40 year old newbie needs your help!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by migthythor, Jan 12, 2012.

1. migthythor

migthythor Regular Member

government employee
    in order to ask a question more efficiently in this Techniques/Training forum, and in order for others to answer your question more efficient and accurately, you need to do the following :

before you start a thread, do a search and see if there is an existing thread on what you are trying to ask. if so, read it and follow up on that thread if you have questions.

if you do reply or start a new thread, make sure you specify the following:
    • your level of play, beginner/intermediate/etc.
    • your physical built, male/female, age, tall/short, weak/strong
    • what are you trying to achieve / learn? please give specific objectives if possible.
    • what have you tried? what was the result?
      • did you have any particular difficulties in performing a certain part of the technique?
      • how is the outcome not as good as you expected?
    also, please keep in mind the following:
    • be specific in what you ask. questions like "how to improve my footwork?" without any more specifics will require the length of a book to answer. instead, find a specific aspect in which you want improvement.
    if you are a beginner, read this thread:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=20867

and make sure you are not starting on the wrong path.

if you follow this guideline, it will make it much easier for others to help you.

Shalom to Everyone!

They say that life begins at 40. I say my badminton life begins at 40!
    I need all your help guys...

Level of Play: Beginner( First time to ever play badminton)

Physical Built: very fat, male, 40yrs old, 5'4inches, slow to move

What are you trying to achieve/learn? First, to reach my BMI weight of 65kgs.
    Second, to reach class A on my age bracket.

What have u tried? What was the result? I tried to learn the basic foot works and grips for almost a week now before playing my ever first game just this night. the result was that i forgot all about it by the time i played.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a week cannot make a champion. people much younger with higher learning ability takes months, years to learn and perfect their technique. and likely someone as old as you and I will never be able to learn some of them.

it is not uncommon to forget about what one practiced during a game. that happens to everyone.

footwork is especially hard as well, so keep practicing, keep watching videos, doing shadow drills, find someone to feed you birdies one by one instead of in a game. with hardwork, you will get it.

3. migthythor

government employee
    Thanks Sir Kwun!
    Yes, il keep on practicing, keep watching videos and the like. Indeed hardwork and persistence is the key. And with the BC supporting me, in due time il achieve my goals!

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's it!

it is hard. badminton is hard work, actually. looks easy but in reality, very very hard. but as long as one understands that and keep working at it, you will reach your goal and along the way, you will have lots of fun and meet a lot of new friends as well.

do come and update us with your progress and ask any questions.

5. BadHustle

BadHustle Regular Member

kimpetai
    First, Don't have and Completely Erase the Police Fat Attitude! The Term couldn't be familiar and offensive to you but for those got that mistake gives the Best Advice!
    Second, would be Exercise Warm Up before the Game!
    Third, Don't Try to Hard to be a Hero at Once, the Consequences can be Very Damaging! Just Play at your Humble Professional Happy Pace!
    Fourth, Don't Outrage to Others when Things Don't Happened in Your Dreams and Ways!
    Conclusively Surely at the Safe Side, have a Dignified Physical Medical Examination First Before All These! ;):cool::D

6. migthythor

government employee
    Indeed you're very much right Sir Kwun that badminton is hard work and it looks easy until you yourself experience it! In fact if i first played it before i discover BC and started practicing the basics like footwork and grip a week ago, i would have just quit...

BC with its forums, videos and information served as my coach in overcoming my first problem which is quitting...

With these in mind, im now asking for your help in regards in choosing my first racket and shoes.
    With budget and durability in mind, im thinking of getting a Yonex NanoRay20 for my racket and Yonex ShB43ex for my shoes. I would highly appreciate your inputs and other suggestions.

Keep on Smashing!

7. migthythor

government employee
    Thanks for the enlightening advise Sir BadHustle:D

I already had my dignified Med. Examination, for the most part its ok only my cholesterol level is higher than normal.
    Indeed things didn't happen the first time i played, but i kept my cool. I only shared it here because i know people like would understand and advise me what to do:)
    Bottom line would be that im taking and following your advise to the letter because i know it will lead me in achieving my goals!

Keep on Smashing!

8. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    good luck! :)
    I was 121 kgs before and now 107 ( lost 15 kgs gained 1 kg because of Christmas lol..)
    so I know how it feels to become fat and slow.

believe me if you have good footwork you will feel as fast as lightning!
    I felt that first time last year
    good footwork = fast movement around the court

learning grip is important and then learn how to do proper shot

invest some of your money on shoes
    it improves my game play (compared to buying new rackets)

buy proper racket, at least graphite
    try some inexpensive brand such as apacs (you can find a good deal on Ebay such as US $60 for 2 graphite racket)

9. visor

visor Regular Member

re shoes: many people suggest, if you're on the heavier side ie. over 200lbs, to not get badminton shoes but basketball shoes instead, like the latest nike kobes

because normal badminton shoes won't provide cushioning for your wt as much as basketball shoes

just fyi

10. migthythor

government employee
    Thanks Avenger!

Its good to know that someone in my weight class:D has conquered the battle of the bulge!
    it serves as an inspiring example to me in achieving my goals.

Could you share your workouts and meal plan, so that i can pattern it to suit my situation.TIA

keep on smashing
    migthythor

11. migthythor

government employee
    Thanks Visor!

Your recommendation would be into consideration seriously.

12. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

looking at your goal, you can try doing extra cardio workout on top of your baddy training.

best advise i can give is to focus and keep your eye on the shuttle

just practise hitting to each other first then use a "dead" shuttle and just practise hitting against the wall.

also go to youtube and search for the BWF channel. they have the new program on coaching "shuttle time" i think its called

13. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

i agree with the shoes part, but not basketball shoes bc they have higher ankle support which limites ur feet movement and can actually cause injuries or calluses around ur ankle. try regular runners or tennis shoes that are low in ankles but also have added sole padding.

if you have access to weights, add them into your badminton program. strength training is actually a great way to lose weight because it burns more calories and brings definition faster to ur muscles. u don't need to do them everyday, just 2 times a week for 15min will bring u measurable results in a month.

also if you're heavy, moving around the court can add extra stress on ur knees. to this i'd suggest getting some decent knee braces just as precautionary. the stop-go movements in badminton can be very stressful on ur lower body joints.

finally i just wana say keep playing badminton on a regular basis. try to push urself while maintaining proper form and not over stress ur joints and muscles. badminton is a great sport to get into shape. I've known at least 2 or 3 friends that did lose weight and their beer belly by playing badminton over a period of 2 years or so...

14. migthythor

government employee
    Thanks Moomoo!

il do what you have suggested...
    thanks for sharing the bwf channel:D

15. migthythor

government employee
    Thanks Capnx!

yes, il try to buy tennis shoes with extra sole padding and at the same time get some decent knee braces.

as for the weights, would dumb bells would do? what would you suggest for my strength training?

indeed i would keep on playing badminton for the more i play, the more i love the game!

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Footwork: Think of our balance first, before our steps taken in order to move

I would like to add this tip for Footwork;

Think of our balance first, before of our steps taken in order to move.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

good advice, move with balance foremost

but i think i heard it from txh some 20 years ago... :p :)

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Hail, migthythor!

Many overweight people are also very graceful dancers! Are you one? :)

Since you've just made it to the 40's club, you need to be aware that the body takes longer and protests more for every recovery from abuse. So please be careful, cautious, and stay within your boundaries in terms of what you attempt. Better safe than sorry...

You mentioned a cholesterol issue. Please consult with your doctor/physician about how much high-cardio exertion you can afford to do, if you have not already seen your doctor...

As others have said, make sure you warm up properly, and after your game, please make time for some stretching routines.

Try skipping exercises to improve mobility and coordination. Do as much as you can, or your doctor will allow you...

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    You have been to TXH's thread

Hahaha... You have been to TXH's thread. :D:D:D

20. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

Hmmm... You're starting very late yet rather ambitious. It's going to be very difficult for you to reach class A for your age bracket because there are many people in your age group that have been playing for over 10 years.

If you want to get any better at this game, you'll need proper training. Don't buy expensive rackets, use the money for training instead. If you're in the Makati area, I can help you.