Outdated Design???

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Wong8Egg, Aug 4, 2009.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    i will
    after i graduate:)

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- That's more important. The execution part...
    - Using the old banner could still work. IMO, there's no major difference between your banner and the old BC banner; after all it's just a banner. We can put the Search bar below the banner, non-intrusive of the banner. The quick links/tabs bar at the top can be re-located. We can even have them layed out on the sides.
    - What is a design that is "phased out over 1.5 yrs ago"? or one that is current?? or one that shows "1.5 yrs into the future?"...:confused:
    - I was referring to the layout sample, not going back to a portal type website. BC homepage as a discussion board can stay as is for now, but the layout could change. The example of that UCI website is just an option for the new BC layout.

#22 ctjcad, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  3. elastiekje

elastiekje Regular Member

> old vs new

Personally I don't see any purpose in re-introducing the 'old design' at a point in time where you have the opportunity to do something new and perhaps make things more attractive. There's something to be said about what constitutes 'more attractive', but I'll let others be the judge of that :rolleyes:. My last iteration certainly isn't a final draft yet!

The header that I attached to one of my earlier posts is the one that - I believe - was phased out when BC was turned into its current form: first and foremost a forum website. So either this is a form of linguistic miss-communication (might well be, I'm no native speaker, far from it ;)), or I value the introduction of a new design more than you do.

Of course that's true, I understand that. It's a good example of a portal website.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^New design of banner or layout or both??..^^

- IMO, there's no one better or one worse banner design. As long as the banner involves anything to do with badminton (old banner or your proposed design), that'll fly with me. Of course, how interesting, attractive or catchy it is, it will depend on the viewers' opinion.
    - Yes, the link you gave earlier was the last banner design for the (portal) site. It can be used for the current discussion forum format, can't it?? What does a "new design" involve? Simply a banner design? or a complete layout design? or both?..:confused:
    From Wong8Egg's 1st post, it seems the proposed change was only to the forum's banner/header??..
    Hmm, I don't think there's any miscommunication...:confused:

#24 ctjcad, Aug 9, 2009
  5. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

For the sake of variety I'd rather see a new banner personally. I don't know how many designers we have here, but in other forums logo/banner competitions have had quite a lot of entries (even if there is no prize other than to have your logo/banner used :p)!

Personally there are a few things I'd like to see:

- Layout centred on the page

- New banner

- New colour scheme to match the banner

Which is kind of like what we've seen so far anyway. Simple but effective.

I also think it could be a little wider. It seems to be 910px wide at the moment?? So somewhere between 800 and 1024. I know.... zero people who use 800x600 resolution now, so I don't see why it couldn't be stratched a bit to perfectly fit to a 1024x768 screen.

#25 phaarix, Aug 9, 2009
  6. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Changing the color scheme could be time-consuming, simply you have to update the property for every single element in the CSS. But maybe Kuwn can find some pre-themed template to borrow the css (maybe layout too). Then we can design the banner from there and on. I believe this would be the simplest way to change the look.

But yeah, I agree that simple is better and hopefully we can get something going soon. ;)

7. elastiekje

elastiekje Regular Member

> template

This seems to be the current css-file: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style-bff53486-00019.css. Doesn't look that impressive: notepad and Control+H can get you a long way :D.

Phaarix has a good point and it's something I already took into account with both versions of my proposal. I'd even consider going wider than the 1024 width, but I don't know what resolution the majority of users use. Kwun can probably tell us.

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Oh wow... if I'd known about ctrl H before I could have saved so much time :eek:. Thanks for the tip!

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

From the perspective of a web designer, I see several problems with this project:

• Design by committee
    • Lack of a clear agreement with the "client" (kwun)
    • Unclear goals (feature creep)

Speculation on whether kwun should return to running a portal site is futile. Unless the man himself says so, I think we can assume BC is not going back to portal content.

Personally, I think there are two main problems with the current setup:

• The banner "links" that don't actually work
    • The loss of old articles

The banner "links" are really confusing. It's just bad usability, and is surprising to see on such a popular site. The site doesn't necessary need a brand-new banner, but those "links" really should be removed.

It seems that the old articles were removed as a consequence of deciding not to produce (or syndicate) new ones. This is a bad decision. The old articles were worth keeping; there was no need to delete them.

10. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Having spent a lot of time looking at BC's CSS, trying to figure out how to centre and adjust the page with Stylish ... I can say that it's quite a headache in terms of columns, nested DIVs and browser compatibility. With that said, I think the latest generation of browsers are all pretty standards-compliant, with IE8 being a notable improvement over previous generations and IE6 dying out completely.

I would be in favour of a design overhaul.

#30 Destricto_Ense, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  11. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

All I'd like to see is the site centered and freshened up a bit. With a new design preferably, but a little polishing up here and there would be okay too!

IE6 is practically dead? I really hope so... IE6 really put me off web design a few years back...

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Just tried fiddling around with Stylish for the first time. It's pretty fun! If you figure out a way to get the site centered though, please let me know :).

13. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I have managed it, but it does result in some strange effects on centring other elements of the page ... like text in the post composition field. This is because I had to style the html tag since I couldn't figure out which DIV it was that I had to centre (the page content is in like 5 nested DIVs and even centring all of them had no effect...) I will PM the code to you :)