade. Oh and does the fat belly dude have a name, i dont want to offend the other fat belly dudes...jk. :D

17. pawpawsalad

pawpawsalad Regular Member

the fat belly dude is me lol. i'll be playing at ANU tomorrow and UC on sunday. i see you there if you can make it. remember ask for the fat belly dude. people will know who you are talking about....cheers

18. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

not the one and only Shuen Joe? now he is super nice guy, same goes for his wife (can't remember her name). have only met the kids once when the daughter was still in her baby seat. now they will probably whip my butt!

was wondering whether you have his contact details, preferably email address. thanks. :)

19. jump_smash

IT
    Yes they would beat you as currently ranked juniors in Australia. Haven't played them for a while. Just PM me.

Regards

Stuart

20. lwiew

lwiew Regular Member

Student
    Hey all,

I have two questions about badminton in Canberra:

1) Does anyone know whether the ANU badminton club still plays on Tuesdays? Or do they only play on Saturdays now? Also, what time(s) do the sessions run from when they do play?

2) Where do we all get our rackets restrung in Canberra? The strings on my favourite racket just broke and I'm coming to Canberra tomorrow, so yeah I'd like to get it fixed up. Any reliable stringers out there?

Thanks a bunch,