How long do your strings last?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ttktom, Oct 15, 2003.

?

how long does your string last you?

1. less than 2 weeks.

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. 2 weeks - 1 month

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. 1-2 months

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. 2-3 months

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. 3-6 months

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. more than 6 months

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    And what tension.

It depends for me on how long they last. sometimes They are good, and last for a month or two, sometimes they last less than a week (however these are the ones which I have miss hit).

Basically for me, it seems to be whether I mis-hit or not. I usually warm up with a racket strung at much less tension (22lbs) as this will be fine until I get the feel for the lights/my arm warms up, then once warm, I use my playing tension racket)

I use tension of 26-28lbs, and SOTX strings (sometimes BG-65)

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Nowadays my strings breaks at least once a month. I only play once or twice a week , maximum 3 times a week.

3. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Looks to me like they are Yonex BG65 Titanium. These are supposed to have better endurance than the strings I had previously I think. Rough guess but I believe tension was probably 23lbs.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I play roughly 10-15 hrs a week, and consider myself more on the "weak" side, but 65TI (23lb) could only last me for 2 months, compare to BG85 (22lb) for 1 month. One of my long time "customer" plays about 6-10 hrs per week, and BG65Ti (23-24lb, Red!!! :mad: ) only lasts him about 1 month. Therefore, I think ur case is fairly normal.

5. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    I play around 18 hours a week.

I've only had my strings break twice. Once after 5-6 months. The other one after a year.

Of course, another fact as to why strings probably don't seem to break so often is because I'm assuming most of us restring before it happens as some strings tend to lose tension fast.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Wow... 18 * 52 = 900+ hrs :eek: The longest one I know is a friend using BG65 @ 21lb, 3-4 hrs a week, and it lasted him about 10 months.

Which string is that??? tension???

7. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    !! You guys get short lifespans on your strings.. maybe im just weak ^_^

Hmm.. depending on the week and my various outside environment, i get from 4-18 hours a week of badminton, i can't really gauge my average that well. I use bg65 at 26 or 27 lbs. My strings last until im fed up with them usually. I take about 3-4 months to cut them because of the tension, unless i buy a new racket with fresh strings :) I haven't popped any strings really lately, maybe im getting a bit better at hitting the sweet spot ?

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    He did of course says he had never broken them, he may of course cut them and restring.

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Woop, that tension and string should not snap that often, the only thing I can think of is do you scrape the string on the floor on one of the grommets when you pick up the shuttle off the floor? If so the string will be getting worn down off the floor especially if the surface is abraisive.

I use gut and the problem is that the tension just goes without warning or the sweetspot goes fluffy and after a while your racket is your new pet. Some restrings last months and some just days depending on the batch of string.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you play a lot of chops-fast sliced drop shots or cut half-smashes-your strings will also wear faster. You should change your strings when they start to show some wear, like the outer string shield/layer wearing off, instead of waiting for the strings to snap completely.

11. KENMINTON

KENMINTON Regular Member

UNSW STUDENT
    my string break at least once a week. :(

12. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Yonex BG65 (0.70mm gauge) - about 2 months (three times a week, 3 hours each time)

Proace New Imperial 0.67 (0.67mm gauge) - about 2 weeks (same intensity)

Never tried any other strings.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Where do the strings usually break?

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    BG-65 (HK) lasts me about 3 months on the Ti-10. The original tension was PT 28 lbs - spring tension machine. I did a lot of sliced fast drops and cut smashes, so the string's outer layer frayed 2 months. A mishit finally did it in the third month. I took a risk and got another BF member to utilize his drop weight machine. I asked for CT 28 lbs for the BG-65 Ti. It's been 1.5 months and the string and racquet are holding up so far.

15. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Sometimes it's really hard to say...

If you had 2-3 (same) racquets w/ the same string & tension, use one for feather, other for plastic, and the 3rd (chipped & beat-up) one when playing against newbies...

...each racquet will be restrung at a different time interval based on how frequent you use the racquet and how hard you play.

Cheers!

16. crosstrainer

crosstrainer Regular Member

IT consultant
    hehehe. i don't really recall breaking my strings. ever. :D

i play about 4x a week, 3hours per session. 24lbs tension.

17. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    i once said my strings pop every few months... but now that has been revised :(

I popmy strings in about 2-3 weeks per racket, its hard to gauge because i switch off between my two rackets. Both are strung at 27-29lbs with bg-65. I play really often now though, so thats probably the reason for popping the them so often. I play about... 6 times a week? Maybe more, less, i don't know. I play an offensive style btw. Stringing is expensive, but im too scared to string my own rackets at high tension :(

18. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    when u say how long the strings last? do u mean until the string actually pops, or until they show wear and tear??

because i've had a racquet for about 4 years and the string on it is still going strong

19. karramella

karramella Regular Member

student*sigh* unfortunately
    do the strings pop because they've been used too much or do they pop because they're old? and how do you know if they're gonna pop or not:confused: . i've had bg70pro for almost 2 month and it seems to be alright. i can't tell if the tension is lower or not... how can you tell?? btw it seems to me badminton is a very costly sport- equipment, stringing, tournament fees, accesories, and lessons...:p

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Both, strings will have wear from usages, and you can take a close look on them and you should be able to find the wear (if you have used it enough).

Badminton is a very costy sport indeed, the most costing thing I guess would be shuttles. :)