Player(s) in New York, US - Anyone???

Discussion in 'USA East' started by LazyBuddy, Sep 23, 2002.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

If you only want to play on weekdays, then NYC badminton (manhattan sites) might be the only choices, assume you do not drive.

If you want to play on the weekends, then there's NYC badminton (queens sites) and a few other choices as well. However, public transportation might take some time and nerves, but if you drive, then, that's a different story. ;)

2. pblgarcia

pblgarcia Regular Member

Cancer, Research
    Sadly I dont drive hehe no surprise. Anyway, I like tuesdays at nycbadminton. I think I'll do a year membership.

3. DEN8818

DEN8818 Regular Member

CP Badminton - Grand Opening on Jun 14, 09 11:00am
    YONEX USA President Mr. Hiro may also be there and YONEX sponsor FREE gift for the ceremony. Sign-up for 10x Prepaid Pass You will get a FREE YONEX T-Shirt & 1 dz. Shuttlecocks(Total of $50 Value). AM1480 DJs will host the event live.

[​IMG]

4. pblgarcia

pblgarcia Regular Member

Cancer, Research
    Did cpbadminton change their floors yet?

5. DEN8818

DEN8818 Regular Member

[​IMG]

6. pblgarcia

pblgarcia Regular Member

Cancer, Research
    Nice! Looks awesome!

7. kevin k

kevin k New Member

hey i live in binghamton, NY, where is the closest place to play some quality badminton?

8. pblgarcia

pblgarcia Regular Member

Cancer, Research
    So i went and they only have 3 courts with the mats. And there's a rule where you can't play without yonex sneakers??? I dont like that rule.

9. Evan77546

Evan77546 Regular Member

LOL actually they only have two. and there's no rule that you can't play without yonex sneakers, they said you can't play without "nonmarking sneakers"

someone explain plz.

10. Happy_Cdn

Happy_Cdn Regular Member

I haven't been there myself but the rule of non-marking shoes is not unusual amongst badminton gyms as they want to preserve the quality of the court as much as possible (especially the lines).

Most gyms provide shoe rental service at a minimal cost (~$2) for people who are unaware of the policy.

Too bad this place is so far from NYC (esp for those who don't have a car)! Anyone want to split a cab ride there from the city? :)

11. pblgarcia

pblgarcia Regular Member

Cancer, Research
    What brand of shoes are non-marking? All i have are pumas and nike :( Oh and you can take the E train to 71st or 7 to main st. A cab from there would be cheaper!

12. Happy_Cdn

Happy_Cdn Regular Member

Generally, the court shoes (volleyball, squash, & of course badminton) are non-marking and not really a factor of the make/brand of the shoes.

The visual "test" that most of the badminton gyms perform is they look the bottom of the sole & see if it is dark in colour. (Yes I know, a flawed test as I own non-marking shoes with grey/black soles but that's what they do.)

The shoes with the rubbery-tan looking soles usually pass the test.

Thx for the transport tip. :)

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you tend to play often and competitive, a pair of badminton (or volleyball) shoes is a must. Top end models may cost about US$100-120, well mid-end may be around $50-70 range, if you get a deal. It's not only help the gyms to maintain their floor, but also help yourself to prevent injuries.

Besides Yonex, other reputable manufacture includes Victor, LN, Winnex, Fleet, Mizuno, SOTX, etc. Most of such can not be easily found locally, and you need to order online (sometimes, it's a pain as you are not sure about the size and feel). Locally, quite a few gym carries Yonex shoes. Besides cp badminton, you can purchase shoes from www.nycbadminton.com or www.brooklynbadminton.com

I believe Nike makes court shoes as well (from cross training categories?), just need to make sure its "non marking".

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Actually, when you get to main street, I believe you can take Q65 to somewhere close to the gym. Of course, if late at night, get a ride from follow club members to the nearby subway station might be a much better and safer choice.

15. pblgarcia

pblgarcia Regular Member

Cancer, Research
    Yeah, plus that ride would take forever!

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    CP's is not very location friendly for ppl who does not have a car. Especially at night time and/or bad weather days. If possible, try to car pool with a follow member (or a few) to go together. It's cheaper, safer, faster, and you have someone to play with. ;)

17. Happy_Cdn

Happy_Cdn Regular Member

Is this area a bit sketchy ie dangerous?

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The area probably ok at day time. Once it's getting dark, try not be the only one on the street.

19. pblgarcia

pblgarcia Regular Member

Cancer, Research
    I think its fine. I used to live in bayside and i had to take the 7 from the city and the main bus hub is in main st. I did it everyday. I took the ten PM bus. One time I had to take the bus after midnight. It really isnt a big deal. I'm a girl (i'm tiny and I can look vulnerable lol) but i found it really safe :) The 65 to CP shouldnt be that bad. I'm not sure how many blocks you have to walk to the club but i think you will be fine. I know girls who do it all the time.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Bayside is one of the safest area in Queens (well, besides car racing or car theft), while white stone at night (especially at industrial zone) is definitely not. Better be safe than sorry, that's all my suggestion.

I believe Q65 runs on college point blvd in whitestone, which is a few blocks away from the gym.