Why +2lbs On The Cross?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Apr 7, 2003.

1. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I would say as long as there are no cracks or damage in the frame. It it does looked warped then there is probably something wrong with the frame and a high tension is not recommended

2. oonyz

oonyz Regular Member

Yonex !!!

I need help here.If I am using a Yonex Nanospeed 200 racquet.What tension should I have it strung to?.....My friend who does stringing service is suggesting stringing it at 24lbs or 25lbs with Nanogy 95.However upon looking at the stringing range for Nanospeed 200 it says 17lbs-22lbs.Please advice whether I can string it at 24 or 25 when it says 17-22.:confused:

3. baddyNIRvana

baddyNIRvana New Member

hi yall.. :)

dis is my first post in this forum, been following it for almost a year now
    i hve a query same as above, every racquet has some info like 3U, G4 which i do understand only thing is, wat does 17-22lbs means, is it tht the racquet can hold only till 22lbs or its 17 on main & 22 cross..... :confused:

4. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

To answer your question, please click on link below:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54471

5. Alom

Alom Regular Member

A good stringer can easily string that up to 24lb or 25lb with no problem. Some people have it much higher. The numbers (17lbs-22lbs) is the Yonex recommended tension which will be covered by the Yonex Warranty (against manufacturing defects), Yonex will replace the racket if damaged due to racket defect (if still under warranty period). If you string above that tension, it voids the warranty.

6. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    25 x 25 lbs:):D:D:D

7. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

guys.......a question here.....now i using 27x27 , if i going to +2lbs on cross......so i should string 25/27 or 26/28 ???? ......or 27x29 ???

8. The Godfather

The Godfather Regular Member

Racket Stringer
    A Question
    My pal said to string same tension on mains and crosses.
    Where I think +2lbs on crosses. We all have 6 point clamp down mounting.
    Which is right

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Both are right if the strung frames come out to about the same length and width. :)

10. xtorm

xtorm Regular Member

when to a shop to get my racket string at m=23 c=25

i ask for 4 knots, he was reluctant to do it, saying whats the point of having so many knots...but he did it anyway

actually is there no difference between 4 and 2 knots for this configuration? if its 2 knots, will the main tension change due to the higher tension caused by the crosses?

anyway m=23 c=25 feels softer then m=25 c=25 which i usually do, whats the tension i should ask for to get the same overall tension?

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

So many knots?:eek: Four-knot is perfectly acceptable (indeed, better, because it allows top-down stringing); your stringer must be a hard-core one-piece guy:D.

I've been experimenting a lot with this lately and I've arrived at the conclusion that 10% gives the least amount of deformation of the frame when compared to a blank frame. This is based on the amount of "shrinkage" when I release the 6/12 supports on the machine: my shoulders are only tightened to the point where the frame just begins to deform, and if the 6/12 come away with a tiny bit of resistance then I know I've kept the frame's original aspect ratio.

@xtorm, you should probably try 24/26.5 next time - on a 25/25 racket the crosses will increase the mains past their initial 25 so they'll end up more in the 27 region.

12. xtorm

xtorm Regular Member

haha...yea 4 knots perfectly make sense to me :D

as aspected the tension is too low for my liking....goto live with it for 1 month then cut it and redo :D

13. xtorm

xtorm Regular Member

how abt a racket with 20 main holes and 22 cross holes? same rules apply? just strung it with 24/26, it seems alot tighter then 23/25, which i think that machine is out of calibration..

14. erictung

erictung Regular Member

The guy that I buy my rackets from is an experienced badminton player that has his own shop. (With this, I'll assume he really knows his stuff, or at least really well)

He says where the hell did I get the +2 lb pounds on the cross from and he said it'll deform the frame, I tried to tell him what kwun said but he said that's for tennis rackets only since they're larger and able to hold better tensions.

Does it actually deform the frame? o__o

15. xtorm

xtorm Regular Member

erm....even the old uncle that were reluctant to do 4 knots for me says its better this way, it will remain really close if not same with the unstrung frame

16. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

If I order restring, would I say 24lb? Will they string 23x25lb or 24x24? If it is one piece stringing with electric machine, is it 24x24lb? Any distortion with electric machine?

17. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    I have not read all the 255 previous posts in this tread but I'll post my observations anyway.

Did a little experiment last week. I usually string my raquets 21x23 (if a yy cab) or 22x24 (if a yy iso). Just for fun I strung a cab 21 at 22x22. Heres what i found out: It feels much harder than 21x23. It actually feels like I put in about 3 lbs more. The "ping" sound is almost gone and it feels a bit dead when I play. The head is a few mm distorted.

18. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I believe what you're experiencing (the distortion in frame shape) is mostly due to the design of the carbonex racquets (cab 21 in your case) which is of a tear shape compared to the isometric frames which are more square.

I have tried 30x30lbs compared to 30x31lbs before using the same stringing configurations and string and I have not noticed any difference in the frame shapes of both (both racquets are the same brand and model). Interestingly the tension also doesn't feel too different, although the 30x30lbs racquet definitely felt a little more loose (the palm-hitting sound was also lower pitched) and the tension loss after a while was more compared to the 30x31lbs racquet.

19. radicalrev

radicalrev Regular Member

This might be a stupid question, but what if a stringer string the racket opposite in tension? such as owner wants 24/26 but the stringer strung 26/24 (26 on main and 24 on the cross).

What substantial damage would that cause to the frame?

20. araz916

araz916 Regular Member

Skill Work
    Are there any difference in power, control and feeling when someone string the racquet more tension (lbs) on the main then the cross?