Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, but he's had that problem since I know him (2,5-3 years). The serve has vast potential for technical improvement - but I don't know how well he'll take it if I tell him that. I'll try in a training session next week, though ;)

Because they weren't grippy enough. The hall was not perfectly clean, so you kept getting dirt on them, and the floor is just a bit slippery even in perfect conditions. Wiping the sole both removes some dirt and because my hand is sweaty makes them a bit sticky with the moisture. I could also wipe them on my calves (in training, I often do), but those were too sweaty (would've made my shoes slippery again with too much moisture).
    Quite useful if you play on a slightly slippery floor :)

Thanks for the feedback :)

#1781 j4ckie, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, I'd start with getting the grips down correctly. Your forehand grip is turned too far towards panhandle, while your backhand isn't turned far enough towards the backhand grip. Also you'll need to keep the wrist either straight or flexed backwards on backhand shots, not flexed forwards as you currently do. The wrist contributes next to no power, and flexing it forwards is always risking injury in badminton or tennis.

Next would be footwork and overhead drills. You don't turn your body into overhead shots, which is probably one of the reasons you play with a (slight) panhandle grip. Watch some videos, practice the motions without a shuttle to get it down. A (good) coach would be most helpful as he can correct you while you learn, preventing you from learning faulty technique (and correcting is way harder than learning it correctly in the first place).
    Footwork should be done with a coach supervising as well - 6 corners without a shuttle. Get down the correct patterns, and use your left arm to keep your balance instead of keeping it in the same place all the time.

I think that's enough to work on for the next months ;)

PS: If you watch videos to learn, do NOT follow Coach Lee's advice on anything overhead. The rest I've seen is quite helpful, but anything he teaches about overhead shots is based on wrong technique (panhandle grip, no pronation).

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Even easier in training session. Just say you need to practice serves. Then when it's his turn, it'll be easy for him to notice. He's otherwise a very good player and this is his most glaring weakness that cost your side many points from what I see in the video.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The thing is that he'll basically need to re-learn the BH serve. The way he plays it it's practically impossible to get a good, accurate consistent low serve. Well, I'll just ask him :D
    Second weakness of his is the defensive play. He's always very committed to one side, cost us another couple points. My weaknesses are up for discussion ;)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, BH serve is very important in MD and is worth learning to do properly. The way I do it (and see pros do it) is to think of it not as hitting it over but *guiding* it over the net with a short grip.

And serves are the easiest shots to practice and drill... don't even need a partner, only a dozen birds and a court. :)

6. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

A serve is undoubtedly very important and deciding in a rally, especially in doubles. From my experience, I can be very consistent with BH low serves in training sessions but I found the biggest problem for me is when I feel under pressure, I tend to get easily fail to do it :(

In a deciding points, tournaments and any other tight/thrilling games, a mental strength and focus are more important to execute a good serve.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

^ During serve practice, I add pressure to myself by telling myself it has to be less than 2 inches over the net and within 4 inches inside the court in 6 consecutive serves. If not, then I repeat until I can get it right 6 serves in a row.

8. DRead

DRead Regular Member

Level 2 Coach
    It hurts you as a pair to have such a disparity with serving consistency, so I think you're definitely right to bring this up with him, just be tactful :p

I had the same thing with my doubles partner - however he was always aware his serve was dodgy, and we know eachother well off court so a few jokes about it pushed him in the right direction!

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, let's hope he takes it the right way ;) I actually saw him in training yesterday but just forgot to bring it up :D

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Another tournament with the same partner - didn't have a chance to bring up the service topic in training before, and it would've been too close to the tournament anyway to change it :D
    The match after the recorded one was actually a tad better, but this one was pretty decent too. Still getting my calves back to normal, Achilles tendon is faring much better now. Still not able to train as much as usual though :/

[video=youtube;wLi0arZZl_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLi0arZZl_Q[/video]

11. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    My singles match from the 2013 US Open GPG going on right now, round 64 main draw. Ended up loosing 21-19, 12-21, 17-21. The 2nd game he destroyed me he had a cannon of a smash and I was hitting way to short when clearing/lifting. 3rd game I had a 9 point come back from 8-18 to 17-18 but then just couldn't keep it going to finish out the match. Simple mistakes killed me the beginning of the 3rd.

I am the player in red in the video, starting on the far side.

Match Stats:

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/match.aspx?id=E85602DA-516F-49A4-A424-758B61B99048&match=78

[video=youtube;eJd8QSuPg64]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJd8QSuPg64[/video]

#1791 nbonkowsky, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  12. angelk8

angelk8 Regular Member

QA Engineer
    hi there... new in the forum... i just recently joined a tourney but i dont know if the video of me and my partner can help in other way around if i share it with you. we are in intermediate level only.
    but i also have video of mens double during their play in our last tourney.

happy to be part of the forum..

happy smashing!!!

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Actually linking a video would be a nice first step ;)

14. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Here's the second game which is focused on me playing.
    This match is against my older brother hahaha :)
    [video=youtube;xdpJtEfPaL4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdpJtEfPaL4[/video]

I'm the one playing in the black top and red shorts

15. angelk8

angelk8 Regular Member

QA Engineer
    Thanks j4ckie... ill try to upload it...
    Thanks....

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Dear drew tze en, some things I noticed.

At the beginning if you recieve a shop at the net area at the side of your racket hand, your back of the hand is facing upwards. That's infective. You must twist your arm too much and can't do a variation of netshots. If you hold you racket in this situation the other way, you can vary your shots more and do thinks like a crosscourt netdrop, crosscourt lift and deceptive shots.

IMO, you had to work a bit on your drop shot from the rear court. I seems that they are slow, travel to high over the net and land to deep in your opponents court.

Your Smash is good, but sometimes you get not really good angles and looks like the shuttle travel nearly to the backline. Maybe it's the position of the cam.

I think, that it was a relaxed game for you, because it doesn't seem that you are under pressure, because your opponent is weaker than you.
    Seeing you, the whole court incl. your opponent and a better opponent would be nicer to review, because we can say anything about your tatics, quickness etc. E.g. if you smash, I can't see if it's a good situation to finish the rally with a smash or the defence of your opponent is weak.

#1796 ucantseeme, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  17. angelk8

angelk8 Regular Member

QA Engineer
    Wow....hi ucantseeme..maybe you can also help us on how we can improve our play in the court on our video....

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

In order for people to help you, you have to upload sth first. When there's no video, we can't comment on it...

19. angelk8

angelk8 Regular Member

QA Engineer
    hi j4ckie.. i know im just having a hard time uploading it.... sorry!

20. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Ah, Thank you for commenting, I've been waiting for it

Drop shots aren't my forte, I have lots of trouble, trying to find right timing and do it consistently.
    I understand, I'll keep that in mind, when I'm recording other videos