APACS fan club

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by clearng, Dec 13, 2006.

1. ExtremeCentral

ExtremeCentral Regular Member

Real Estate Salesperson (OTT)
    Yeh, am testing it now. Mine is strung with Yonex BG70 at 25lbs. Initially was not used to it as I was using the stiffer Edgesaber Z-Spark prior to trying this racket. Later on found that it suited me well as I'm able to control the lightness without stressing my minor shoulder injury any further. Yes its head heavy according to specs (300mm) but I didnt feel much as the racket feels feather light. I've another unused piece strung the same way if anybody wants it.

2. loneboy62

loneboy62 Regular Member

Is the pertama complex shop opened on Sunday? Bcz I have no free time to go on weekday.

3. samlb

samlb New Member

can anyone give me a bit of help working out which APACS racquet to get?

I'm basically an advanced beginner, play once a week. I'm looking for a fairly forgiving racquet that will help me generate power from the back of the court for smashes and clears.. so I was thinking something fairly flexible and head heavy, but overall quite light. I'm more of a wristy player than an arm strength player.

My budget is about £30-50/$50-80 or so. (tho I might be able to stretch to http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apacs-Tantrum...304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b4c854b0) if you thought it was a good option.

I'm basically looking at the models available in my price range on badmintonbay. ones that have caught my eye are:

Nano 900 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apacs-Nano-90...319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09e69ed7)
    Stern 78 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apacs-Stern-7...355?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0a8315ab)
    Edge Saber Slayer Gold (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apacs-EdgeSab...993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b53e1401)
    Slayer 550 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Apacs-Sla...782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0a5832de)
    Lethal 9 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apacs-Lethal-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09f912a4#shId)
    Stern 100 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apacs-Stern-1...797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0a5832ed)
    Tantrum Light (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apacs-Tantrum...304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b4c854b0)

But apart from the Tantrum Light I can't really tell the difference between any of these. I saw a post saying the Slayer 550 was quite stiff, which worries me because it's described as high flex on the ebay listing - makes me think these are all quite stiff?

Appreciate any help!

4. Fantasia

Fantasia Regular Member

Can anyone tell me what are the differences between Lethal 50 and Lethal 60?? I can't seem to find info about it :(

5. loneboy62

loneboy62 Regular Member

You are right, those rackets are really not much different, even the spec written we can diffentiate it but if you go to hold on the racket, I guess the feeling is the same. I personally tried 900Power, Lethal9 these two not bad, so depend on your choice.

6. loneboy62

loneboy62 Regular Member

Not much difference, the only thing i found out is L60 seems like can generate more power, but according to the spec, it is similar, so not sure why but that is the feeling when I tried in the game.

7. ziggy87

ziggy87 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    materials maybe?

8. Fantasia

Fantasia Regular Member

yo bro ziggy~~~
    but i see both use similar materials...

9. ziggy87

ziggy87 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    yooooo..lol
    err..marketting strategy? :D:p:rolleyes:

10. sxg2009

sxg2009 Regular Member

11. sxg2009

sxg2009 Regular Member

VH1700 vs L11 (cont.)

Here are some photos.

Attached Files:

12. sxg2009

sxg2009 Regular Member

Nano 9900 Power vs Lethal 11

they are different but both have Pros and Cons. choice in on you. here is my review -
    Nano 9900 Power - 24lbs BG65 (reduced to 23lbs)
    Power: 9/10
    Speed: 8/10
    Control: 9/10
    Stability and solid feel:7/10
    Defense: 9/10
    Lethal 11 -25lbs BG65
    Power:8/10
    Speed:10/10
    Control:7/10
    Stability and solid feel: 6/10
    Defense: 9/10
    NOTE: NANO 9900 Power is stiffer than L11. L11 is good for continuous attacking and back hand clear.

13. Fantasia

Fantasia Regular Member

just found 2 differences. L60's shaft is stiffer and the frame is stronger to support higher tension. may be that's all

14. ziggy87

ziggy87 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    wow..the L11 has a very thin frame

15. .spot.

