China will NOT attend Super Series Finals

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2007' started by apontoh, Nov 25, 2007.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I believe you haven't been following trends for a while.CHN hasn't been winning the way they used to. the CO's a disaster. Probably the first time CHN gets less than half the titles and had it not been for official 'foul play', could have been only 1 out of 5 titles.
    Right now, CHN's desperate to maximise ranking points so they can field the max of 3 players per event. Even with that, CHN will unlikely land a title. If only 2 CHN per event, almost impossible for CHN to land a title because it means their players will have to be in lone ranger mode compared to team mode.
    The trend is non-CHN players have been improving while CHN 's just clinging onto the cliff.

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Thanks for the revealing stats. Great work.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The SS Finals and the Olympics are both "Invitation" events

Hi Krisna,

Perhaps I did not post correctly. :):):)

To me, the SS Finals and the Olympics are both "Invitation" events.

But I can see your point that if players wanted to be invited, then they have to gain ranking points to qualify for those events.

I was comparing "Invitation" events to "Open" events.

Cheers... chris@ccc

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    are you counting all internal matches as a walk over? i recall that Bao and Lin Dan had a huge 3 setter in Korea. Chen Yu had a 3 setter against Chen Jin in the All Englands. i don't think all were "fixed". but you do have a point.

the thing is though, we won't know the results until next year. IF, china comes out firing again next year, then China not attending will be proven as a smart choice. if they continue losing, then it's something different. BUT, until then, all we can really do is moan and groan. which i'd rather not do, and just watch who ever does go to the Finals.

5. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Chris...

In my opinion, we really cannot call OG and WC "invitation" event at all... In "invitational" events, you cannot sue or blame the organizers for not inviting you. It is the organizer's right to invite or not invite you. :p

In OG,WC, and SS Final a player like Peter Gade can blame or even sue the organizers if they reject his request to play in those tournaments. He is ranked number 5 - 8 in the world and he is the highest ranked Danish MS player. Thus, it is Peter Gade's right to be included in those championships because he met all the requirements to participate. :)

No invitation is extended at all for OC, WC, and SS Final. They are BWF tournaments where either you qualify or you don't. Yes they have different rules than normal "Open" events, but we cannot describe them as "invitation" events at all since no invitation whatsoever was extended. :p

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    SS Finals, Olympics, World Championships are "restricted" tournaments

Hey Krisna,

I have to agree with you that "invitation" might be the incorrect word to be used. :eek:

I was thinking more in the 'positive' sense... that the organisers of the SS Finals, Olympics, World Championships, etc... are inviting only the top ranked players to participate.

Perhaps, 'restricted' might be the correct word to be used... since the organisers are not actually sending out invitations.

Cheers... chris@ccc

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Aaah, 'restricted' is correct! ;) :D Ha ha ha...

8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Oh well, their lost.

9. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    if there is no china can taufik play???????

10. carolynwg

carolynwg Regular Member

Student
    mayb can... den wil PG participate?

11. kobe123

kobe123 Regular Member

maybe its a strategy by china

as mentioned before, the china badminton players are unlike other countries player . Other countries player are often exposed to competition condition to allow them to improve , " a sort of training" or may be try out what they have learnt. On the other hand , China , they have to train alot just to participate one tournament , thats y before SS was introduced , china only participate in very pretigious events , and very often make a much more better performance .

Maybe LYB wants them to start training?

12. kobe123

kobe123 Regular Member

anything china performance in the second half of the season is not satisfactory at all 1

13. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

In my opinion even at Super Series final, there need to be ranking point. Even Tennis Master Shield at year end had very large ranking points. The winner get about 650 points.

Note: Grand Slam winner get 1000 points.

And of course the most controversial rules made by BWF is only 3 players from the same country can play in Super Series finale that already been promote only best of the best can play there.

So what the point being the number 4 or 5 rank in the world but can not compete in SS final just cause he or she only rank number 4 in his/her country. Strange and silly rules.

And the most dumbest thing BWF did is , after only 16 days left to SS final event, BWF still not know where this event will play.

Mean while in tennis, the association already planned this year end event 3 years ahead. lol :D

14. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

And BWF want to made badminton as popular as tennis. Huahahaha keep dream on if they did not do any significant change.

The only change I saw BWF change so far:

1. The name. Useless.

2. The score. Not too helpful cause so far with new scoring still Asian players dominates most of the badminton results.

3. Change the ranking scoring with higher score for all the matches. Pretty useless again. Cause lets face it, in badminton you dont need to win A super series event to get high scores.

You only need to play lots of tournaments and try to at least reach quarter final. A winner of SS event get only 9200 points. A QF at SS event get 5040 points. So if you reach 2 QF at SS events, your points are more than winning one SS events. Very funny right?

Lets see tennis score. Winner at Grand slam get 1000 points. QF only get 250 points. So a player had to reach 4 QF to equal one win at grand slam. and they only had 4 Grandslam a year.

15. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

And if we take World Champion ship event equal Grand Slam event. The scoring will be more silly.

Cause After World Championship and Olympic points, SS events had the next highest points. But look at the points.

World and Olympic winner will had 12000 points. SS events winner had 9200 points. So they had only 22.5% difference points. And if you reach 2 SS semifinal series you will get 6420 x 2= 12840.

So 2 Semifinal at SS events will had more points than win Olympic or World CH which are the highest events in badminton world.

But in tennis , Grand Slam winner will get 1000 points, and Master Series events winner (these are the next important events after GS) get 500 points. SF at Master series only get 250 points. So in tennis, you had to reach 4 Master Series SF to equal a Grand Slam winner.

The only reason BWF made that kind of scoring is too made the top difference ranking points in Top 10 not too far away. Cause if the badminton point system follow tennis , Lin Dan and maybe LCW will leave all the players in dust in ranking points kind of Roger and nadal in tennis.

BWF wanted to made impression that the fcompetition in badminton are very tight and fierce and the score between each players in top 20 or top 10 are very closed.

And like we all knows, most of the time in any top badminton events, the same few players always show up at the SF or final stages.

Other players probably reach lots of QF, one or two times in SF and maybe a final or a win in less top event. But their score are not too far from ranking number 1 and 2.

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Max 2 per country, hcpoirot...

Everything else, I agree completely with you! ;) :D

17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yeah, agree with the rules that describe about limitation of player from same country, sounds ridiculuous and unfair. The best of 8 should be meaning top-8 SS rank without any exceptional. I guess BWF just want to prevent one country too dominates SS Final.

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I don't think the intention from BWFs part really, is what you mentioned.. I think the intention from BWF part was to make sure players don't skip SS tournaments, thus giving good points for advancement in the tournaments, to maker it costly for the top players to skip tournaments ranking-point wise..

/T

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think, the way LYB uses chineese players as "team" in the international torunaments is forcing BWD to limit the number of players. This is BWFs only way to stop match fixing.

Sadly I think China is digging its own grave for its great athletes with all the WO's & retirements, and not all-out competetions between competitors from CHN.. The only way to stop this is really to put a limit to 2 player / country and place them on different halves in the draw.. Otherwise it will always be an advantage for players playing as a "team" against opponents playing each to their own..

/Twobeer

20. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    To be honest if I were a member of the top brass in sports of China I'd only ask if we came home with the gold/medal/trophy; the rest is just a matter of presentation. The current situation, especially in terms of talent pools as well as international regulations made it possible to do so and I'll find it hard to blame them for doing it - unless it's illegal of course.