Super Series Grand Finale Group Stage (12-14 December 2012)

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2012' started by etudiant, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I read this as well, it goes something along the lines off:

"Even if withdrawing injured, players must attend tournament for BWF Promotional activities and interviews"

2. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

tell us that comparing LD and LCW to Nadal and Federer of tennis is really unfair? :D

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    But that is not really the same as being fined for injury.. That just states that you should help with promotional activities if you are injured and it allows you to do that.. Isn't that fair enough? Signing authographs, commenting matches and talking to fans, vip:s etc. should be possible even with a sprained ankle or thigh injury, or???

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As for the BWF USD5K penalty, my understanding is that a top 10 player, even if he is injured, as long as he can walk (with assistance?) , has to be present at the tournament venue to carry out promotional activities for BWF if he is to be exempted from paying the fine.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In my humble opinion, BWF should realise that not only the Superseries tournaments are important , the players are valuable assets too. What is a grand spectacular contest without the best players competing due to injury or other reasons? Shouldn't BWF be taking good care of the players too in order that the Superseries can live up to its reputation and status deserving of its top billing?

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I thought if they withdraw & didnt finish the group matches, no prize $$$ but avoid the USD5,000 fine. Didnt check the BWF rules on that though

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I am a fan of facts and statistics..

Lets look at LCWs schedule from OG leading up to SSF:

Japan Open = on-court-time = 2 hours 38 minutes
    Denmark Open = on-court-time = 3 hours 29 minutes
    Hong Kong Open = on-court-time = 3 hours 24 minutes

So all in all 9 and a half hours of hard competion-play on between 2012-08-05 and 2012-12-12.

Thats about 3 hours of matchplay / month on average..

Can we really argue that this schedule is unreasonably hard on the players?? I imagine that the volume training and preparation time put in are far more demanding than the actual tournament-schedule itself for the top pros?!?!

8. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    This is supposed to be the cream of super seriers tournaments but nothing near it. What a bloody joke. I am just waiting for AE next year.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

CBA and their main sponsor,Li Ning, understand the star players are valuable assets, particularly Lin Dan. That's why CBA approved of Lin Dan's six-month leave post-Olympics, and allowed him to select or skip certain tournaments in the past, and are willing to accede to his request for a special training regime that suits his needs if he is to carry on playing in future.

10. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yes, this is also my understanding. The injured player must attend promotional activities organised by BWF. Sit down & sign autographs, answer interviews, present gifts/prizes also can I think. Saina was injured last SS Finals & had to pay the fine since she didnt turn up.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    was Wang Xin fined US$5250 even though she just had a surgery in Germany?

#511 pcll99, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks for the stats, I get your point. But Lee CW is grousing about the whole year and the previous year after year, not just the few months post-Olympics. He said that in the post-match interview after his shocked loss to Du Pengyu.

Actually, I was a bit taken back by his outburst during the interview though I did sense something unusual or wrong with him after the Olympics, what with skipping the CHN Masters and CHN Open but still play in CBSL, his wedding preparations and all those activities and matters surrounding it such as the reporters hounding him, his family scandals, etc. Then the defeat by Chen Long which unsettled him and finally the humiliating loss to Du Pengyu was the straw that broke the camel's back.It was as if he suddenly let go his pent up emotions and saying enough is enough.

You can say a considerable part of it has to do with matters outside or unrelated to badminton directly and so shouldn't be blamed on the tournament schedule. But the point is , well, that's life; nobody being ordinary mortals can really separate work or career from his private life. To make matters worse, the many tournaments he has to play and the sponsorship obligations to meet, all add up to a breaking point.

13. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

fair enough i think.

btw, is there any chance that those injured players that play in this year SSF just attending the tournament, not for free from the fine, but to gain more additional cash? because as AlanY mentioned before, even the last finisher in the group would get $3,000. what do you think?

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The way I see it, even if the problem affects only a handful of the top players in general and consistently, not just the odd one for his/her personal or special reasons, that is already cause for concern. For without these star attractions, the main draw in any super tournament, the long-term consequences for all the parties involved can be quite damaging to the sport.

I mean, we can have the 12 SS/PSS tournaments plus one SSF, not to mention the GPGs, but the requirements, demands, goals,expectations, obligations ,terms and conditions, can all be worked out with some give-and-take, some meaningful compromises to reach a viable solution that benefits everybody as far as possible. Where there's a will, there's a way.

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

What a ridiculous statement. There is no athlete (who is drug free that is) that doesn't deserve the medal they win at the Olympics.

*don't feed the troll*

16. tham.nguyen

tham.nguyen Regular Member

IT
    There are videos have been uploaded on youtube. Just in case you can not view in you country due to some reasons, you can watch them here http://watchbadminton.com

17. dedema

dedema New Member

It looks like CHina is on the way to sweep all the titles in this Super Series Grand finale. If that happens, it will make CHina the current holder of all the World Champion titles, all the Oplympic gold medals, all the Team match titles (T-Cup, U-Cup, and Surdiman) and all the Superseries Grand final titles. A complete set!

18. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

LXR vs SN facts

LXR vs SN: (fr BWF record)

H2H: LXR leads 4:2

Win-loss stat:

LXR: 126-28 (81.8% winning rate) for career; 54-5 (91.5% winning rate) for this year

SN: 204-89 (69.9% winning rate) for career; 41-11 (78.8% winning rate) for this year

Facts tell, no BS!

No one could rule out absolutely SN could surpass LXR in all these record in future, yet the deadly facts tell everyone who's better up to now at least! Isn't this already proved??? :D

#518 Jonc108, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

there is not going to be an air of doubtness, you are just trying to provoke a reaction by posting nonsense statements on this forum. People remember the unbeaten run she went on prior to the Olympics which allowed her selection, not the nonsense you post.

You know, with what you allege Saina might say does not help the reputation that Saina has (rightly or wrongly) for coming across as arrogant. Well done you for helping her image. :rolleyes:

You have sources for all these groundbreaking scoops you seem to have stumbled on?

Li Xuerui is Olympic Champion, Saina Nehwal is not. Until then, your doubt is misplaced and purely created to wind up other people...

EDIT: Seems the troll I replied to has disappeared, good job mods! :p

20. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    *scratching my head* why is my post removed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.