Singapore Foreign Talent... Are they helping the country?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by alvinalvin, Jan 14, 2009.

1. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Singapore saloon did a very good job then.. can u recommend which saloon did these players go?

I wish to have the same hair like them... thanks

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Show me a photo first lah.

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Asian Giants (in soccer) is quite an oxymoron...

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Our local S-League is really not that bad as even teams from Japan, Korea, China, Australia and elsewhere have participated or are participating in it. Recently even Malaysia has applied to send a team but all the slots were taken up.

Now tell me who is trying to rub shoulders with whom? :):D:D:D

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Peter Lim urges fair process in Liverpool FC bid

(Now this is what Spore wants to do - to rub shoulders with one of the top clubs in the world.)

Channel NewsAsia
    13 October 2010 2129 hrs

SINGAPORE - Singapore billionaire Peter Lim on Wednesday called for a "fair process" in the bid for Liverpool as he welcomed London's High Court decision clearing the way for the sale of the English football giant.

The businessman, who this week made an improved offer of 320 million pounds (507 million US dollars) plus 40 million pounds for investment in players, said he hoped Liverpool's board would consider all bids when it convened later in the day.

Mr Lim's offer is up against the 300-million-pound bid tabled by US-based New England Sports Ventures (NESV), the owners of baseball's Boston Red Sox.

"I hope that when the board is reconstituted tonight that it will not simply ratify a sale to NESV but will consider all the offers before them," Mr Lim said in a statement.

"I am asking the board to run a full and fair process that enables all of the offers to be considered on their merits before the future of the club is decided," he added.

Welcoming the court's decision, Mr Lim said: "The way is now clear for the board to sell the club. I have delivered my offer to the board and believe that my ownership represents the best option for the future of the club and its supporters."

Liverpool owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks on Wednesday lost a legal bid to block the sale of the club after London's High Court granted injunctions brought by the club's major creditors.

Justice Christopher Floyd rejected Hicks and Gillett's request to halt sale negotiations.

Hicks and Gillett, who took over the club in 2007, claimed that the English members of Liverpool's board -- chairman Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre -- had not acted in the best interests of the club.

Broughton said a board meeting would be held later Wednesday but refused to confirm the board would formally rubber-stamp the sale to NESV.

- AFP/ir

Peter Lim (Forbes picture)

Attached Files:

6. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    trhkg1352301%5f51426%5ffull-lnd.jpg
    Poland National Football Team

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Aiyoh, Poland team has so many players with black hair!

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You must be joking, trying to make a demotion as a great promotion for Singapore soccer.
    The Asian Football Confederation Champions League is the highest level in which Asia's best 32 clubs plus 2 lower-level clubs who come through from playoffs are included. Singapore has in the past come through as one of the lower-level playoffs qualifier but it did not do well, hence it "backed" off before being kicked out.
    How can you compare Singapore's league champions with the likes of Kore'a Pohang Steelers, Japan's Gamba Osaka, Adelaide United, Al-lttihad?
    Do you know that the champions get to play in the FIFA Club World Cup and the prize money is in the millions (US$)?
    In comparison, why be so "kia su"? It will be better to be humiliated in the Asian Champions League than to be called "chicken" by running away?

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    2009 Asian champions Pohang Steelers came third in the FIFA Club World Cup with Barcelona crowned world club champions and South American champions Estudiantes second.
    How does the Singapore S-League compare? I hope Loh is not trying to convince everyone, which he appears to unashamedly, that the S-League is in a league of its own and a class act over the FIFA Club World Cup level. Please don't belittle clubs like Barcelona, Inter Milan, Pohang Steelers.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I don't like to compare, it was you who try to stir things up by making useless comparisons, not only here but elsewhere. Trouble is that you try to be "kay kian" all the time.

As I have hinted, what's so great about Asian football and the world rankings are there to prove it.

11. heqingbluesky

heqingbluesky Regular Member

Many sports in developed countries face this dilemma since some of people born in local don't want to take this sport as a career.
    It require too much energy and sacrifice for the personal sake.

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    If table tennis can do it, I am sure badminton can too. So, who is in charge of doing this? Perhaps, SBA should get the TT head to lead? ;)

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Table tennis still can't beat the MIGHTY china la..:D LOL

14. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

WC2010 Women Team... China Team 2 (representing Singapore) beat Team 1.

I take a very pragmatic view about development. We could have tried to re-invent semi-conductors in the mid 70's or encourage foreign investments to help us. We took the easier (more pragmatic) route. It is not unlike how Thomas Friedman argued that "The World is flat". The fastest way to improve is to learn/adapt from people out there who are already successful.

I'm proud that Singapore is humble enough to accept that there are folks out there that does TT and badminton much better than us and we should learn from them. In fact, we went one step further to open the doors to infuse these talents into our society. The benefit is that we get an instant boost in specific performance that will, hopefully, bring up the local standard -- that which must be the long term objective.

What I am not happy with is that there is not enough presence of locals (as an effect). I will be even less happy though if there are any sort of protectionism like system imposes any quota of sort based on specific demography. Fortunately, the system is still largely meritocratic and local players have specific indirect advantages at least in terms of family support and exit should they not perform well in the sport. For those who choose to excel in those sports, what this presents is a frequent exposure to competition at a higher level than previously possible.

Afterall, the competition should be in the world stage and we just made it flatter.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Can't agree more. :)

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I can see many younger students keen in coaching. But, what I can see is not many will take the professional path. The hunger is just not there when there are better opportunities or easier ways to make money. ;) The physical (then later mental) is just to difficult to handle. However, there's still 1 or 2 who will try like what we see at the moment. Good on them. ;) The really have to slog hard to reach world physical level. ;)