.spot. Regular Member

Student
    Raquet Recommendation

Hi, I'm a lower intermediate and I'm looking out for a racket in the middle to higher range.
    Currently I got 3 Apacs in my mind:

AMP95
    Tantrum 200
    Lethal 70

I play approx. 70% doubles and 30% singles.
    I'm a powerful, agile player and play attack/counterattack mostly.
    At the moment, I'm working on improving smash precision. (I'm not shure how much my wobbly Yonex beginner racket plays into that.)
    Backhand clears in play not always full-court, yet. (depending on the situation)
    At the net, I like to do filigrane drop returns and sometimes deceptive shots, got a quite good feeling for that, because I came from fencing.

Which racket You think would suit me best? Please give some brief reason for Your recommendation. You can also suggest other rackets (Apacs) if You think none of the above fit.

Thank You, cant wait to order my new racket..:D

16. seldont

seldont Regular Member

Technical Architect
    Compare Stern 100, Lethal 7, Lethal 90, Tantrum 200 and Visible Hollow 2020

I thought I'd give an update to my original review of the Apacs rackets I've tried.

Note this is my opinion and others may have a very different view. Having hurt my shoulder I've added a new column, to indicate the effort I had to put in to get the best out of each racket.
    Since my original review I've acquired another Apacs racket the Visible Hollow 2020 (based on reviews saying it causes less shoulder strain by reducing vibrations).

Here are my conclusions:

The Stern 100 is a good racket - it doesn't take much effort to use, has no major flaws, but has no outstanding features.
    The Lethal 7 is a strange beast. It feels very lightweight and a little fragile particularly if you miss the sweet spot, I find it very poor in defense however its speed and flexibility make it incredibly Powerful. In an effort to improve control/defense I decided to get it restrung at a higher tension. The result didn’t really help my control – it just made it sound more impressive whilst increasing the effort needed to play each shot. This is a racket I would choose for singles but for me it doesn’t have enough control for doubles.

Having read other reviews I was convinced that the Lethal 90 would be the racket for me, but when I got my hands on it – I just couldn’t get on with it. Yes it’s powerful with great stability but I found I had to put in a lot of effort to get the best out of the racket and ended up with a shoulder strain. When I got it, I imagined it would be like The Lethal 7 but with stability and control, however this racket is very different – it’s very stiff and just seems to require too much effort. I probably won’t keep this one.

The Tantrum 200 is a great powerful racket and for me is the ultimate racket for defense and control – enough said.

I was half expecting the ‘visible hollow’ to be just a gimmick, however I found the Visible Hollow 2020 to be an incredible racket!
    For me it has the power and speed of the Lethal 7 with much of the stability and control of the Tantrum 200 whilst being very easy to use.
    It seems to have an extra large sweet spot and is very good in defense. The only down side of this racket if you can call it a downside was needing to concentrate on long serves and clears - it’s very easy to hit the shuttle out of court!
    My style is an equal mix of power and placement – I’m not an all out attacking player.
    For doubles my first choice of racket is now the VH2020 closely followed by the Tantrum 200.
    For singles it depends on the opponent. If I’m expecting to dominate the game I would go for the VH2020 with a second choice of either the Lethal 7 or Tantrum 200; however If I’m expecting to be on the back foot (Having to defend more) then my first choice would be the Tantrum 200.

I keep the Stern 100 in my bag mainly to lend to anyone who needs to borrow a racket - it's no dud but my other rackets are better. It’s also a racket I use when playing doubles paired with a beginner (This racket is a good work horse that can withstand the odd clash).

As mentioned in many other reviews there is no ‘perfect’ racket – it depends on your environment, the type of game being played and what works for you.

Having said that, here are my ratings for each racket:
    apacs_review.jpg

17. sxg2009

sxg2009 Regular Member

VH2020 got more score than T200!

18. seldont

seldont Regular Member

Technical Architect
    The Visible Hollow 2020 works for me!

I can generate more power with the VH2020 with the minimum of effort.
    I have more control and can defend better with the Tantrum 200.

I wouldn't part with either of them but the VH2020 is not everyones choice - I got mine second hand.

19. .spot.

.spot. Regular Member

Student
    @seldont
    wow thanks for the extensive review.

do you know if the lethal 90 is near the lethal 70 in qualities? (better to handle/worse?) price issue here.

20. sxg2009

sxg2009 Regular Member

Currently VH1700 is my to go racquet and feel the same about what you have said for VH2020. I am planning to buy T200 (for doubles) and L60. Now I am not sure if L60 will be useful or not. Did you try AT900 power?