Badminton In Seoul

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by Oldhand, Aug 19, 2007.

1. event

event Regular Member

You are at Bojeong, right? Not Bokjeong? Both yellow line but big difference. In any case, there is a gym with a 1500won entrance fee at Suji Fitness park 1.7km from Jukjeon Station. Faster to get there by bus from Gangnam, though, as 1550 and 6800 both get you to within 500m of the gym. There might be a similar deal at the Bundang Olympic Sports Centre, just SE of Seohyun Station, but I don't know for a fact.

2. negon

negon Regular Member

engineer
    Yes I'am at bojeong. I do know jukjeon station but i havent heard of the suji fitness park, would it be okay if could provide me a snapshot of the exact location. Is there any website we could look into for details, i.e. schedule of the gym, do they require reservations? is it first come first serve basis? would there be racquetes for rent etc..

Thanks again.

3. negon

negon Regular Member

engineer
    suji.jpg

is it aound here?

4. event

event Regular Member

Okay, this link should show you the GS25 / Paris Baguette area where you can get off the bus (the bus stop, #29755 has the rather unfortunate name of 동아아파트.삼익아파트.풍림아파트 or Donga Apateu, Samik Apateu, Poongnim Apateu). As you should be able to see from the map, you walk back in the direction the bus came from, then turn right (south) and walk 300m south and you'll be opposite the park. Turn right and go over the giant pedestrian overpass and keep going a bit more to get to the gym itself. A little more information is in Korean here.

The opening times should be until 10PM, as the Any Club plays until that time there. No reservations, that I know of. Clubs play there but it is public and has an entry fee so the clubs operate as cliques and they might exclude you and play with themselves if they don't like you or you're not good enough. If the gym is busy, all you can do is get 4 people for a game, play the game, and get off the court. If you're just rallying around and warming up for too long without playing a game, then 4 people who have arranged a game will walk on the court and boot you off. Many gyms, including this one, I think, have a system where 4 people who intend to play a game will stack 4 shuttles beside the net post to signal to those presently playing that they are waiting to use the court. You play, you get off, you find 4 people for another game and stack your shuttles on a court and wait.

No racquets for rent. There is a pro shop on the second floor of the adjacent building where you can buy whatever you need or have a racquet restrung. If you join a club, most of this will be similar except that the club members will fix you up for a game and if it's in a school, there won't be a shop nearby. Instead, one of the club members will likely sell privately to the rest of the club and will always have at least shuttles on hand to sell, with racquets on request, quite often.

5. event

event Regular Member

Oh yes, not only the buses from Gangnam but also 27 from Jukjeon and 500, 1550-3, 7, 7-2, 720, 720-1, 700-2, 77-1, and 730 all do the short hop there from Migeum Station.

6. event

event Regular Member

That's it. The gym is on the extreme left side of that red box, to the left of the leftmost soccer field. The top left corner of your aerial photo is where you would get off the bus.

7. negon

negon Regular Member

engineer
    bads.jpg

is it the giant overpass(the one in the redbox)?
    which of the green, yellow and blue box is the gym?

8. event

event Regular Member

Correct, the red box is the overpass. The green box is the gym. The website is incorrect. There are more than 5 courts. Used to be 9 now 7 or 8, I think, since they installed washrooms and changing rooms with showers.

9. negon

negon Regular Member

engineer
    Thank you very much for your help. we would definitely check this one out..

Another thing, the one that you mentioned where in the gangnam club plays, do you have any info on how it works out there?
    I think its the most convinient place for me and all of my friends during weekdays.

Sorry for having too much question, hope you wont be fed up with my quiries.

10. event

event Regular Member

I don't know how it works. There are 3 or 4 public facilities in Gangnam and one thing they all seem to have in common is that the clubs listed that operate within them all meet in the mornings only. Gangnam Club is the same deal, 6-8AM. In situations like this, I am sometimes tempted to just show up at the location in the evening just to see what it's being used for but with one of these places, the Gangnam Sporex, the facility website mentions the same hours for badminton. It doesn't however, have any information on what the gym is being used for in the evening. It seems as if the local schools might be the only option for evenings in the Yeoksam area. Incidentally, I posted some other relevant information here.

11. docden

docden Regular Member

physician
    badminton in seoul SNUH/boramae attn:event

Hi event,
    it seems like everyone comes to seek your opinion and ask advice from u when it comes to playing in seoul...
    so i will do the same ;)
    i just arrived in seoul 2 weeks ago for a year of clinical fellowship at SNU hospital but i will rotate in 3 hospitals
    i'm now staying in sillim-dong around 10 min walk fr sillim station at line no.2
    i'm looking for a place to play and people tp play with
    i'm probably a low-intermediate player
    hope u can help me
    thanks

12. event

event Regular Member

There is the Boramae club, which plays in Daebang Middle School. It's at the top of this list. Sounds like they are only in the mornings, though. #14 on the list plays in Youngdeungpo High School, which is a fair piece to the northeast of you. #8 on the list plays at the Youngdeungpo Middle School next door. Several others are on the other side of SNU station. You might be better off taking the subway and playing in the clubs mentioned in the SNU thread. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

13. event

event Regular Member

There's another club in Bundang in Seohyeon Middle School. They play in the evenings. If you want somewhere with an admission fee (as opposed to having to join a club in order to pay for the facility), I don't know if the Bundang Olympic Sports Centre is like that or not. Suji Fitness Park has an admission fee, though and lots of buses go there from Bundang.

14. event

event Regular Member

negon and docden, did you have any luck finding a place to play badminton in Seoul and otherwise?

15. docden

docden Regular Member

physician
    Hi event, yes one of the bc members ryan27 (i think this is his handle) invited me to play at Gwanak middle school with the SNUcock club, mostly SNU grads and undergrads who play there every tue, fri and sat. though lately i havent found the time to play much. how are things? i hope all is well...

16. algonquinsmash

algonquinsmash Regular Member

Rock Haul truck operator
    Good day Event.. where do you like to play at at or home club ?

17. event

event Regular Member

I'm not much help to Seoulites. I play in Suwon and Yongin. I did play once with the SNU club at Gwanak, though. I've played in about a dozen cities all over Korea and it's very rare to see such a young group.

18. algonquinsmash

Rock Haul truck operator
    Hi event.. Is there any good clubs near Deadeck-dong ?

19. event

event Regular Member

Check your Romanization. Even if I assume you mean 'Dae' rather than 'Dea', 'deck' involves pure guesswork. The closest I can come is 대덕동, which is in Goyang, though just over the border from Seoul. I still can't recommend a 'good club'. I just get these from an online list. For Seoul, the list of Eunpyeong-gu clubs is huge. For the Goyang side, one place to start might be the Goyang threads, which are here and here. For your area, the Deokyang-gu list might be relevant but I don't see any in Daedeok-dong.

I'm not going to say any more yet, though, in case my guess at your Romanization is wrong.

#99 event, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  20. algonquinsmash

Rock Haul truck operator
    Thank you again, sorry for the wrong spelling.. I'll be staying near Dwight School*Seoul*1582-1 Sangam-dong,Mapo-gu, SeoulKorea 121-835