*New! Adidas Badminton

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by derrickn, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matshuker

matshuker Regular Member

CEO
    Hi Demolidor and others,

Hopefully I can help clarify the position on some of the points raised in your post. I am the owner of Customworqs and have also recently taken on a Marketing role launching adidas Badminton into the UK and Ireland. Customworqs and adidas use separate factories, they do not use the same carbon, and there has been no crossover in the development or production of rackets between the two companies. The adidas proposition is very broad catering for the performance player right the way through to those just getting started. Customworqs is niche, offering only custom built top end rackets.

With regard to your comment on shuttles adidas has developed its own range of synthetic and feather shuttles. Dunlop are part of the SportsDirect group, not adidas.

In the short time I have been in my role working with adidas Badminton I’ve been hugely impressed with the product range developed by our Japanese engineers and the investment in R&D and believe it to be a massive positive step for our sport.

Hope this helps.

Mat (aka Eddie Hang)

2. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

You'll kill adidas badminton saying you're involved ;) Jimmy Saville is trusted more round these parts than you it seems. When can we expect to see adidas badminton hit the UK?

3. matshuker

matshuker Regular Member

CEO
    Very funny f1rst, not my problem that some forumers don't like hearing the truth!;) Besides you should be happy there's badminton passion behind the brand rather than a Wilson lets try and shoehorn tennis into badminton! The UK range will be launched to trade early February 2013 with product on shelf in July / August. Should be good!

4. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

The good thing about adidas is they have the financial power to go at badminton seriously and I think us, the customers, will benefit because of that. I'm a big fan of adidas clothing already, yonex stuff looks like a boob tube on my 6'4' frame so the prospect of a full adidas badminton range really excites me. Put me in the adidas fanboy category.

5. phili

phili Regular Member

I really like the shirts they posted on facebook. Not too boring but not too much as well.

6. matshuker

matshuker Regular Member

CEO
    I agree. The apparel range is first class. When I heard they were coming into badminton, I was concerned it would be an indoor range of product which they would try and position as badminton. Not the case at all, everything has been developed specifically for badminton. They've also decided against third party distributors in key markets (UK being one) and gone with setting up their own subsidiaries - can only be good for badminton as demonstrates long term commitment to the sport.

7. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

So there products will be sold by them direct and not through central sports/direct sports for example? Have you had a swing with any rackets?

8. matshuker

matshuker Regular Member

CEO
    All through retailers. What I mean by subsidiaries is that it will be their own people selling and marketing adidas badminton rather than asking a third party distributor to do this who isn't employed by adidas badminton and who probably also distributes other brands to retailers. Yep I've had a swing, my pick of the range is the adizero pro. Quality is top notch as you would expect.

9. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

Any inside info / mini review on how the adipower pro and adizero pro play? And any hint at rough UK prices?

10. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    Exciting news! I absolutely love the apparel from Adidas (most of my training shirts are from Adidas), so it's nice to see them coming with a special badminton line. An understated style and sharpness. I believe Pi Hongyan was sponsored by Adidas (or even the entire French team). Yes, I'm really looking forward to it!

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Great info from matshuker. This is getting exciting. Tell us more!!

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hey all,

through some connections (thanks, you know who you are! ;) ), i got a channel into the masterminds behind Adidas' venture into the badminton market.

before i talk to them, i'd like to gather some questions from BC members here. what questions do you want to ask Adidas about their new badminton products? why? what? when? etc. etc.

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Why enter the market now?
    Is this a fully committed effort?
    What sort of market share are they targeting for the next couple of years?
    Is their brand identify coupled with their money the main reasons if this is a successful launch?
    Will their prices be competitive in comparison with other leading (and more established) badminton brands?

14. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

1. What technologies are they going to bring into the rackets and apparel especially shoes?

15. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    - What seperates them from the other established brands
    - Which steps are they going to make to introduce Adidas in the world of badminton

(and: can they sponsor me ;) )

16. matshuker

matshuker Regular Member

CEO
    F1rst come on, are you trying to lead me up the garden path? ;) Having just told you I'm working for adidas and then to give a mini review = lots of negative posts from the BC tuff crowd. No I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the official review from Kwun (which I'm sure he will do at some point) or the opinions from those not linked to adidas badminton. What I can tell you is that, in my opinion, players are going to get a lot for their money.

17. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Kwun,

Ask about their shuttlecocks and how they compare against Yonex AS50 - the 'gold standard' ? Durability, flight, consistency and the all important PRICING !

18. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Unlike other established brands such as Yonex and Victor who started off as a small local company and grew larger and larger to what they are now, Adidas is basically entering as a big boy. While there are still many small brands struggling and fighting to take a share of the left-overs from Yonex and Victor, Adidas is like baking their own pie and not worrying about who will steal a share from them, because they have more than enough cash generated from their other well-established business to support and grow this baby.

My questions to Adidas are:
    1. WHY badminton??

2. how big do they see badminton compared to football?? they might say badminton is estimated as just 5% of what they are earning in football. but i want to know, even they are laughing at my question.

3. as for Adidas, when money is no subject to a new business, what limitation do they face in taking over the badminton market? How do they see Adidas in badminton 5 years later? Will they work with or even acquire any existing brand to reduce cost and competition in the long run?

thanks Kwun!!

#178 winstonchan, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  19. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    are they targetting any national sponsorship?

thanks kwun.

20. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    1. What will be their approach and how will the players benefit from their "late" entry?
    2. Will they concentrate on shoes and apparel only?
    3. Since Badminton players are one of the most under-payed sportspersons in the world, will a "cash-rich" company like Adidas change that by bringing in more money in to the sport, offering lucrative deals and higher tournament packages?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.