A new form of badminton "Tai Chi badminton"

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by footimy, Aug 10, 2008.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Pls do not derail an interesting discussion. We can ask more questions or discuss so that we can either learn more or learn nothing new. Even if you disagree with what is discussed here, let us be a bit more constructive.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

A quick move to kill off a net shot with a dab requires a 'floating footwork'. If you use a 'stick to the ground' footwork you will miss the opportunity to put this shot away, and will instead have to make do with a net stab or tumble or even forced to lift.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

Hmm, since that you are also an expert in Tai Chi badminton, can you describe in detail how to do each of the styles described - how the preparation is done, how you switch the 'modes' between the two, how do know when to use or another, etc...

As an example like you explained, a 'dab' (?) using 'floating footwork' - suppose the opponent by chance returns the shuttle to the baseline, say backhand side, what footwork ('floating' vs 'stick to the ground') should be used and how?

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

No, I am not into Tai Chi badminton at all. I am just intrigued by Footimy's description about Tai Chi badminton.
    Re your 2nd para, if the opponent returns your dab net shot towards your baseline, then your execution of the 'floating footwork' was not fast or good enough and probably too late or too slow in execution. Depending on the speed of your opponent's return you are not likely to get to the shuttle. This often happens to players with slow footwork (lack of 'floating footwork') and/or poor use of the wrist for his or her dab at the net. This is Footimy's area. He may have something different to say.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

Oops, I assumed you were also an expert on Tai Chi badminton since you are explaining how to use the 'floating' and 'stick to the ground' footwork. :eek: But, from your last sentence - it seems to me that you are not familiar with the Tai Chi badminton concept at all?? :confused::rolleyes:

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Come on people, let's keep a lid on the taneepak-baiting. ;) I know it's a fun hobby sometimes, but you can have too much of a good thing. :D

This discussion is just starting to get interesting, since footimy has kindly supplied some more specific ideas. As taneepak said, let's not derail it with mockery.

#86 Gollum, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  7. viver

viver Regular Member

Only those that are willing do take the bait...;)

Apart from this small detail, I am also interested on more details from Footimy regarding the application of his new found concept/theory as well.

8. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Yes, I also look forward to more specific details of footimy's theory. Theories from Asian people are very intriguing, but normally difficult to learn, since they often lack details (I am Asian too :) ). So please share us more about your method.

9. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    Yes I saw Han Jian's footwork. He is more to floating game and he can control his shot well.

10. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    yes, exactly, most of the Chinese using floating footwork and most of Indonesian are using stick to the ground.

11. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    I want to share some of my experience with you all. When I was 17 I was in final with an older person in one of the local tournament. My opponent was 22 years old ex-Malaysia Badminton Academy player, on the paper he's strength far beyond me.

Before the final match, I had an issued with my Girlfriend, I saw her sitting so close and talking with her ex and we had a fight, and I assume that we already broke up and my heart was broken. So in the middle of the fight, my name was announced and I rushed entered the court without any preparation.

At the beginning of the match, my mind was empty and my heart was so hurt. i didn't have any intention to fight in the match because my mind and heart was distracted. I was standing in the middle of the court waiting to be "slash", as the game begin, surprisingly my body move automatically, I had no idea what happened to me, all my movement and footwork was unusually better and my shot was accurate, but in the same time my heart was broken and my mind was blank. My body moved by itself!! My shot was ordinary but my reaction was so fast.

At that time 7 point scoring system was used and the match was based on 3 best game. Surprisingly, with no intention to win I lead the game 2-1 at that time the score was 6-3 one more point to match point. The serve was mine, just before I serve, a very pleasant voice coming from behind yelled: "I Love You and I'm sorry", after that moment I was like snaped from a nightmare, I woke up and realize it was my match point, my heart was not hurt anymore and I'm back to the game! Ironically I lost 3-2.

After the game my opponent told me, it's liked "playing with a different person". From that moment I understand something very useful:

-our efficient movement is control by our semi-conscious mind, and fuel by our heartbeat, the more blood pumped to our brain the efficient our reaction time is.

- the reason why we always deceit by our opponent is because our conscious mind. The conscious mind says "where the shot will be next!?", your unconscious mind says "let me do the job, please!". Our conscious mind should concentrate on strategy not reaction (what people call it motor skill).

- Tai Chi style is a very useful to boost performance!

#91 footimy, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  12. carlo

carlo Regular Member

Wait a second. Is floating footwork what the Chinese call 滑步 huabu? If so I've heard of this many times. Though I'm not really sure what is the difference between 'floating' and 'non-floating', as I think I was only taught one type, or at least the difference was never explained/made explicit by my coach/teachers.

13. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

What a great movie idea! Have you thought about a title for your movie yet? How about "Kung Fu Badminton"?:rolleyes: But before you get all excited about your movie, do you mind explaining why the heck would your "girlfriend" 's ex show up in your match? I think if people are going to pay to watch a movie, it has to at least make some sense, you know.

Want to hear my version? Here it is:

Just a few days ago, I had a match with Lin Dan to determine who is the "real" world #1 badminton player. I had this one old perverted looking old man sitting besides XXF during the first set, and I beat LD easily with a score of 21-2, then unfortunately the old man had diarrea in the middle of the second set, and I then got owned afterwards. Before the old man came back from the washroom, I already lost badly 21-11, 21-0. :rolleyes:

With regards to your "floating" footwork, do you suggest we practice by walking on water? I heard a very famous person was able to do it and it impressed a lot of people... are you that good as well?:rolleyes:

#93 bananakid, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Bananakid, let it be even if what you read is beyond your understanding. Your sarcastic bite is uncalled for; and your own version is a no brainer.

15. viver

viver Regular Member

Can you identify some examples of Chinese players using mostly floating footwork and Indonesian players using stick to the ground footwork. Reason for asking this is, I don't see current Indonesian players (since the 90's) footwork being different from Chinese players.

16. viver

viver Regular Member

Well, not only Bananakid, but Footimy's explanation is also beyond me. But if that worked for him that's great. If that could work on me, I don't know and I have serious doubts that it will.

I always go into tournaments prepared with a game plan against my opponent. But I never went into a match against any opponent without any intention to play and to win.

In Footimy's experience, he went into the court against an assumably superior player and had no intention to play, and yet he was playing and moving like he was never before.

I don't see the relationship here between Tai Chi and badminton. I don't know Tai Chi enough to discuss, but would like to see the concepts that will distinguish the Tai Chi badminton from, say the Chinese school of badminton.

For example, in Chinese school of badminton it says the play is based on determination, skills, speed, power, accuracy. What are then the principles/concepts in Tai Chi badminton that distinguish it from the Chinese school of badminton (or other schools of badminton, i.e. Danish, Korean, etc), may I ask?

17. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I wonder what'd happen if LCW got dumped by WMC right before the MS finals at OG2008. :D

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

That will have a change in his state of mind, which will affect his game for either the better or worse. In competitive sports the mind or state of mind is very important.
    If you play table tennis you will understand. The ability to stay relaxed, in mind and in all your body tissues, can enable you to smash impossible shots and to defend and counter-attack at lightning speed with confidence and ease. But once your mind goes into a seizure, especially from self-induced pressure, your muscles behave and stiffen as if they don't belong to you.

19. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    Huabu means "skate on the court", "stick to the ground" will help you "defend on the court" while "floating" will prepare you for an attacking game, combine this two footwork you will have "Hua Bu".

20. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    Great one taneepak